Customs: you wanted to see some difference in chrome?!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Jul 9, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, these pics are not that great, but it will give you an idea.

To spray correctly, you must wait for the black gloss base to be almost completely dry. I have found ALSA Mirror chrome and Alclad II to be the most durable.

I will be honest, you can see a difference with the Mirror chrome than all the others, including spaz stick mirror chrome. But, for doing everyday chrome, go with ALCLAD II. It is almost as reflective. But when sprayed correct, well, look at the difference. (optimus head was not buffed yet)
    Alsa mirror chrome($80.00 per 4oz)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ALCLAD II (this is what I am working on but ran out of black base and ALCLAD II
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Hey encline. Just curious what base paints are you using for the Alclad?
    I found that using gloss black Krylon fusion gives the same if not better results than the alclad black base.....and its cheaper.

But the mirror looks pretty too. Just don't want to pay $80 for it. (yeah im cheap :) 

3. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

That's really awesome. 2 questions though. How much is the ALCLAD II per oz.? Also, what did you use to get the blues and reds so shiny on the OP in that pic?

4. encline

News Credits:
    krylon.. really. how does it lay out? smooth enough? I have used the ALCALD black base, but man it stays tacky forever and gets all kinds of crap in it!!! I hear you about the $80, I am just glad there are options.

ALCLAD II is like $8.00 for 2oz or something. That is why I say unless you just need to, go with alclad.

The reds and blue are actually transparent acrylic Tamyira (I don't know how to spell it) paints, airbrushed over the mirror chrome. It keeps the reflectiveness of the chrome, gives it color, and protects it!!

5. MacrossFA19

Ebay:
    I honestly think the Krylon fusion goes on better(easier, spray and walk away), smoother, faster, and "dries in 15 minutes".

I used the same Tamiya method with my Sideswipe & Sunstreaker set. Stuff is wonderful-I <3 Tamiya. And they have all different colors of transparents. Tamiya is all that I bother to use anymore.

6. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Yay for Tamiya and all things Jap!! Ahem..Hehe!

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

OK, i have just gotten my Alclad II, because of this thread. Now, i just need to know what you use for buffing, and also to protect the chrome?

8. encline

News Credits:
    mirror chrome is the only one that needs to be buffed. When you spray it it builds up, so when it gets buffed it knocks off the unnecessary pigments.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still think the alsa looks better, don't get me wrong, alclad is awesome, but that alsa mirror chrome is gorgereous (yea, its spelled wrong on purpose).

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, forgot this too, the alclad in this picture, to me, looks more like polished metal to me, not chrome unfortunately. Not saying it looks horrible, just not as good as the alsa brand.

11. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

ok so spray the alclad while the base still has a lil bit of tackness to it...?...i remember some 1 mentioned this....for the alclad to have more of a durable finish ...

12. encline

News Credits:
    It helps I have noticed. BUT THERE IS A FINE LINE TIME LIMIT. Which as a pinter, you know how that goes. To tacky and it dulls the shine, to dry and it is not as durable.

I just tried the fusion, I have to get my can techniques down to lay it out flat!!!

13. MacrossFA19

Ebay:
    Damn right! Not to sound stereo typical but, it seems like most Japanese stuff is made to last (Though I still prefer Ford over Honda).

When I use the Krylon, I let it dry the 15 minutes (or 20-25) then I go right on with the Alclad. Seems to come out a bit more shinny/reflective. I am not sure about durability, I haven't exactly tested for that. And not buff, but I rub it down when its dry with a "soft cloth", no elbow grease needed.

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

Would you mind if you get the chance to test the durability of the Krylon/Alclad combo? Maybe on a scrap. That would really make this process seem more accessible to me if it has comparable or superior chip/flake/rub resistance.

Is it also true that chrome makes it go faster? That's what my hot rodding buddies say!:p 

15. MacrossFA19

Ebay:
    Will do. I am spraying my next custom tommorow morning, i'll do a piece then.

16. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I appreciate that bud! Looking forward to it.:thumbs2: 

17. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

why not dump some of the krylon into an airbrush ...?

18. encline

News Credits:
    no reason. i know guys who do thatt and i think i might start

19. MacrossFA19

Ebay:
    Just how would you go about doing that? just spray it into the little bottle? And what kind of thinner would you use to clean the gun? I know krylon has xylol in it to help fuse with the plastic).

Anywho tried testing the durability of chrome alclad on Transformer plastic and styrene. I sprayed Gloss Black krylon fusion on a piece of 1/4" round stock tube styrene. I let it dry for 30 minutes exactly. Did the same with voyager RotF Primes parts (grill, guns, gas tanks). I cut the styrene tube in half and rubbed the sticks together like I was starting a forrest fire. At first there was no show of wear, but eventually it rubbed of in the areas I rubbed them together. (I did rub them pretty hard). The transformer RotF Prime, the moment I transformed his guns the parts rubbed and I saw some of the black base. Suprisingly the styrene had a much more durable finish. I sprayed them equally and dusted on the alclad. Only thing I can think of if the styrene had a better bond with the fusion, beings it was straight plastic, and Primes guns are abs I believe.? Another note, When I cut the styrene, the chrome kinda flaked off, not gonna cut Primes guns, but I am not sure if that I would have Primes guns that would have happened.

I am gonna try some more tommorow. I think I am allergic to the alclad or the lacquer thinner. Broke out in hives after I sprayed them. I'll find out tommorow for sure.

hope that was informative.

Mac

20. encline

News Credits:
    Interesting for sure. I am going to do the same test with mirror chrome. I bought 8oz of that stuff so I can spare a 1/16th of an oz for the good of all:)  Last time I used mirror chrome the base rubbed off before the chrome. So I will try it again.

I think Frenzy-Rumble sprays krylon into a bottle. I have cleaned up fusion with laquer thinner or non-acetone nail polish remover before.