You love Transformers, but don't read the comics...why not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Greyley, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

(*Mods, please please please don't move this thread to the comic forum...this is intended for people who DON'T read comics, so moving it there would make the thread completely pointless.*)

We've been having a discussion over on the IDW board about the relative lack of popularity of the current Transformers comics. To make a long story short, TF fandom in general is huge, but the comics themselves have modest sales. It appears that the majority of fandom doesn't read them, and I'm curious as to why.

I'd love to hear from the overall population of TF fans, not just hardcore comic fans. If you don't currently read the comics, you're exactly who I need to hear from! :) 

--Do you read Transformers comics?

--If not, have you ever tried them?

--If you once read them but stopped, what made you stop?

--What do you think of Transformers comics as a medium?

--What barriers are there to you obtaining/enjoying them?

--What would you like to see done differently?

Feel free to say anything on your mind about TF comics or comics in general, even if it doesn't fit the above questions.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I read the Marvel ones (US & UK), and I loved them. I had high hopes for the Dreamwave ones but they disappointed me a lot (not to mention Pat Lee being a scumbag and not paying people tainting the entire run). IDW started well, but All Hail Megatron damaged what they had built up badly with shoddy writing and inconsistencies everywhere. That is where I stopped reading them regularly.
    Last Stand Of The Wreckers was excellent (even though I dont much care for the protrayal of Overlord as a loony, it was so well written and the art was so damn good that I can forgive that completely), but I still don't feel like collecting a comic line that I'm not that fond of unless IDW can keep that level of quality going. Ongoing is okay, so I might start picking that up.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I read the Marvel comics a bit as a kid and then all the way through once I returned to the fandom about ten years ago (back when TFArchive had them all scanned on their site). Aside from reading War Within, though, I've never really bothered with any of the other comics. It's odd, as I love Transformers and I love comic books, but I have absolutely zero interest in reading TF comics.

If I had to break it down, I suppose it might be that I don't feel a need for different takes on G1. G1 was cool and all, but it's been over for twenty years now and I don't really want to go back there again. I'm fine with delving into the backstory, like TWW or WFC, but full on rewrites of G1 just don't interest me. Probably because I consider the cartoon to be the definitive (albeit flawed) version of the story and everything else - even the contemporary comic book - as apocrypha.

Would I read non-G1 comics? Eh... maybe. I don't care for the movie stuff enough to read any of that, but if we got an Animated continuation I'd be the first to camp out outside the comic store Tuesday night. That's really the only Transformers comic that wold interest me.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    To get to the point, most people don't read them because they generally suck monkey balls.

IDW changes its continuity with each comic, its very jarring to say the least. Look at the whole -tion series mess.

Anything Nick Roche does is well liked though.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I read the Marvel run as a kid and still get a kick out of them, and the G2 stuff is a guilty pleasure. The same goes for the Dreamwave books. IDW's stuff is a little too inconsistent for my tastes and the endless variant covers makes the collector in me scream in pain.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I own the Titan TPBs for the entire Marvel US G1/G2 run, all of the Marvel UK stuff they published, print-outs of "Another Time and Place" and "Alignment", everything DW published, all of the GI Joe crossovers, IDW's G1 stuff up until Revelations, all of IDW's BW stuff and IDW's movieverse stuff up through Alliance/Defiance.

The Marvel US stuff is my favorite, with the UK issues fleshing the universe out nicely, I just wish the Titan TPBs had printed the UK stuff in order so I didn't have to jump around to read it. DW's work was pretty good and their profile books were outstanding; my copies of MTMTE TPBs are well-read. I thought the Energon series had the most potential, though the G1 series was really good too, despite the fan wank and bringing in Unicron again. IDW, I initially liked the fresh take they were bringing to the mythos and was looking forward to seeing that explored a bit more, but it started flying off the rails about midway through Devastation.

Two reasons:
    - Main reason is being extremely unhappy with how IDW has handled the G1 franchise. I initially stopped after reading Revelations, because of how badly the story was truncated, but was planning to give AHM a chance in trades. I gave up on that after the news that AHM was a soft reboot, all of the reviews saying AHM ranged from awful to mediocre, the whole Gary Stu Drift-chan debacle, the ongoing being another soft reboot, reviews suggesting that the ongoing is as bad as AHM or worse, etc.
    - Less of a factor, but still significant for me, is the $4 per issue cover price for the monthly titles; not paying that much for a monthly comic (I'm in the process of dropping monthlies entirely because of the move to $4/issue). Trades are cheaper, but by the time trades come out, I've been turned off by all the bad reviews of the stories.

One thing I like about the comic medium is that it allows the writers some flexibility in what they can do with the TFs. They can tell more mature stories without having to worry about whether it's too mature to make it as a cartoon episode. They can expand upon neglected characters, rather than having to focus solely on the new toy that needs to be sold. They provide more of an opportunity to expand the universe in which the characters live, etc.

Mostly covered above, but:
    - Obtaining - Cover price.
    - Enjoying - IDW's handling of the franchise.

As unlikely as it is to happen, I'd like to see another company get the license. I liked what IDW was doing at first, but I think they've really dropped the ball on this whole thing and I just don't think it's salvageable, at this point.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you read Transformers comics?

Not often.

--If not, have you ever tried them?

Yes.

--If you once read them but stopped, what made you stop?

I read to the end of my issue.

--What do you think of Transformers comics as a medium?

Most of them are terrible.

--What barriers are there to you obtaining/enjoying them?

Money.

--What would you like to see done differently?

Get rid of Simon Furman and his ridiculous hard-on for killing characters.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    The reason I don't read the comics is that there isn't a comic book store around me. Another is I don't exactly have the cash. And third, I don't really care.

9. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Personally, I prefer the shows myself, and getting back into the hobby (sorta) recently, there's a LOT I've gotta watch. I've already got enough continuities spinning around in my head that I don't need to add the myriad of comic continuities to that list. That being said, I do plan on reading some eventually, now's just not the time.

10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I don't read comics because they're expensive and you don't get much anymore. 4$ per issue with 6-10 pages if your lucky? Fuck that.

11. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Got nowhere to buy them unfortunately.

12. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    Started reading TFcomics with IDW because of Furman, since I heard great things about him from his Marvel days. Picked up every issue from Infiltration to Revelations and the Spotlights.Really enjoy it.

I started to stop when when I first heard that AHM was going to be a soft reboot. Did not enjoy this series since it felt very detach from the previous establish issues. It didn’t help that the witting and pacing sucked donkey balls. Felt like a TF fanfic of a Sunbow episode . Never got pass issue 5. Did pick up Maximum Dinbots tough since it tied lose end from Furman's run.

Heard IDW was doing soft reboot again (never a good sign) and were getting Figueroa do the art. Picked the first 5 issues. The writing again just sucks donkey balls; Prime, Prowl and Thundercraker all seem to think human are just so awesome. Read the reviews for the other issues, it only gets worse with issue 7 technical being a Spike Spotlight where he single handily offs a Con.Won't be picking any of the future issues.

Overall I think the newer stories kind of feel like Sunbow episodes. It kinda lost that complex, adult feel that Furman original brought with the cold war type espionage/protocols and a galaxy spanning war instead of just of a earth centric story. For now , WFC satisfies my fix for Transformers until TF: Prime comes out. Don't really see the need to waste my money on second rate writing.

13. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

Because the nearest comci stores are rather out of the way.

14. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I read the G1 based comics, and to a lesser extent, the Movie, TFA, and Unicron Trilogy comics. I like the stories, because they tell me who the characters are, as opposed to just being a figure on my self.

15. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    I used to buy and love everything from IDW's g1 output, but the string of editorial decisions they have made since the beginning of AHM have all but killed my enjoyment of their comics. Why should I, or anyone pay good money to read their output when its clear that they don't read it themselves? I could understand the number of retcons, dropped points and continuity errors, were they writing comics based on the old marvel continuity, but to handle 4 years of continuity that they created the way they have is unforgivable.

Very little they do now has any impact because you know, just know when a new writer arrives, most of the major changes and events in continuity the previous author established will be either be dropped and never spoken of again or retconned in such a way that it makes you resent the new author, look at Sunstreaker/Hunter, or Costa's handling of the Decepticon victory. To make matters worse, they keep saying they need to drop things to make the comics accessible to new readers or talking down to the reader (Continuum, Bumblebee), their attitude left me feeling that as a long term reader, I'm taken for granted, they feel I'll buy no matter what so they can write the bulk of their comics aimed at people who don't read them regardless of how many long term fans they're alienating in the process.

I made it to issue 6 of the ongoing before finally putting my hands up and saying 'no more', I'm sorry, I don't like being taken for granted, being expected to keep paying for things I don't enjoy and feeling like I'm being punished for paying attention. They've stripped away everything I enjoyed from the bulk of their continuity and what's left in its place is is basically Sunbow grade writing trying desperately to be mature and gritty in a 90's image comic way, featuring things like grave markers being banged in with skulls and Spike driving Breakdown to a booty call.

They throw us a bone occasionally with books like Last Stand of the Wreckers which was well written, if a little violent, but that's not enough to keep me as a regular reader anymore, the prospect of 4 years worth of Mike Costa's books which will no doubt contain 1 year's worth of a rather uninspiring story filled with Spike and the idiot ball is just too much for me. I may pick up g1 continuity miniseries or Spotlights, if they're written by authors I enjoy, or have heard nothing but good things about, but that's it. They've squandered my good will and my biggest regret as a transformers fan is that I didn't drop IDW's output at the beginning of AHM.

At this point, I'll only consider returning to being a regular reader if someone else takes over the license or in the unlikely event of Furman being put in place in charge of editorial duties and control of continuity with a writing team of Roche, Roberts, McCarthy and Mowry fleshing things out with other new writers being blooded in spotlight issues as they should have from day 1.

16. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I've read a lot of the Marvel comics but never finished them. Read the G1 Dreamwave stuff and have been meaning to get to the Armada/Energon comics, I've also read most of the pre-AHM IDW stuff. I haven't been reading the new ongoing because of no nearby comic store.

I'm kinda disappointed by how many TF fans that don't read any of the comics and only think of the cartoon when they think of G1 when there's many different, interesting takes on the G1 universe

17. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Occasionally. Last one I read since Revalations was Last Stand of the Wreckers.
    All Hail Megatron.
    I'm more into the animation side(I like cartoons, what can I say?), so I either like them because they tie into something I enjoy (Transformers Animated: The Arrival), or because the story manages to engage me (Infiltration, Escalation, Devastation, Revalation, Last Stand of the Wreckers).
    A general lack of a cohesive continuity or consistently paced story, due mostly to All Hail Megatron. Also a lack of comics that tie into what I enjoy (I'm not huge into G1, I love Beast Wars, but so far all the Beast Wars comics IDW's put out are kind of...not great.)
    A little more deliberation before you go off on something like All Hail Megatron, tearing down quite a few things Simon Furman built up and I was genuinely enjoying Transformers comics for the first time...ever. I liked the pace of the comics pre-AHM, and while I enjoyed Last Stand of the Wreckers, that's an exception to the current rule. Also see if there's any way you could do something that would turn heads, like an anthology series that actually does more than just take Transformers characters and stick them in a different time period (Hearts of Steel). Something almost Elseworlds-y, that could let writers not only change the setting, but shake up the way Transformers stories are normally structured. If you HAVE to 'shake things up', try doing it that way instead of mucking around with the main titles the way AHM did.

I suppose I should throw in a comment desiring more Animated comics (Has to be written by Marty Isenberg, though), since IDW somehow is the only way we'll ever get any more Animated stories ever. Plus I've enjoyed everything Animated-related IDW's released so far, even the screenshot-comics. Seriously IDW, you're in quite a plum position there.

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've read all of the transformers comics ever made up to all hail megatron. the thing that the g1 marvel line had going for it was continuity, like just about everyone here has mentioned. my favorite has been dreamwave's output because even though they started with two g1 6-parters before they started an ongoing, at least they all meshed together.

I definitely started to get burned when I had invested all of this money in their war within and ongoing titles, only to have them shut down, leaving me hanging and with money down the drain.

idw was going strong, and even with their 6-parters being intertwined with the spotlights, as long as you had all of the books you could follow the story. but the soft reboots along with a jarring change of alt mode/overall design with the characters just totally turned me off.

19. potatojoe

potatojoe Active Member

Ebay:
    The only reason I dont regularly read them is because my comic budget is high enough as is. I will pick the occasional trade though.

20. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I read every tf comic up until idw. Why did I stop? There are a few reasons 1. i really enjoyed DW take on Transformers and I hate how multiple stories went unfinished so I didn't want to re invest in a new reboot.
    I did end up buying the 1st few IDW comics and I didn't enjoy the art. And I don't enjoy human centric transformer stories. So not seeing anyone but Ratchet in robot mode through 2 issues I had enough. I decided to save my money. I later thought about picking up the trades but it's near impossible to tell what comes when so I haven't bothered.