You know what is funny?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Feb 7, 2012.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

You know what is funny? Just because distribution is bad in major countries, especially America. It gives private sellers from other countries where distribution is okay an excuse to increase the price of the toys even if they do not plan on shipping overseas where distribution is bad.

This eventually creates a "market price" for the toys in the future when the toy line is over, and you cannot find the toys in departmental stores anymore. These particular toys where distribution was bad in other countries will command a higher price in the secondary market than other toys of the same price point, distribution number and popularity from the same toy line even though distribution of these particular toys were not even bad in that country in the first place.

Oh well, I guess this is human nature; always finding ways to advantage themselves.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Let's not forget that in most cases, prices in other countries are far higher than ones in the US for the same item, so the increase you're talkng about isn't necessarily that much.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. Sometimes I'll get friends in America to mail me figures at cost price and even with the shipping added it works out around the same total as normal retail price here in the UK.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm actually glad no one country gets perfect distribution of everything.

We'd have to all gang up on them :lol 

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Just another reason why I hardly ever shop for toys at retail anymore. It's so much easier to preorder a case or two from BBTS. Let scalpers and the hoi polloi wage their meaningless battle in the aisles.

6. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

That is still okay because the rest of the world has not gotten the Prime RID toy line yet. If we wish to get it early, we pay more, that is perfectly understandable.

What I am saying is stuff like Prime First Edition. Just because distribution is bad in America, it gives the rest of the world an excuse to drive the prices up on the secondary market. And what's more, some of these sellers do not even sell to America. They are only selling to buyers from their own country or nearby countries where distribution was not bad in the first place.

Therefore, when the toy line stops selling in their local departmental stores, these Prime First Edition figures will command a higher secondary market price than other mass released figures of the same price point, distribution number and popularity from the same toy line even though distribution of these particular toys were not even bad in that country in the first place.

Note that I am talking about how bad distribution in major countries affects the secondary market prices of other countries where the distribution is okay, assuming the seller only sells locally. Which I feel is just illogical. But again, if more money can be made, I guess people will do it.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I've had RTS Windchargers before anyone else and it never crossed my mind to scalp them. Same with Prime FE toys. Some American dude PM'd me the other day to ask how much I was willing to give for a Prime Soundwave. All he cared for was extracting as much money as he could for me. You know, instead of actually helping out? And then you have Americans begging us to sell them FE toys for retail or less because in the US they pay less. Thank God there are still a few good apples around... they're rare though.

8. Star Saber

News Credits:
    The thing is, if distribution is good, "scalpers" driving up prices would have no effect, since people can still get them at retail. To give an example, the RTS line where I'm from, actually sold for 50% off later on, didn't matter it was crazy hard to find in the US. There might be a spike at first, again due to the "must get it now" syndrome, but time will tell if the FE toys are actually short in supply. Besides we have no way of knowing that FE won't show up in some way in the US again.

9. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    wait…what?

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Yes I'm very confused by the OP's point. So you're saying its ok to scalp if you're from the US but not from anywhere else? At least that's what your posts seem to be implying.

11. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Amazing post. Way to reinforce stereotypes there dude.

Where's that canadatron troll when you need him?

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Actually the OP seems to be from Singapore if his blog is any indication, apparently he's just annoyed that since news broke the FE toys were essentially cancelled in the US, a lot of people in the world have rushed to scoop them up and sell at high prices. However, as I mentioned earlier, we still don't know the exact distribution figures of the toys, for all we know, the rest of the world is also on limited supply (It is First Edition after all, and Hasbro won't be selling them as long as they will toys without said label, or at least that's what they said), but if it's not, the availability will negate scalpers initial prices.

13. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Ha! I apologize then.

It's the same back in the old country. Evilbay and everything.

14. chonosmoon

chonosmoon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's not funny, it is a sad reality bro.

15. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    ''Major countries''. Why is America so important but Ireland and other countries are forgotten about. Just because you don't get the new figures as much anymore doesn't mean anything. Lots of times I had to get a figure on Ebay for an overcharged price because we never got it unlike you. Don't want to start an argument here it just upsets me that you get all the awesome stuff. The Prime stuff is meh anyway

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this^

17. chonosmoon

Ebay:
    I agree. That's why I don't think it's funny.

OP just be glad you have the internet to order from.

18. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Don't forget the current UK prices are

Cyberverse legion £4.99 = $7.90
    Cyberverse commander £8.99 = $14.20
    Deluxe £12.99 = $20.60
    Voyager £22.99 = $36.50

What you might think is a mark up might just be the seller recovering the RRP

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "I want toys and I want them now and I want them cheap gimmie gimmie gimmie"

Distribution is not an exact science. Sooner or later, most areas get lucky and most areas get screwed at one time or another. Part of the joy of collecting. If you don't like paying scalpers, don't buy off them.

20. chonosmoon

Ebay:
    I like this quote