You know what, I'm glad we got The Rebirth

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

You know I've always wished Hasbro did more with G1, and I always found The Rebirth lackluster. Don't get me wrong, it was a respectable ending all things considered. But still, I admit I was jealous way back when finding out that the Japanese got a whole season out of Headmasters and Targetmasters. But I just got done watching some clips on YouTube, and when it comes to realizing we got The Rebirth instead of Headmasters, I conclude:

Thank God.

I realize now it was just the idea of having more episodes I was envious of, not the actual concepts.

Don't me wrong (again), I do like the idea of the Headmasters being smaller robots controlling mech suits/transectors, and it would've been cool to get the Trainbots here.

But damn. I'm glad The Rebirth ended on a cliffhanger regarding the inevitable power struggle between Galvatron and Zarak... Rather than Galvatron dying from a *pathetically* GHEY attack and frozen. I'm glad Optimus didn't die *again*. As such I'm glad (as a Rodimus fan) Rodimus didn't abandon the Autobots. I'm glad Cybertron was restored, finally bringing the story of two brother races fighting over energy, full circle. I'm glad Cybertron wasn't blown the hell up.

And besides that it's just little shit. Sixshot being a ninja is stupid to me, sorry. Ultra Magnus' death, Wheelie being more annoying, Headmasters taking out Predaking on their own, Galvatron trying to make himself a fat Unicron body. Being Japanese in origin there are aspect of Headmasters that are alien to me and just doesn't seem like the same show to me despite having the same characters (see: Sixshot is a ninja).

All in all The Rebirth is very flawed; I don't think anyone would say "Season Four" doesn't have problems. But animation errors, steroid-mode toyvertising, and being three episodes aside... I still liked The Rebirth. The story could've been executed better with more time (I doubt there would've been so many errors) but again I feel it was more in the spirit of The Transformers than Headmasters was. If anything I guess I'm asking this-

Would you rather we got an English edition of Headmasters, or a better quality The Rebirth w/ possible continuation?

Binary bonding is eh to me, but in retrospect I'd take an extended Season Four of the American continuity over what Japan got. Hey Arcee, dear, fetch me my pipe and hold my calls.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Never cared anything for Arcee.

Bring on Headmasters. Or better yet, a Headmasters remake.

3. XanatosVanBadas

XanatosVanBadas Active Member

IMHO, the issue with Headmasters isn't in the ideas it presented, it was the execution. It seemed like the makers of that series were trying to consciously mimic the US series, but not being particularly good with US style story telling sensibilities.

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    The absolute biggest insult in the whole series is Sixshot. They build him up to be this cold, ruthless ULTIMATE BAD-ASS, he kills Ultra Magnus in cold blood, he slaughters Chrome Domes friend by implanting a freaking bomb on him and laughs about it, AND THEN he becomes Daniels little bitch. "Uncle Sixshot"? My jaw was on the floor....I was speechless, in a couple of episodes time he got reduced to being Daniels surrogate Father.

Give me 10 seconds(about all Sixshot was in the Rebirth) shooting "Cyberducks in a barrel" than any of the "Sixshot & Danny Show" in Headmasters, what a joke.

5. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

It was Japan's first TF series after all, and they did it pretty much in traditional Japanese cartoon styling. They did have a good bit of experience doing animated giant robot cartoons, after all, since they made the genre.

iron maniac: Do you have to harp on the Sixshot thing in EVERY SINGLE Headmasters thread ever? It's getting old. Okay, so you're disappointed in the ending, we got it. Move on, it's not worth dredging up every single time you can. Not like I like it any better than you do, but it's 24 years in the past now, just ignore it, use the Sixshot you like from other sources, and enjoy the bits of Headmasters you like.

OP: God had nothing to do with Rebirth. I mean that in all permutations of that phrase also.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

Give me Rebirth, no question about it.

Galvatron's death in Headmasters was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in a Transformers series. Headmasters is not on my cannon list.

7. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Let's just call it my little pet-peeve in the Transformers universe. Everyone has one.
    They took what was becoming a pretty cool character(one of my personal favs as a kid) and turned him into a complete joke. So yeah, I'm a little pissed about it and whenever someone brings up Headmasters...IT BURNS!! BURNS!!!! Fair enough? :p 

It's been my avatar for over 4 years anyway!! That fact alone makes it my mission in life to totally DOG "Uncle Sixshot" at every possible opening!! [​IMG]

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've always really liked The Rebirth. From what I've seen of the Japanese shows around that time, I would say we got lucky.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can have my cake and eat it too.

I like "Rebirth" and I like Headmasters. Both have things I like and dislike about them, but I'm glad I don't have to choose between them. I enjoy both a great deal. I look forward to the DVD sets of the Japanese-only shows from Shout! as well :) 

As for Sixshot, he can be and do pretty much anything he wants. Why? Cuz he's Sixshot.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind the Rebirth if it wasn't for a few things,

The nucleons are Headmasters instead of what Takara did with the heads being the robots linking up to a bigger body.

Arcee being a headmaster....espicially Daniel. Although being a secretary isn't much better. Since when was Princess Leia ever a bureaucrat?

The Lack of Screen Time for the new guys.

Other than that Headmasters can go piss off.

11. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Do I have to explain why this is impossible?Again?

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's not impossible for me to like both series, and it's possible for me to be able to choose both. There's no explanation needed there - unless you're thinking of something else.

13. XanatosVanBadas

XanatosVanBadas Active Member

True, I wasn't trying to say they weren't experienced in animation or anything. My point was, it seemed like they were trying to make the show like the US cartoon in all its sensibilities and style. It is no suprise that Masterforce and Victory are higher regarded as they were then doing their own thing and playing off their own storytelling strengths.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    But will their be any problems with The Rebirth, Skipping Headmasters and going to Masterforce?

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I would've liked Rebirth continued. That almost fresh start and how it left off could bring many good things. That said, those little green Nebulan people would've probably got on my nips after a while. Many people hate a lot of humans in their TF, well imagine a lots of green 'humans' bossing TF around. I think I'd accept the partners better if they somehow all got fused to their armours and were only shown as little robot men from then on. Kinda mixing Rebirth and Japanese Headmasters slightly, but keeping the partner aspect rather than just little robots and lifeless Transtector bodies.

16. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

No, that's it's impossible to "have your cake and eat your cake at the same time". If you eat your cake, you no longer have cake.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    What you got against gay people?

18. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

I got tf hero video with rebirth mini series
    mideswipe is cool bat
    spike said 6 autobots and 6 rebels
    optiums prime is supize see headmasters and targetmasters
    i hear 1 time optimus prime said autobot targetmasters

19. Cobalt Agent