You know what I miss about G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by butheadimus prime, Jun 6, 2007.

1. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    I miss the fact that in the whole 3or 4 years the cartoon ran optimus prime was optimus prime. He didn't need 2 or 3 power ups that required a new paint job, he didn't even get a new toy version of him for what 3 years (powermaster). I mean there was the variants but those things happen and the pepsi promo one but they were the same mold. What is so wrong with making a kick ass mold and keeping the cartoon character looking the same. We had 1 rodimus, 1 UM. I think this is why the originals are so collectible to me. I know if I miss a kick ass mold in the new stuff it will probebly come out in better colors later on. The new stuff with the exception of classics, select titaniums, and a few of the post G1 series are all just generic. Comments?

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yah, I miss the good old days. They never make toys like they used to this is the reason why G1 toys will still be hot until year 3000 or so. I'm keeping my G1 collection : ) I dont know what's up with variants...its very frustrating and most of the tf toys you want are either short packed or exclusives. For the love of God.

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Technically, for Prime, that was just for two years. Third season he was dead. When he was brought back, we got PowerMaster Prime - with armor.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Optimus actually had two "power-ups" in G1, although they were all new molds each time. Bumblebee actually tops the list with FOUR unique molds, making him the most re-used and upgraded character in G1, and the one with the most toys. there's a tie for second place between Jazz, Grimlock, Megatron, Optimus and Starscream, who all had three molds each.

So G1 had power-ups too. they were a bit better executed with them being new molds each time instead of repaints, but they still had them.

Nothing in transformers is "generic", I dont know what you mean by that. liking some series less than others doesnt make the ones you don't like "generic".

Thank god for that. I like knowing that I can let my niece and nephew play with my TFs if they want to, and they'll still be in the same condition afterwards that they were before. They'll all still be in one piece 20 years from now without missing hands and stuff too.

5. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    Well by generic I mean there are some molds that comeout like sideswipe/treadshot that are bricks. Armada scavanger is another. It is sad when a 20 year old transformer has more articulation. These power ups you described for optimus I don't see. In G1 there was optimus and the powermaster version which one is the 3rd I might have forgot. Bumble bee I remember the original, throttle bot goldbug, and the pretender. Oh wait I forgot about action masters. Ok then heres the difference, the toy line I feel followed the comics more than the show which is evidenced by no Arcee who wasn't in the comics and none of the females. At least there is a evolving toyline and story behind it. Again it was over a 5 year period that optimus changed. Same with the others. Look at cybertron for example. We get leader optimus then he powers up 90days later and has a tan so a recolor exact same mold and a rerelease armada crapimus prime comes out too. WTF? Don't even get me started on the fact that they don't explore other characters. These guys have no story behind them. It's like they are treating kids like they are dumb. BW was awsome because of the details and you felt like there was a history behind the characters because you knew them for 3 years. When Primal got new molds it's because there was a reason for it on the show. Don't get me wrong modern tf's got us Unicron and Primus as well as many great molds. The consistancy is what kills me. I want to see this new cartoon and see if they can evolve the toyline around the story and not the other way around. I also woulkd like a new unicron with Primus level engineering. More comments?

6. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    One thing I dont like about the more recent series is the use of particular molds for both an autobot and a decepticon. Just seems odd to me.

Also I do prefer Prime as himself, sans power upgrades. Prime should be powerful enough by himself to take on Megatron or a legion of Decepticons without needing a whole slew of extra enhancements.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah g1 prime rocks, doesnt need power ups, dont need to combine with his trailer and shit, give him a gun and hes good to go.

8. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

that's why you see g1 prime everywhere. cause he rocks! i don't see armada prime or galaxy prime all over the place do i?

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You might've if THAT was the first incarnation of TFs. ;) 

Actually right now I'm seeing MOVIE Prime all over the place.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

All this thread underlines is that people see what they choose to see.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pfft. In 20 years, Optimash Prime will have gone down in history as THE definitive Prime. You'll see.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just wait til you see Ultra Mashnus....

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    G1 Prime was an awesome robot. So was Optimus Primal (two different guys, cool), however, every Prime past him with the exception of Classics Prime and Movie Prime have totaly been cheesy-lame to me for those excact reasons. Transforming shouldn't take five minutes, and you'd think after that Prime could take a hit or two and still rumble. G1 Prime always fought, even if it was '80's fighting, and only went down when he was trashed.

Prime needs to toughen up after so many years of glorified uselessness, and Movie Prime (followed by Classics) is just the Prime to do so.

Godsenddeath, your sig = funny-ass shit! :lol 

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

It's all part of TFs being a a toyline and not based on any preceeding material. Do I prefer G1 with less gimicks? Yes. But if a new mould keeps my favorite characters from dying in the tv show/movie then I'll support it. And sometimes a character ends up with a better mould/posability/coloring than they originally had.

15. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

And just how long till Prime/Megs of the new Heroes series,get a new paint job and start bonding with others.

Some repaints are nice but it's past overkill nowdays.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, G1 Optimus was really great and that's why he's still my no.1 TF toy after all these years....its something about the mold....its so blocky and yet looks so "mechanically" good at the same time.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Yeah, G1 wasn't just a bunch of repaints. You never saw Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ramjet, Dirge or Thrust get a repaint. OH WAIT.

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're both wrong. Nemashis Prime will be the one everyone wants in the future.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll take my 20th Ann. Optimus Prime over a G1 Prime any day of the week . . .

I love my G1 bricks as much as the next person, the addition of ball joints in G2 (not BW as some claim), more complex transformations (transform G1 Prime and then transform 20th Prime, 'nuff said) and better sculpts (look at CR/RiD Convoy and Magus, or just the undercarriage of some of the Alts/BTs) have me liking a LOT of the newer toys better, from a toy angle alone. Like Valk said, it's also nice to accidently pop something off and, oh hey, you can pop it back on. G1 Prowl was one of my favorite toys, even after 3 super glue attempts later for his roof . . . :banghead: 

All of that comes from a toy aspect alone, though. I've always been more into the toys while really liking the media that supports the line. Comparing the mythos of G1 to others is another can of worms . . . .

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

BUt not every single figure from that line was repainted unlike say BW thru present.