You just can't "Start working for Hasbro"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kaymac, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

My Grampa really likes all my Transformers ideas and thinks I'm some sort of prodigy that should get into working for Hasbro. While that seems like a good idea, I tried to explain you just can't do that. You need experience in art and engineering to get into the toy design field, and heck even deco design you need art experience. He said I should send them my drawings, pictures, and ideas and such, and I explained it's just not feasible, yet he still says I should look for channels to show my ideas. Hasbro gets so many ideas and requests and such from fans, and most of the ideas make no sense and they choose to ignore them or send copypasta responses. I tried explaining this to Grampa and he says "I give up to easily". Is this true? Am I giving up to easily? Am I telling the truth? The toy design field is something I am interested in, but honestly, you can't just send in a mediocre drawing to Hasbro and expect to be taken in.

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Go to Botcon, meet the Hasbro crew and make yourself known, take a damn good portfolio and earn experience that compliments your desired profession. If nothing comes from it,at least you tried.

3. Kaymac

I might not have any training in art, but I have a few DAMN good pictures that I am proud of. I have a Prime styled Ramjet I am proud of, an OC named Mauldozer that I drew a while back in school, and some ideas for a new PCC-like line. I can't really get to BotCOn though. :( 

If I could, I would definitely try showing off my talents. :) 

4. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have nothing to loose

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What's stopping you from applying anyway?

What's stopping you from applying elsewhere?

What's stopping you from making your own toys and original designs?

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    If you really want it, do it. The main reason many people fail at achieving goals that seem to be unachievable is that they believe themselves it is unachievable (not counting those that want it and try it but don't have the talent).

You can see this in general.

Keep up the work, expand your knowledge, seek for contacts. If you really want it and have the talent, there certainly is always a way. All you need is hard work and effort you have to put into this.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    How old are you? If you are college age or younger, OF COURSE you can go work for Hasbro. I mean, there's a chance. Yes, go talk to them, find out what they're looking for, what you need to have to work for them, then figure out how to get those things. Find out if they have an internship program. That's the best way to get your foot in the door at a company like that.

You are right in that you are not going to get a job offer by sending them some drawings. But find some people currently doing the specific job you want, find out the path they took to get there, step by step, and do THAT.

8. Kaymac

It's not that I really WANT to work for Hasbro. There are many paths I could take in my life. It's that my Grampa seems to think you can just send them pictures by email and immediately get a job. That is what I am talking about here. Maybe I will work for Hasbro someday, but on my list of career paths, it's pretty low.

9. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If it's not something you want to do, that's different. But if it's something you think you can't do, maybe it's worth listening to your grandpa.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Are you pursuing or do you have a degree in industrial design? That's kinda a prerequisite for working for Hasbro.

11. Kaymac

There are other careers I may pursue before Hasbro. I listened to him, but I think he is being optimistic. I know the brand inside out and how it functions, and I can probably help Hasbro in some way, but as it stands, I am a fan, with no degree in engineering or art, etc.

I do not have a degree in such things. I'm just out of high school (I'm 18 years old). Grampa thinks I have potential, and I think I do to, but I know how hard Hasbro can be on new designers and such. If more people paid attention to my digibashes and the like, I may feel more confident.

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If this is something you want to pursue (and it sounds like it really isn't), you could pursue education in those fields first. You could submit a portfolio, experience or not, just for the hell of it (there's no downside, right?). You could try to get experience for a smaller outfit first.

I think you would probably get a lot more joy out of building your own stuff, though. Have you looked into getting a makerbot or doing your own casting or something? You'd have complete creative freedom, could stick to your own timetable, and there'd be no restrictions in terms of education or experience. Most importantly, you could build for yourself, not for your employer or other fans, and get satisfaction that way.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If you are waiting for stuff like that to happen, forget the whole thing.

14. siamese goat

siamese goat Hellstomper

Correct most have to go the "right" way with school to get what they want but it is not a one way only. My wife went to college for web design and application and has a job doing just that. I goofed off in college never finished and did not even go for web yet my job is very similar to hers with a different company. I just showed interest and professionalism when asked about the position. Do what you want to do not what you think you can do.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Give it a go. If all else fails you could work for Mattel or Bandai.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You have less latitude to do that with larger corporations.

17. Kaymac

I know I can't just ask people to look at my digibashes without looking like a self-plugging douche, but I can always improve my stuff so people WILL pay attention.

Also, as for making stuff for myself, I'd LOVE to have a 3D printer for customizing. I've never gotten into customizing as toys are expensive already, that kind of thing. I express my idea and art for TFs online mostly through my digibashes, as I don't have a scanner. I draw constantly, and I feel confident in my head drawing skills.

I want to go to school for 3D animation and the like, and I am considering MANY career paths. I am unemployed, not at school either, I'm a dude who needs something to pursue. I am not sure if there is enough money in my college fund to go into the engineering or art fields I want, and I also want to become fluent in Japanese, as I have studied the language for a while now.

As it stands, I have a bright future ahead of me, and so many paths to take. I just have to do what is right for me.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, you don't have unlimited time to figure it out. You better pick a path quickly and go for it. But don't think vague hopes and dreams are a path. You need to figure out in concrete terms what steps to take and take them. School is the safest course because if there is expensive equipment required for what you want to do, they'll have it... which is better than you trying to buy it yourself with the vague idea that maybe you'll be able to do something with it at some point or whatever. And school also allows you to form contacts with others planning to enter the field you want. And contacts are in a lot of ways even more important in getting a job in your chosen field than some of the skills you'll be using on the job. That part really can't be overstated.

But head-drawing skills or digibashes on their own aren't going to get you anything. I mean, come on. Digibashes?

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Start by looking into actual industrial design.

As a Transformers designer for Hasbro, you should be able to design good alternate modes. If you can't do that, you're screwed.

You don't just do "car". You also don't simply rip off an existing model from an existing manufacturer who can sue you (licensed alternate modes are a different thing, although they also involve less originality).

Check out the works of Henry Dreyfuss.
    designchosis: Thank You Henry Dreyfuss

Think you can pull off something like that? Designing toys is more difficult than just "digibashing Optimus Prime". You need to be a craftsman with pen and paper. Geometric shapes. That sort of stuff.

20. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are drawing contests out there submit your paperwork in through them.

That way you know if your drawings are "Hasbro material" and work your magic that way.