You ever gotten (Stupid) Offers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Oct 5, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you ever had a guest or visitors who saw your collection and made an offer for something or a lot of things from your collection?
    or have you ever had someone just make a really stupid offer, like a senseless trade or naive suggestion?

i have had a couple offers recently.

the first i personally thought the person was feigning stupidity. 14 year kid (someone i didn't know other than he was with my sister and her friends) was bored and walked into my room and saw my stash.
    i stopped him from taking things off the walls and shelves, but he still offered crazy money for certain figures.
    He saw my G1 Megs, offered $5.

My TRU G1 Prime/UM figures are MIB, and he was wanting them for barely $15 each.

My Dark Skyfire is MISB, and he was hoping for me to sell it cheap because he really liked it.

i declined.

the other is yet another kid that i knew lacked a brain cell. Dad pays him to do odd jobs that we can't do from time to time. Dad mentioned that he should talk to me sometime.
    he liked what he saw, but didn't offer. He wanted me to go "give" him figures because they were hard for him to find and if i had them, i should get new ones anytime. (Classics Voyager Prime for 2006 retail? right...)

and he wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I finally asked him to leave when he asked, "Do you collect John Deere tractors?" in my room full of Robots and then offered 2 die cast tractors for my TFA UM.

how do you handle people who make offers like those?

2. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    In a recent auction on ebay, I had someone offer me $60 for g1 thunderwing and 5 complete headmasters.

God loves a tryer....

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Can't say that I have ever had anyone look at my stuff in person, so I have no idea how that would go. On the boards I just say "sorry, that's too low" or counter, but I really havent sold too many high-priced items so it hasnt been too bad. I would have probably given him the boot too if he didn't get the point.

Most of my friend's kids are just happy to get what I give them (which is quite a bit), though I don't think I would let a few of those rugrats around my stuff. Anyone else I know locally who would be interested in my stuff is a collector and we have a pretty damn tight community who treats each other fairly.

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    The few times other people have been over to see the collection. I had one small kid immediately want to play with the large cyber power robot more than any of the Transformers. Its a nearly fortress maximus level huge robot. Though I regularly ignore it because I've had it so long.

[​IMG]

Its generally a collectors code of conduct to not ask the value of someones collection. I think most people won't mind saying how many figures or how long they have been collecting. But financial investment can be sickening.

A good approach when visiting another collection is if you see something your interested in, is to ask if they are willing to get rid of it first. This shows your interest but does'nt make you look like a jerk by accidentally putting a lowball offer on the table, even if they don't want to sell at the moment if they have you as a phone or email contact then they might remember your offer at another point in the future when they need to make room.

Also Offering something to trade can be great in these situations because its comforting to talk about the toylines themselves in a friendly way, rather than just throwing money and running.
    ---------
    For your situation jorod74 Your a host and generally in this situation all you want is some toy talk, and feedback for your collection. if they make a lowball offer the most polite thing to do is to say your not intested in selling right now. Or say that you think its low but will take their email address down if you reconsider. Its good because it does'nt completely shoot them down. And they may come back witha more solid offer in the future.

apologies for essentially typeing the same tip twice. Though its from both perspectives of buyer and seller.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I repeatedly had people offer me £1 for a MIB Brave Maximus at Auto Assembly, it's a good job people are generally fun and jovial at AA or I would have thrown people down the stairs.

6. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    granted my collection is still pretty modest compared to most of you guys. But it does seem in poor taste to ask something like that. If you a collector and interested you can kinda estimate the value from eyeballing it yourself.
    As for little kids offering strange things, thankfully I don't know any little kids anymore except my nephew and we've just managed to train him that the room with the TFs is off limits to him when he visits.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I have no second thoughts at telling kids and other people that I know what my collection is worth, if they are polite, or to "fuck off" if they are obtrusive and set to "fiddle" with my tfs.

Me and brother where the only ones that had tfs in the neighborhood so I kinda felt sorry for the other kids and used to let them handle whichever one they want. Several times that ended with my tfs broken, and most of those times it was done on purpose (jealous f*cks). The only ones touching the tf toys in my collection are going to be my kids and my brother's kids.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I despise when someone is selling an item and says "offer your best price"

Yet unless you're psychic and know exactly what they actually want for it, you're somehow considered an idiot. How about this, if you wish to sell something put a price on it and stop worrying about under selling it. Don't put the burden on the buyer for your own sale, accept some responsibilty.

9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I actually completely agree with you on this, whenever I do a show everything on my stall is priced, including the Brave Maximus, but then I have a sign saying open to offers. So if you see an item at £40, wave £30 at the dealer, that's worth a punt.
    I've had people ask how much my collection is worth and I just say my contents insurance is the same as my buildings incurance.

10. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Way back when the original starconvoy from 1991 was beyond popular around the year 1995. this one guy kept begging me to trade it to him for a bunch of RECORDED tf bootleg episodes. I kept saying no,he kept asking. I never traded the toy to him.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

When I was trying to sell my minty boxed G1 Whirl and Roadbuster on here recently, I seem to recall someone offering me $130 for the pair. In fact, I got repeatedly lowballed on those two so eventually went to eBay with a heavy heart.

Ended up with just shy of £600 ($900) for both.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes I seem to remember you gave me a great deal on that Robot Masters Gigant Bomb / Smoke Sniper set that way.
    I am completely in agreement with the way you organise things - put up the price you want and accept offers, but you've got the price there to start with so people know what kind of offers you are looking for.

I hate to lowball people, so when someone says "make me an offer" I'm always stuck between what I value the item at and what I feel is a fair offer to them. As my personal valuation is sometimes different to what something is actually worth.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You know, I understand and have had stupid offers to me before, when I am a seller.

BUT

At the same time, as a buyer, I have seen outragous price set by the seller.

So...

Buyer offering stupid and lowball price

Seller offering outragously high price

There is no difference. One is trying to sell for personal gain. One is trying to buy for personal gain. Both are looking for great breaking deals on their part.

I don't condone the action. But if we talk about one, I prefer that we be balanced and talk about the other as well.

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I guess I just don't care enough to be offended or insulted by lowball offers. I just tell 'em I'm not interested and leave it at that.

Is this really such a big issue to all y'all? :peoples: 

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

My only issue is when international buyers lowball me on shipping.

16. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    It is rather annoying when you’re offloading deluxe figures for $5 plus shipping and you get several offers for them at $5 shipped. With current post office rates, they're basically asking that you give them the figure as the shipping is roughly $5 alone.

17. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If that kid said that you can get new ones anytime, then why can't he go out and buy them new himself instead of trying to buy yours? I would have ask him that.

18. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    On eBay, I just set BIN with Best Offer to auto-decline lowball offers. Still get a few emails, but don't bother responding. Examples from the last few months:

TFCC P/CP: £15, because he's a Deluxe, and that's how much he'd be at retail.
    MOC Squalktalk/Beastbox: £25, you've opened them, so they're worthless.
    MIB FP City Commander with Target Magnus: £30, I can't afford any more.

In real life, a friend's kid was hugely impressed by Fort Max, offered me £20 for him. She was a bit disgruntled that that wasn't going to happen, kid went on about him for weeks apparently!

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

From your first post talking about the "kid", I would assume he really didn't know much about these and didn't know what their true value is/was. Or, he knew and didn't care and was hoping to nab a grate deal. My guess is he didn't really know and was making his best guess. He probably saw it as just a toy and figured $5 bucks will do.

But this thread reminds me of our favorite catch-phrase.

"Sorry, but that won't do for this one!"

20. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Thank you.

I'm always afraid of either offending them by low-balling it too much, or costing myself more money than I would have to otherwise spend by high-balling it too much.