You ever been in a position where...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Severus, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

You ever been in a position where you're just going along, reasonably happy with how things are going, and then suddenly come to a realization due to a series of unrelated events, your income level is not sufficient to do all the things you want to do? Not on a simple "can I go out this weekend" but on a deeper level?

I'm not saving enough, and I don't have enough saved for a rainy day, even though I thought I did. Especially when I'm making money that a few years ago I thought that I'd be rolling in dough if I were making what I make now.

I hate that. I hate it lots. Disaster hasn't struck, but I'm going to have to make some changes. And while I've got longer-term plans, I'm going to need to adjust things in the short term. Get a few more certs, find a new job, maybe.

Bah.

2. agravlin

agravlin Bearer of Reason

Huh?

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ah. a moment of clarity.

have another drink buddy.

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's Life! /Sinatra

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I really realized that I have no job and is making next to no money when I heard the words "PS3" and "599 US dollars" in the same sentence. And then again just recently when I looked at RAM prices for a new computer. Ouch! I needs more cash.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Yeah. Thats why I now work two jobs. Got tired of not having anything.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, nowadays we are a society where we're told we want things that we don't need.

Back in the days of my parents, it was all about saving money for this and that. They can't get used to the thought of why my generation spends so extravagantly. They didn't need faster cars or mansions.

Now it's all about better cars, bigger houses, nicer TVs, etc. It's hard to save when you're exposed to such nice things that you want.

8. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Yes. I've had that exact same sort of moment several times over that last year or so.

What's funny is that I've gotten three raises over the last year...I actually make more money at my job than my manager...and yet, that feeling never quite goes away. I'm making it...and I have enough left over to buy some toys or whatnot..but anything really goes down, I'm Jolly Well Fornicated.

EDIT: I live fairly frugally, too. I just need a second job, so I can have less time and more money...

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sometimes I don't get what all you full time employment people do with all your cash. My income is below the national poverty line yet I still manage to rent a house and keep up to date with all bills and food etc.

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Welcome to my world, my friend. :(  As the old song goes, I pick up my paycheck and pass it on down the line. Never seem to have money for anything. I bought my first TF in 3 months yesterday, and it'll more than likely be the last for the conceivable future. It's just that after all my bills and getting groceries, I don't have anything left to save. Even then, I still have unpaid bills because I just don't have the money to send them.

Oh, and Llamatron, just because of full-time employment it doesn't equal automatically able to pay bills. It's just that even simple things in life anymore are getting so expensive that it's hard for your average full-time worker to keep up. And I'm not talking luxuries like cellphones and cable TV. Phone bills, GROCERIES (OMG, even going to Save-a-Lot costs out the yang), GAS (gotta get to and from work), and medicine (I have diabetes), it leaves little left for me to work with afterwards.

11. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's not like I'm making a fortune just now. If I get my hours bumped up the money should be sufficient for me to save for a whatever and buy all sorts of extravagant airsoft gear. I'd like to have enough to do that and afford my own place, although I'm not entirely sure I'd like living on my own.

12. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

Homerun!

exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this thread.
    Example:
    I worked the 800 tech line for hitachi and toshiba consumer electronics just out of high school. I got to play with brand new and prototype electronics all day so I could answer consumers tech questions. Of course I THOUGHT I just had to have the best toshiba everything.... When in reality my 1987 European built Pioneer tv/monitor was just fine.. I bought it used for $50 and guess what, I still have it to this day and it works great.
    Same thing with cars. I am a huge gear head and would run myself into the ground just to satisify my car obsession. See I realize it now and I can overcome it. But anyway, I used to get all the new car add rags like road and track, automobile, car and driver, etc, and for awhile I was buying a new car every year. Acura TSX, Mazda 6s, Honda CRV, etc...I finally realized that these mags were a form of advertisement and I was buying what they were selling lock stock and barrel. I dont get these mags anymore and cant look at them because it will entice me to want to buy a new car, which I dont NEED. Just as a point of reffrence, I live alone, and have 4 cars now and a motorcycle. Why? Cars are my crack I guess... I dont have any of the above cars anymore, just older hotrods now.
    Anyway, I was thinking about selling my airbagged (lowered) 84 isuzu pup (which is my beater) today and I found myself on ebay looking and researching a possible replacement...LOL
    Anyway to make this thread even longer, I am actually able to live below my means and sock away money into my home equity (knock on wood!) but ti takes a lot of dicipline and I know I could do way better if I really tried. I figure if I can pay off my house sooner I will be debt free and by then financially diciplined enough to contine to save money for retirement.... or other investments. - thats some old school thinking....

resist the temptation!

13. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I agree with Sundown and Razorwire. We've been brought up in a time of keeping up with the Jones' more than ever before. Just turn on the TV, it's constantly flaunted in our faces that if you don't have this car, and that house, and those shoes, and these clothes, you're nothing. F that. I'll be 30 this year. I came to a realization about 5 years ago. I was working 3 jobs, my wife was working full time, too. I realized, yeah, I've got nice stuff, a nice house, it's full of nice things, but so f'ing what. When did I get to enjoy it? When did I see my wife and son? Money's good, but it's not the end all save all. Teach yourself to spend within a comfortable means, and you'll be a lot happier. All I want to do is be able to pay my bills, have a couple of bucks in the bank, and sit down and eat dinner with my wife and kids every night. And, by damn, it gets harder everytime my taxes and gas goes up.