you didnt like pearl harbor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Feb 25, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

The director of pearl harbor is directing transformers...DUH!

If you did not like pearl harbor...why? Because there was a love story? Hello? When you are risking your life for the benefit of humanity...yes you will fall for the nurse. Yes you will fight your comrade for a girl. In war, life keeps going, as well as hormones.

I have not seen bad boys, but pearl harbor was awesome....I was awestruck!

Despite the fact that the transformers MIGHT lack personalities...this movie will rock our socks off.....but not like return of the king(fanboy!)

P.s. I miss teh fuzzie...

2. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I did not see the "Pearl Harbor" movie, but when I heard the reviews I was not interested in it since many said it was no where near historically accurate. That may not phase many people but I'm a bigtime World War 2 buff so it lost its appeal quickly.

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I said it once and I will say it again:
    IMHO - Bay's best movie was "The Rock" -other then that all his movies were a big "Meh"...

4. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Bay did the Rock?
    That's it, I'm offically sold on the idea that this man can do an action flick.
    Now to get Nick Cage to be Ironhide and Connery to be Prime.......

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

The 30-minute sequence or so of the actual bombing of Pearl Harbor is pretty good stuff...everything else is pretty bad, even the compressed, tacked-on Doolittle Raid.

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Films are never "black and white" for me. For every defficiency I perceive in a movie (in the case of PEARL HARBOR it was a rotten script), I can enjoy it's strengths. Again, in the case of PEARL HARBOR, it was exhilerating, intense action sequences that I enjoyed - Even the Battle of Britain sequence, short as it was, packed both a visceral & emotional punch.

These sort of scenes take as much talent and creativity to produce as any other aspect of film making so to dismiss Bay as 'just' an action director is rather missing the point. Yes he is a niché director, but within that niché he's the best in my opinion. As such I've enjoyed all his films.

7. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Well-Known Member

Nobody is denying that Bay has creativity but his especiality is action films not Science fiction epics as Transformers should be... :( 

8. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

This is transformers. Robots that turn into vehicles with the primary goal being to advertise a toyline. It is not sci-fi epic material and is just laughable when it tries to be.

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Oh ?!? What makes you say that ?

10. Magelite

Oh let me see, there was the original movie, then beast machines, and anything involving primus.

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I have to admit, Transformers' could be an excellent space opera, but NOT an epic sci-fi movie. The source material is just, well, too whacked, and if you try to update it (like Dreamwave did), you either get a more serious space opera with religious undertones thrown it or a basic warstory but with robotic aliens (Infiltration/Escalation).

That said: Pearl Harbor sucked along with Bad Boys 2, period. BUT, both had EXCELLENT action moments, and EVERY director has a movie or two he would rather forget.

12. rollout!

rollout! Prime's Little Helper...

AMEN!

13. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Well-Known Member

Isn't it obvious we love G1 and he loathes it...
    Yet of all the incarnations I have seen the only ones that ever caught my attention was the original G1 series and Beastwars as they both had the best storylines around...

And the point is while he might be a fan of the toys a lot of us are fans of the stories themselves... Something that he does not seem to understand nor comprehend...

14. Magelite

Hmm...an ad hoc attack to try and demean my opinion, rather than arguing my point...nice debating skills there. (sarcasm)

I don't hate G1, but don't love it either. Transformers is best when it concentrates on the characters and their personalities and interactions with each other (read: Beast Wars) rather than half-baked attempts at 'epic' storylines (read: G1 movie.)

15. rollout!

YAY, GOOD MAN!

Although I did engoy the G1 film...

16. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

As it turns out, I actually like most of Bay's movies...Pearl Harbor included. I think its the energy captured by the cinematics that does it for me.

17. Magelite

And so did I, but not for the plot.

18. rollout!

Which is what a good film is all about, IMHO.

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

pearl harbor was a decent movie. The only parts that bugged me was when they showed the modern US Navy in parts as the Japanese fleet at sea. Other then that I liked it.

And Transformers not good sci-fi? It isn't as half backed at star wars and "the force" LOL I mean come on! Jedi? It really is SILLY! I mean every little kids DREAMS about being able to do jedi stuff before they ever knew about star wars. Transformers is at least more plausable and possible then "the force" is.

20. rollout!

Errrrrrr......come again? Whats possible or plausible about the transformers? You don't really think that there is machine life out there do you?

It's a tv show made specifically to sell toys, not (gasp) real life.