You Can't Take the Sky From Me...Firefly/Serenity

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by CyclonuS_ZerO, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    So I just finished watching all of Firefly and Serenity and I have to say it was pretty awesome. Though my opinion may be a bit biased cause I love pretty much everything that Whedon has done, but this indeed was a great series/film and it's kinda sad that it didn't get the attention that it deserved. What're some of the TFW communties thoughts on the show? Do you think this could be revisited again (I know of the comic, but I wanna see another film/series continuation)? Let's hear it!

2. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Before Firefly, I had no idea who Joss Whedon was. I too did a similar watchthrough recently and was blown away. Firefly was really good but I personally found Serenity amazing. Let me dig up my reaction...
    Edit: "I finished my Firefly kick by watching Serenity for the first time today. It is rare that ANY movie gets a strong emotional reaction from me, I can't even name another movie that makes me cry (off the top of my head, there are a couple I'm sure). I'm not even sure why I cried at those last 15 mins. It was probably from being overwhelmed by pure badassery. But damn, it got kind of depressing. They didn't have to
    kill Wash
    . He was such a happy fellow. You don't
    harpoon
    the happy fellow."

I went into it all not really thinking I would like it, now I love it. Firefly and Serenity have both influenced my creativity. I don't never gush over things like this, but Firefly just makes me gush.

As for bringing it back, it could be done, but I'd rather not see it. I love the characters and feel like they were amazing in Serenity. However, I'd like the series to rest in piece rather than see it fall flat on it's face trying to top Serenity. If by some BIG DAMN MIRICALE the original people involved with the show come back then it'd be awesome, but they've moved on.

It was a good little series. It was.

3. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

I think it should be left as it is and that, after Dollhouse, Joss Whedon shouldn't be allowed to create or write. I'm looking forward to the Avengers, but I'm dreading his hand in it.

Love Firefly/Serenity though. Discovered it on DVD on it's first release.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

That's funny, the Mrs. and I just wrapped up a Firefly/Serenity marathon of our own. She hadn't seen the show, but had seen the movie and, while she enjoyed the movie, she lacked the perspective of having seen the show first. So we went through everything on blu-ray and she loved it.

While I would love a return to the 'Verse, I think the legacy of the show is better off left as is - the little show that could, wasn't allowed to, yet did anyway.

Buffy was great, Angel was better and Firefly topped them both - and only needed 13 episodes to do it. I didn't care for Dollhouse, but something tells me that was more Jed Whedon's baby than it was Joss'.

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I love the show!!

and as much as it probably pains me to say this [cuz I know i'd eat up anything new they would theoretically put out!] i'd have to agree and say to leave it where it is. Its part of what gives it its charm i think

still, its a GREAT show

i <3 it big time

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think this thread is about 8 years late.

I kid, But I wonder if all these threads that occur random are from people who were kid/ very young adolescents at the time the show was airing therefore too young to appreciate at the time of its release. Now in your early-to-mid Twenties, when you're in that stage of learning to appreciate the larger and older popular culture, Firefly is being "discovered" again.

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    One of my favorite shows of all time as well as the only one I make a point of watching all the way through once a year.

The only way I see Firefly coming back to TV or films is if it is a different cast and story just set in the same universe. I just don't want to face a show without Walsh and the guys are getting too old to do a prequel.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You could always do a forum search to see the many, many, love filled threads on Firefly. Or the many threads about Nathan Fillion and his interview in which he wants to buy the rights and make the show again.

It was a great show.

9. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Firefly was awesome. As was Serenity... which I ended up seeing first.

Also, for some recent Firefly references, watch Castle. Two big ones come to mind: first was the Halloween episode where Castle (Nathan Fillion) dresses as a space cowboy... which was his Captain Mal outfit. In a different episode, he starts talking fluent Chinese, and when asked where he learned to speak Chinese, his response "My favorite TV show."

10. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

Firefly was amazing. Damn it has nearly been nearly 9 years since it was on tv originally? Wow!

I love that the cast still have mad love for the show and are decent to the FF fans even though many have done other things since then. Nathan Fillion especially.

I loved Serenity too.

11. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Yeah, they're both pretty great.

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Delete, double post.

13. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

There have been quite a few references, the most recent one I recall was his mom was mentioning some getaway place called "The Oasis of the Serenity" and he questioned her about it and she was like, "You haven't heard of the Serenity?" And he gives a quick knowing look at the camera.

Holy hell, we agree on something...2 things actually.

14. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've heard that this show was supposed to be pretty good. I went through it a couple months ago, and was disappointed there wasn't more to it. I hate when they cancel good shows so quickly. I saw Serenity before watching the series, and liked it, so I should probably see it again.

15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Firefly/Serenity.

I watched Serenity first and fell in love with it. It was, at the time, my favorite movie ever. I watched it over and over and couldn't get it out of my head.

I finally went to the video store and rented Firefly on DVD.

I was floored. The show was actually better than the movie in many ways. Though, I did like that the movie brought closure for River. I wasn't very happy with the character deaths in the film once I watched the series.

The one thing that was apparent in both the show and the film was that the cast had a rip roaring good time making the show, and that was before I saw the gag reel. Once I did, I knew it had to be a hell of a lot of fun to be on that set.

I'm very angry with Fox for killing it, but I'm angry with Fox in general. They kill plenty of good shows and Firefly was just a number to them.

I'm sad there were no sequels to the film, but from what I read, it took a huge hit at the box office and lost something like 25 mil.

I'm sad it's over, but I'm glad it existed and that's enough to keep me happy.

It's cool to hear Adam Baldwin and Gina Torres together on Prime, though.

16. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All this talk of late makes me think it is time to pop the dvds in and have a marathon.

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Brown Coats are everywhere. I was just complimented on a bicycle forum for my user title of "powerful-ugly creature" that I took from the episode Our Mrs. Reynolds.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    For a show with only 1 season and movie, it has a huge fan following.

19. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Play Halo ODST if you want over half of the cast in one setting and the banter that went with it.(Mal,Wash,Jayne)

Zoe should have been in it instead of that Cylon.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Aaaaahhhhhhh, Browncoat love. I've turned one or three people locally into rabid followers. I think I may need to arrange another mini marathon.