You can take your Flash Waahhbulance and "shovel it"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Darkwing48, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Google Engineers Recreate Quake II In HTML5 -- InformationWeek

QuakeII on Web Browser

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

goddamn, that's some serious web design!

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    All that hubub over playing a 13 year old game in a web browser. Congratulations HTML5, you have shown that you are as powerful as a 3 year old cellphone.

On a serious note, it's going to take a long, long time for HTML5 to gain any foothold in anything but Mac computers. With IE6 still being the most widely used browser there's going to be little cause for major sites to incorporate the technology in full force.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Awesome. I keep going into my local Apple shop, but the straw men are always out of stock.

5. Darkwing48

They did it because it took least effort to port it on HTML5.

From http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2010/04/look-ma-no-plugin.html
    There are more examples of HTML5 uses out there.

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's all fine and dandy, but it's going to be some time before there is widespread adoption of the HTML5 technology. Nearly 40% of net users are using browsers that don't support HTML5. That is not an insignificant number.

7. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    If any system administrator is worth their diploma/knowledge, they would be telling their organizations to upgrade to the latest version of their web browser.

8. Darkwing48

Well for sure, I wasn't a big fan of Flash\Shockwave. I'll awalys have to update back in those days when I was "Flash" gaming. But I hope they go HTML5. But with HTML5 not widely adopted yet, I guess the same update treatment will happen. But if Apple is holding out until HTML5 minimum standards are satisfied, this will be great news for portable Apple users.

9. Darkwing48

The fight has gotten ugly
    Adobe makes 'love' not war in dispute with Apple - Yahoo! News

What I don't like... is the fact I visited Hulu after months of not going there and guess what I have to do to see it's content... Another update.

You not backwards compatible hypocrites. Is Adobe PDF open source?

10. RabidYak

LOLZ, so you necromanced this thread just to bash Adobe because they answered back to the Holy Jobs?

And you don't seem to know the difference between foward compatability and back compatability?

PDF has been an open standard for about 2 years and Adobe licences it royalty free to anyone who wants it, thats hardley restricting freedom.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    So you went to a site after months and have a problem with a required update?
    :confused2 

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'd like my ipod touch a hell of a lot more if it could do flash. I didnt think it would be that annoying, but my god, it is. so much.

13. Darkwing48

Well I might as well call this thread a Flash vs. HTML5 (and Apple) Thread

I don't don't think I do. As a programmer making applications using .NET Frameworks 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, I trying to find out why LINQ don't work with 2.0 Framework. :dunce 

Really? I mush have missed the memo that when out on 7/2008. But flash is still proprietary, I have no problems with that.

Everything was fine back then. Why would I need to update?
    I was on sites that was had shockwave, Even the former compfused.com, a video site, before Youtube. Update, update, update. I've lost my flash update patience. But How many times I had to update HTML? (Wow that really feels like a stupid question). I don't mind upgrading the browser, but the plugins become an issue. Even Java are backwards compatible.

14. RabidYak

This whole thing isn't really about Flash vs HTML5, its about Adobe vs Apple. Both sides are trying to use their market assets as leverage to impose thier own prefered vision of the future internet onto everybody else. Microsoft would be in on all this as well if they actually had any worthwhile capital in web content delivery or mobile platforms.

Adobe want to keep Flash on top because it makes tons of revenue from the authoring tools, Apple want rid of it because they don't want a closed third party system on thier platforms.

The fact that HTML5 is an open system is just coincidental for Apple, they are pushing it because competing with a proprietary solution of thier own isn't viable at this point and because denying control to your competitor is the next best thing to having it yourself.

Meanwhile, the consumer looses because they can't use thier iDevices to look at half the media rich content on the internet and Jobs is just telling them to STFU.

Media content and delivery is still a rapidly evolving part of the internet and software landscapes, its hardley reasonable to expect content provides to not take advantage of new features and fixes for the sake a avoiding a quick and easy update every few months.

The fact that HTML hasen't kept moving with the times is half the reason why stuff like Flash is around in the first place. HTML5 might be dragging it up to date, but it'll be no good in the long run if its left to rot into obsolescence like 4 has been and keeping it current will involve updates just like everything else.

15. Darkwing48

I can't really generate a counter-argument for this because I don't have a smart phone due to my functionality need - cost ratio. I will agree on this.

Well, this is common practice. I see this as Windows exclusive vs. Mac exclusive but...

I don't hear any vulnerabilities from Flash but Adobe Reader yes. Unless Adode is simultaneously updating both the Reader and Flash at the same time I can see why Jobs would say this. Like Mozilla Firefox disabling Java plugins on Sun's latest update.

True but like some of the standardization practices when you got multiple entities trying to compromise on something, it is bound to take a long time. Compared to one controlling the the standard and solicits suggestions.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Screw flash... all it has ever done is crash computers from the beginning. No matter how big and bad your computer is (apple or pc), Phone, Console, flash will find a way to crash it.

http://www.scmagazineus.com/adobe-sorry-for-missing-flaw-that-crashes-flash/article/163474/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/projectfailures/largest-adobe-flash-crash-in-the-world/510

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/adobe_flash_demo_crashes_nexus_one_android_phone_repeatedly/

EDIT: I wonder how much flash has impacted peoples perceptions of PC's? I wouldn't be surprised if flash is one of the top 5 reasons why PC's crash

17. RabidYak

Yep, it just sucks even more in this case because the internet is nobodys property and that there is no barrier to Flash acess on iWhatevers beyond the corporate gamesmanship.

Its a double edged sword really. Standardisation takes longer when there is competition, but competition is what breeds innovation.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    flash has never crashed any of my PCs.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, I don't believe that for one second. thats like telling me you have never taken a breath of air or gone to the restroom.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Same here.