You are the new studio head in charge of TF4.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Negronicus, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are given free reign over director choice, casting, and film rating. How would you approach a reboot from the franchise?

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First & foremost, I'd insist on everyone stop calling it TF4 and would fire anyone & everyone who possibly ever breathed a word of "Trans4mers" as being a title suggestion. :) 

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd shrink the whole concept of the film. Rather than have a huge team fight a huge team or a worldwide invasion, I'd have the film focus on one Autobot taking on one Decepticon. I'd play up the whole "Robots in Disguise" angle.

I'd also bring back Maggy, just 'cos.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Hire James Roberts to write the script.

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd throw the whole "live action" bit right out the window.

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    If I'm given free reign over the project, then I dismiss the idea of a reboot first and foremost.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "okay, what does the marketing data say will make us the biggest boatload of money?"

8. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

If I was in charge I'd basically tweak the first film. It was great, it really was.

Just develop the characters more, keep Optimus and Autobots bad asses, but have the Cons an unstoppable threat. Even more so than in TF1. Still keep all the designs, and have hardly anybody die, because I'd like to have more than 3 movies in my series.

Just some basic opinions.

9. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    talk to joss whedon and michael bay about them collaborating to make The Avengers II: Assemble and Roll Out. Michael will cover the action scenes and Joss will cover the story. ILM will animate everything.

10. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i be charge of sundow - i make movie about master force and victory and zone

11. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Director: Joss Whedon
    Writers: Joss Whedon and James Roberts

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd skip town with all the money.

Or... get Michael Bay back on board, just for kicks. And title the movie 'TransFortunes: The Golden Lagoon of cash'.

Honestly? Maybe Whedon. With a bit of James Roberts thrown in (dunno which bit). As long as it has ILM doing the effercts I'm sure it'll earn pots regardless.

13. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Fire Michael Bay, replace him with Joss Whedon. Fire Ehren Kruger and get Orci and Kurtzman to write (or contribute to) the script. Drastically cut back the scale of the movies - back to the small Autobot/Decepticons teams from TF1. Have Epps and Lennox take the lead human roles and write the film from the perspective of soldiers at war instead of a boy becoming a young man.

All Bots and Cons that are already dead stay dead. Introduce Overlord as the main villain. No MacGuffins.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd tell Michael Bay to do exactly what he's done in the past. That being make a TON of cash. Bay has a proven track record with TFs being highly successful. Noone can deny that. Fans can bitch and moan but he brings home the profits. If you are a studio boss & ignore this and fire Bay and go with someone else, you suck as a studio head and should not have that position.

15. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Exactly. Of course I'd change things, but Bay wouldn't be something that I'd change.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Get rid of Bay at the director's chair and Ethen Kruger as writer and get Joss Wheadon as writer to team up with producer Steven Speilberg and director Peter Jackson.

Then Michael Bay is in charge of the action choreography, but this time you know what their doing this time.

17. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

First thing I'd do is something drastic- and something I sincerely doubt Hasbro would allow- and put the franchise on hold for a few years. This gives the franchise a chance to build anticipation while a great script, perfect director, and excellent casting are put together.

Okay, so now given that no one is under the gun to get a movie out by 2013, I'd step back and examine what worked in the first three- comedy mixed with great adventure, "a boy and his car" theme, highly-detailed CGI robots transforming from everyday items into gigantic robots, and sexy girls. Boiling it down... these four things are the formula that has made the films work. Take away any one of these elements- make it too serious, dumb down the effects work, remove 'eye candy' in the form of titilation- and you lose something in this franchise.

Given that Bay's visual style is so iconic it would take an equally visionary, yet fun, director to step in. I'm thinking Neill Blomankamp would be an inspired choice. He's proven adept at action, great use of CGI, and the ability to mix comedy with pathos and have it seem credible. Not sure if Neill would be interested or if he could sell his version to the studio, but I'd love to see it.

Actors... not sure on this point. I'd like to eliminate Shia, his parents, and Seymour and bring in a new cast. Unknowns worked well in the first 3 and could again, so no egregious celeb cameos to camp it up or make it seem like something it shouldn't be. Thinking maybe a story revolving around a central father figure whose child discovers the Transformers and the father must protect the child from the bad guy bots whilst also working alongside the good guys- sorta like G1, but minus the secondary role that the humans always played in that incarnation. Perhaps there could be a place for Shia as the central father who maybe gets eliminated early or somehow is not part of the narrative throughout. Be a nice way to link back to the original movies so as to avoid a RetCon or franchise reboot bad taste.

As to the bots in this incarnation; keep it simple with factions that are fairly contained like Transformers: Prime. Obviously Optimus has eliminated Megatron by the start of the new movie, but you can never keep a bad bot down, so Megs has 'become' some new bot in a new body, with a new voice, etc., but with the same motivations of world domination and the furthering of the Decepticon cause. A back-to-basics approach in other words.

Okay, that's enough for now. Sorry for the wall of text.