You”ve wanted Steeljaw for TF 3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tm11176, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tm11176

tm11176 Well-Known Member

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I was excited about Steeljaw the Wrecker dog-cannon, and was hoping he would make an appearance in DOTM. Sadly, this did not happen.

I hope he appears in TF4. That design is so awesome it just has to be used. And doesn't MBay love dogs?

3. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

That's some interesting concept art you got there, that much is true.

Eh, let him make threads. Some turn out well. Anyway, either Steeljaw version would be cool. I'm guessing they were cut for time/CGI purposes.

As for that thing, I have no idea. Maybe some form of Insecticon. Either way, it's disturbing and could be used in a dark-toned scene from TF4.

4. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Bay's got enough damned concept art for another three films, I just rather another director utilize them in the future.

5. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    This guy got the right idea.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Why wouldn't they use the model they made into his toy version in the film designed, in one way or another, to sell that toy?

I wouldn't have minded seeing him all that much. Given the multitude of human "dog" jokes, he probably would have fit in.

7. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

If Steeljaw was in the movies, I'd bet he'd be something like a crocodile or a construction vehicle.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    An Alligatobot? That's... imaginative. But still this design is oodles of awesome: Steeljaw (DOTM) - Transformers Wiki

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Of those versions, I'd rather have Leadfoot's pet as Steeljaw. It would've been a cool (if most likely under-utilized) visual concept just to add that little extra detail to the Wreckers.

I often imagine a short, funny shot of explosions, chaos, gunfire, with the camera focussing on Steeljaw biting on the ankles of a Decepticon protoform like an angry dog. That's the kind of humour I want in these movies. Not thongs, not balls. Plus, seeing a five foot tall robotic bulldog panting and drooling next to Shia would provide me with the lulz.

:lol 

That's usually how visually extensive films like this go. Hence why they make entire books out of a fraction of unused concept art, be it for movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Iron Man, Transformers, The Dark Knight, Avatar, whatever. That's the pre-production process; you get as many ideas out there as you can, exploring every possible character design, then whittling them down to the final version that the director wants.

Or, you know, probably exactly like that finalized concept art of a dog-like creature in the original post... :p 

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    The second link in the OP is concept art for Wheeljack/Que, not Steeljaw.

And that last think I've wondered about as well. I figured it was either concept art for the hatchlings or else maybe an aquatic Decepticon design for Wheeljack's/Que's original death scene underwater.

11. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Oh, wow! I totally forgot about that. That was a far more interesting death then what he got in the final product. IIRC Topspin was killed in place of Que where Que originally died, right? It was a better death considering Topspin was pretty much Jolt 2.0.

God, the novel was so much better then the final product. So much cool stuff didn't make it, including Que's death, Starscream and Dino and a far better final battle and ending.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I could be wrong, but I think that particular piece of art had the name "Steeljaw" on it, hence why tm11176 included it. I believe "Steeljaw" was one of the working names on concept art for QueJack.

It definitely would've been so cool to see that underwater death scene. :D  Had some amazing visual beats. Although, I can picture the complaints about the death. "Ugh, so dumb. He fell in the water and died!!1!", "Why didn't he just drive faster to take the jump?!?", "Why couldn't so-and-so die instead?".

Agreed, the novel was much better, but there's only so much of a novel that can be translated into a movie. It's just unfortunate that they seemed to leave some of the coolest moments in the novel and decided to put some BS in the movie. :redface2:  My friend describes it this way: "Turning a book into a movie is like taking the 30 most important pages out of the book." Two different mediums, each with different strengths and weaknesses.

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Hmm, I'll have to double-check about Topspin...it's been a long while since I last flipped-through the novel. Strongly disagreed about its ending, though. Starscream's toying with Dino's corpse WAS awesome, however. Definitely a shame that got cut.

And I also should have clarified that I understood that the Wheeljack/Que concept art was included here due to it being labeled as Steeljaw...I just thought it was common knowledge that deliberately mislabeling the concept art was simply an obvious way to help keep the Cybertronian cast under wraps until the filmmakers were ready to announce who'd actually be in the movie.

In other words, that design was never meant to be Steeljaw, they just didn't want it to leak that Wheeljack/Que would be in the movie yet.

14. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

steelejaw is lion
    steeljaw good for tf 4 the movie with blaster

15. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I'd have preferred the bulldog concept because...well, it fits the name better. Plus, it'd have been neat to see animal robots on the Autobots' side to contrast with the Decepticons.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Was there any reason given for Steeljaw not appearing in the movie? Was it just not feasible, with Wheelie and Brains? It seems strange, given he had merchandise planned, and Brains didn't (to my knowledge).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
  17. gokuz23

gokuz23 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The second pic is Que's concept design, he was codenamed steeljaw, and this thread is codenamed POINTLESS

18. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    ^ Beat you to it.

And I suspect Steeljaw was cut from the film after they decided to tone down the redneck-ness of the Wreckers. Which is too bad, I would've LOVED to have seen that...it would've been a hilarious answer to the uproar over Skids and Mudflap.

Plus, I just like the idea of Steeljaw apparently being "partnered" to Leadfoot as his alt. mode's engine. Pretty cool stuff and nice little nod to the PowerMasters.

19. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    What? Did this happen in the novel? Dang, I really need to get around to buying and reading that... How did the scene go?

Back on topic, I would have loved to see Steeljaw as the Wreckers pet in the third film! Hopefully they'll show up again in the fourth installment, with Steeljaw as part of the group! :D 

20. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    They won't. Hatchet was flung onto a car and decapitated, Crankcase was blasted in the face and Crowbar was blown up in a fuel store.