Customs: Yoketron - Ideas

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Malunis_T, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a while I've been wanting to make a custom of Yoketron, but am not yet ready for the actual work - I need materials, and a good work space. Until then, I wanna plan this as best as possible.

So, Yoketron. TFA's Cyberninja master. He's supposed to transform into a race car. Here's my idea so far (keep in mind all parts are TFA ones):

Torso will be made from Oil Slick. Specifically, backwards, so the back is now the front.

The head may be Oil Slick's, but with a shorter nose and all. Helmet will be made from Samurai Prowl's, possibly with added bits to it to make it show-accurate. It'll have to be removable since, initially, it barely fits in the chest alone.

Arms are a little iffy. My original idea was Blackarachnia's biceps with Prowl's forearms. Currently I'm thinking Oil Slick's biceps with Lockdown's forearms - both figures arms have a type of metal disc pin joint, so a simple switch is required. Any better ideas?

Legs are REALLY hard to decide on. Right now, the best choice seems to be Swindle's. Pretty close shape, helps explain the non-visible wheels (I'll paint the outside of them gold so they form the feet), however... They're short. I think if I did some extra molding around the kneecap, as well as somehow form a new joint, I can make them longer... But I'd still need to find a better thigh, then.

As for his kilt(?), backpack and other details, I'll work on those once I have the base limbs figured out. Any suggestions on parts would help. I'm forming this idea using the figures I actually own, so my knowledge is limited.

I should also make a point that I intend to make this figure transform, but if by the time I have the base figured out and it doesn't mix well, it'll just be a normal figure.

Attached Files:

2. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    I think for Yoketron, you'd be better off making him out of one of the twins (Jetfire or Jetstorm) and a Prowl.

The twins are very thin like him, and Prowl has similar forearms/hands, and definitely a similar head (samurai version).

Add to that, the cockpit on the twins can be salvaged into Yoketron's chest plate.

3. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    Maybe. I've been told the twins would be good, but I've got reservations on using their legs due to the combiner bits. Would need to somehow remove those. As well as add wheels... And create a new transformation that doesn't resemble the jets...

... this would require more modding than my original idea, I think. o_o

EDIT: Okay, wow. I took Jetfire, replaced the shorter leg with Jetstorm's longer leg, and replaced the arms with Prowl's... there is definitely a good idea here. The only issues now are the fact that he needs more bulk, wheels, and maybe a different transformation to make him less like the twins.

4. UTF

News Credits:
    Just a question. How did you arrive at the conclusion that he turns into a car? I cant see any sort of indication that he has any wheels on him in robot mode.

That being said, Prowl's wheels are probably a bit too large to be transferred. Activator Bumblebee or Ratchet should be fine though. If you wanted to make him more like G1 Dragstrip's car mode, you could use Bumblebee's wheels for the front, and double up Ratchet's wheels in the back.

5. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    Derrick Wyatt - via Twitter - told someone he was a race car. Twitter / Derrick J. Wyatt: @Jetcols Sort of a Cyberto ...

Upon fiddling with it, I think Yoketron could work with the jet twin mold. But specifically, using Swindle's legs. Take a look:

[​IMG]

Just need longer legs. I could add to the legs so the kneecap ends where the thigh is supposed to end, then find a way to connect it to a thigh. Then it's a matter of having some cover for the vehicle...

Now I just need wheels for the front. Thought maybe Classics Hound's front wheels could be used. And they could store on the back, even if that's not totally accurate. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

6. UTF

News Credits:
    I just don't think Swindle's legs are sleek enough to go with Yoketron's body. The twins' legs are almost perfect, mimicking the long, smooth bell-bottom-like pants. I also think Hound's wheels are a bit thin for a race car.

7. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    Hmm. I dunno, I just want to keep him from looking too much like the jet twins. Can't really find a different transformation that helps him look more original. :x

On a side note, I keep a list of facts I find through Derrick's or Jim Sorenson's Twitter feeds, as well as things mentioned at other parts of the Internet. There's one I found (can't remember where at this point) regarding the alt mode:

I emailed Mr. Wyatt asking him about Yoketron's alt-mode since I couldn't guess it myself. I was guessing a snowmobile. Mr. Wyatt said Yoketron's Cybertronian altmode is a small three-wheeled vehicle, but he very well might have chosen a snowmobile had he come to Earth.

So now I have to things in mind: three-wheeled vehicle, or an Earth mode... Tempting to do the latter. I may end up going that road and do a non-transforming "show accurate" figurine another time. Thoughts?

EDIT: Update! I've found a method.

[​IMG]

Finally the twins' super-skinny arms come in handy. Legs are hard to work with. I THINK Oil Slick's would make sense, but they're too "evil". And they don't fit in too well. Plus, I'm trying to go for something like this. So... something with treads. Maybe, depending on how they work exactly, I could use the Cybertronian Ratchet's legs.

Attached Files:

8. UTF

News Credits:
    I like what you have in mind for the front of the alt mode. The skinny arms could even double as the aerials on Yoketron's back in robot mode. Not sure how to go about making that single tread you have in mind. I still think Jetfire/Jetstorm's legs are the most befitting Yoketron.

9. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    I've taken apart the legs on the twins to see how treads could fit in, but they can't. The "push the thighs into the legs" transformation pretty much takes up the entire inside.

Since I'd updated, I've been doing some more thinking. The shoulder blades will just be Prowl's, but modded so they're slimmer like Yoketron's. It's perfect. So basically I have MOST of this figured out, just need legs..... Hard to find proper looking ones WITH treads.

I wonder if I could get Derrick to draw a futuristic snowmobile so I know what it should look like. Probably not, but it's worth a try.

On a side note, if anyone is willing to donate Jetfire/Jetstorm arms, let me know here!

10. DanHibiki

DanHibiki Dan Couga Mellencamp

I would suggest using Animated Blurr for the head and torso. Oil slick for forearms. Jazz legs. That would be a start...

11. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    Well, as you see, I've got more than a start for the Earth mode, but Cybertronian mode...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this really works! Thanks!

Now I should work on how to give the shoulder blades. They could probably plug into the robot mode back where the windshield bit goes, but I'd have to find a new place for the windshield then... Just toss it aside for robot mode I guess? Like a shield weapon.

Next thing is the legs. I'm still thinking Swindle. I'd still need to add molding so they'd be a little longer, but with all these parts in mind, here's a quick digibash.

[​IMG]

These are my plans. Yes....

Attached Files:

12. OriginalScream

OriginalScream Well-Known Member

Two words: frickkin' awesome!