Yo open or not to open, that is the question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Since November I have been hard at work to get all of the classics figures I wanted as well as any other fan made stuff.

I am finally done. Some stuff I bought lose, but I most of my stuff is sealed. At this point I am starting to put out all my stuff. All of the new figures, or figures I can still find in stores were opened. But now I am looking at my MOSC Classics line and I cannot help thinking, leave them be. Don't open them. Find lose ones.

With Ramjet selling at $100 and other classics figures going through the roof I am wondering if I am a sucker to open them and throw out that value. So I am debating on rehunting for lose Classics. Here is my list of pros and cons for opening the figures

Pros:
    - I am done with the collection
    - I will not have to hunt for lose figures
    - I can display my collection now
    - I don't have to deal with the hassle of selling the figures
    - - I have seen lose figures go for the same price if not higher then MOSC figures on EBay.

Cons:
    - It is literally throwing away money
    - Once I sell them I can make enough money to keep my collection going for a long while.

What do you guys think.

2. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

open unless i have doubles of it. i play with my toys. although, i only have one that i haven't opened. alternators swerve is still in his box only because i don't have space in my alt/BT aquarium.

3. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Open 'em! No use selling what you're going to have to re-buy later! Besides, some of the loose figs are going pretty high these days too!

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Almost all of the toys I've bought in package have been opened. I mean, they're toys - where's the fun in not opening them and transforming them back and forth a few times? Especially if, like me, you restrict yourself to only buying one of a given toy? I find it to be a lot of fun to look at the shelves, take one down and fiddle around with it. My daughter enjoys likes doing it too. I can't count how many times I've come home from work and found my RTS Legends in a different mode than they were in when I left the house.

Only two toys in my entire collection are still in package. My Takara Wal-Mart Masterpiece Starscream, and my TFC #9 Starscream - they represent the most money I've spent on Transformer toys. I'm sure one day, I will take them out of their boxes and have my fun - but for right now, I consider them to be the "jewels" of my (admittedly, small) collection and there's just something I enjoy about leaving them sealed in their boxes. It almost feels like I'd spoil their specialness to me if I broke the tape and took them out. But I know that eventually, the day will come when I say "Let's have some fun!" to my daughter, and break out the crown jewels. Because, in the end - they're toys, not investments (at least not to me), and they should be enjoyed :) 

5. sh002

sh002 Banned

get two if you can. one to open and one to display or at least transform.

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well I would need to get the seconds now to play with. Not sure I have the energy or budget to hunt classics again. I think it is harder to find lose Classics then MOSC.

7. sh002

sh002 Banned

if it is freakishly expensive i would leave it brand new unopened. i can never see myself opening $300 toys for example.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I don't remember who it was, but a member of this board spent quite a bit for an unopened Fortress Maximus - and as soon as he got it, he opened it up. Makes me feel like a bit of schmuck for not opening up my two $120 figures :) .

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's pretty much my "why I never sell anything" philosophy.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Do you really, REALLY plan on reselling them?

Look at it this way: Open them and enjoy the plastic goodness and in 3 years time even if you sell them loose they would have still appreciated in "value."

11. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I don't get it. If you want loose figures, buy loose figures. Why open them now? Keep them on display. Some of them look quite nice in the box. If anything, it will be cheaper to get the loose figures.

As for the reselling aspect, you never know what might happen. If for some reason you might need some quick cash, might be a good idea to just leave them sealed.

@Fatal T71 - That pains me to read about that Fort Max. I'm sure the guy probably paid a lot for that MISB Max. He could have found a loose one for so much cheaper.

EDIT: Sure, loose figures can sell for more, but normally, the MISB/MOSC stuff goes higher. I speak from extensive selling experience.

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    ^ This. The only two I have in package is my Classics Starscream with G1 colors, and Smokescreen. And this is only because I liked the look of the packages. I could care less about the 'resell' value. Unless I could sell one figure and make enough to buy a Fort Max, I don't see the point. But.....I do see the point of keeping figures in the packages, because the design for them is VERY cool. I keep the cards for that reason, but because the bubble takes up space, it's impossible for me to hold onto it all.

13. Tirade

That is the biggest drawback IMO. Those darn bubbles and cards can take up so much space. They can be hard to store as well.

14. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I only have TRU Soundwave and TRU Perceptor still in the box. Other than that EVERYTHING is open. From Classic Ramjet to RTS Wreck-Gar.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't really get why people buy Transformers and leave them in their packaging. Is it because of the value they have this way? Or because they make the room look like a toy store?

So I don't really understand what makes people want to have Transformers left in their packaging.

But without this understanding I would just say: Open them and you're done! I would find it very hard to have basically everything in your house but then have to hunt them down loose again and maybe not getting them in a short period of time. Everything you want is there right in front of you, why not just take it! :) 

16. Tirade

I can understand this for brand new figures (ie - walking into a store and buying them at retail). However, I have a hard time justifying that when I pay big bucks for a MISB/MOSC figure. If the figure can only be obtained through the secondary market, a loose collector might as well go after the loose figures.

17. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I say open. If I had the money I would buy every sealed toy I could and open it. Vintage stuff mostly.

18. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It was 3k for the grand max that he opened....also a misb metrotitan got opened up on here too. I say open them and enjoy them ...if you can. Ramjet will still be worth some cash if they dont reissue him, or dont make a KO out of him. But the classics, henkei, universe, and united lines are a license to print money nowadays. I say open them. You will be able to enjoy them and make some money when they dont satisfy you anymore.

19. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

When I first started collecting, I opened everything, then I regretted it, so I would wait awhile to open things and try and purchase the figures loose for cheap and still keep my originals sealed. Then I ran out of space, and I open near everything now, and try not to buy multiples unless I have a display purpose, unless of course they are seekers, or unless they are really cheap.

20. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Meh.. the market tends to fluctuate. Classics figures are fetching high prices because many people want them for their collections at this particular time. In years to come I doubt people will be paying $100+ for a carded Classics Ramjet. I've seen it happen many times over.. from Star Wars figures that had running changes to some of the Marvel Legends variants. Sure, they were expensive when everyone was going nuts looking for them but now, not so much. I say open your Classics & you'll be enjoying them in the best way possible.