Yet Another "Which is Better?" Movie Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OCProwl, Jun 24, 2011.

?

Which would you choose?

1. $25 HFTD Leader Optimus Prime

44 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. $18 DOTM Wal-Mart Voyager 2-Pack OP

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    This is "help me choose" in disguise. ;) 

Which would YOU choose at these prices? The only movie OP I have is '07 Robovision Voyager from Target. I'd like to have one of the highly regarded ROTF variations. But which one? I don't know if I want or need both, I'm not super crazy about movie figures and operate under a budget (or try to ha).

$25 HFTD Leader Class Optimus Prime
    (aka battle damage ROTF Leader repaint)

Pros:
    - Cheap leader price
    - Incredible detail
    - Scales well with Leader Ironhide, Human Alliance for display

Cons
    - Super crazy transformation (neat but I don't see doing this many times)
    - Faceplate (EDIT: i.e. half covered in black char damage)
    - Huge (concern if limited shelf space)

vs.

$18 Walmart DOTM Voyager Optimus (from 2-pack)
    (aka Moonprime aka HFTD Battle Blades repaint) + Comettor

Pros:
    - Cheap voyager price
    - Bonus figure
    - Nice size
    - Easier transformation / playability?

Cons:
    - Paint job maybe not ideal?

Thanks for your input!

2. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I'd recommend the original ROTF Leader Prime over the HFTD version.

3. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a tough one. Leader is awesome and I hear great things about BB Prime. If scale is big to you I would go with leader. Either way you go I doubt you'll be disappointed.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I know it's not listed in your options, but the original Leader Optimus Prime is superior to all. However, out of the ones listed get Voyager Prime 2-pack.

5. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    I hear ya. Unfortunately I missed that one and I'm not motivated enough to find one from a seller / have it shipped / what have you. :)  I'm more concerned with what's readily available at retail right now and whether/which one I should pick up or keep. :) 

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd go with the DOTM Voyager with Comettor, I'm not really a fan of the deco they put on the HFTD Leader. Moon and stars aside, the metallic paint on the Voyager is gorgeous.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is the RotF Leader out of stock everywhere? I waited until the HdtD Leader came out...then scored the original for $20 on TRU.com.

8. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    if you already own a leader prime then voyager but if you dont own a Ldr Prime than the ldr

9. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To choose one or the other for me would be difficult, but my first impression is to tell you to get the leader.....OR, get the Voyager AND the Walmart deluxe exclusive.

I am a Prime fan and I tend to buy all Primes, so that's why I got the Walmart exclusive, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this figure was for the price. The paint on it is much nicer than the typical movie figures also. I guess you could consider JUST getting this version as well to save you space AND money :) 

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HFTD. A Voyager version of the Leader without the silly paint.

11. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Neither of them have a faceplate. Both have heads that show the full mouth. I love the Leader class version, and would pick that if I had to choose only one, but that Voyager is also an amazing figure.

-Silvershot

12. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    Well my plan is to have 1 movie Prime from each film. (This Voyager one "counts" for ROTF in my opinion because it is the ROTF mold.) Honestly I'm not a fan of the DOTM Deluxe version, and I've reserved my DOTM Prime slot for Fireburst. :) 

I missed the regular HFTD Battle Blades version, and in any event I would go for the 2-pack version to get Comettor in the deal as well.

Another thing for me collection-wise: I don't have any Leaders. Haven't been a fan of this class size before, but got lured in by the $25 prices at Marshalls. I have this OP, Starscream, and Ironhide ($30) sitting in boxes and I'm just not sure I want to "get into" this class size. The detail looks great, but I'm much bigger on deluxe and voyager sized figures.

Thanks for the input and votes guys, much appreciated!

13. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    Oh sorry I meant the fact that half of the headsculpt on this Leader variant is black char. I don't really like this detail...

14. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say Leader. I was put off by the battle damage paint, but he looks pretty cool once you've got him posed with his hooks out. He definitely wants some faces.

I really like the Voyager version, even the moon and stars. I prefer the matrix to the Leader's lights and sounds. I'm lukewarm on Comettor

I think a really key bit of info is that what makes the Voyager version so cool is how impressive it is that a smaller figure successfully imitates the Leader. Leader is the basis for the Voyager's cool and is the superior figure overall. Voyager's biggest asset to me is that he's more manageable and in scale with more figures that I have.

I'm really glad to have both, but a year from now I think you're more likely to regret passing up a Leader Prime for $25. If you've got a Ross nearby, he's only $20!

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In regards to the Matrix, I don't know why they bothered. Getting to it is a bitch, and looks ugly. His chest literally exploded.

16. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HFTD Leader is the worst incarnation that FANTASTIC mold has had. You might just want to hold off and see if any of the DOTM retools Takara has floating around get a US release, or find the original ROTF leader on ebay (or somewhere), or if you can swing it get BUSTER PRIME (best the mold has ever been- I know it's well beyond the price range you're talking about).

That leader Prime is a must have. Just see if you can manage not to get that version.

17. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I only have the HFTD Leader, so I voted for it. You can always do like I plan on doing and find a junker ROTF Leader Prime at a flea market or garage sale and just swap heads.

The transformation doesn't bother me after I picked up on how things fit together, but I'm used to complicated transformations. I actually like transforming it.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

I'd go with the two pack. The Prime is great and Comettor was a nice surprise for me.

19. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For 20 dollars I would get the Leader. I personally would prefer the originals over the repaints.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd go with justamze's thinking here, as the discount stores has it for $20 + tax. That's a leader class figure at half the price.

I like both for their own reasons, and they each offer things the other doesn't have. Others have already commented on the great value that DotM two pack is. If you're really strapped, you could sell the deluxe pretty easily.