Minor/Repaint: Yet another RTS Jazz

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jerminator, Mar 5, 2011.

1. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This was my first attempt at custom painting after FINALLY finding Jazz at a Kmart of all places. I, like everyone else, was very underwhelmed at the lack of detailing on the most hep cats in the autobot ranks. So, I bought some Elmer's paint markers and whipped out my trusty silver sharpie. Mind you, I'm no pro by any means and honestly have some of the most unsteady hands imagineable lol. I see everyone else's work on here and I just wish I had 1/10 the talent that you guys do. I give you The Poor Man's United Jazz..I dub Uninvited Jazz. It needs to be cleaned up a little bit once the paint dries and i can scrape the edges off, but other than that, I'm done. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the silver sharpie from rubbing off?

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    good job.. I'd say you already have 7/10 from me :D 

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't sell yourself short, man. Things like this just build your skill set. :) 

I'd recommend coating the whole car in Future floor polish. I just coated mine Thursday, and it not only seals any paint you add, but it really makes that white plastic look more classy :) 

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

How much did the paint markers cost you?

I would personaly go with using acryl paints and a brush. Not color markers.

All things considering, you did exceptionaly well, it is very hard to keep the paint and lines as crisp you did using markers. Next time use the brush and paint. If you can do a very good job with markers, who knows how good you will do with paint and a brush.

5. AutobotBee

AutobotBee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I ended up going with the reprolabels kit for the one I eventually found, but it has nothing for the wheels, you did an outstanding job on yours, that looks infinitely better than the original release in my opinion. :) 

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

All i'm going to say is that anything is better than the original. There's no need to sell yourself short; if you've made it better, then you've achieved what you (and i believe most Radicons) set out to do.

7. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, the silver sharpie. I have yet to find anything that keeps this from rubbing off. It's kind of strange, but some plastics hold it fine, and others constantly rub off. Using a brush works fine, but on the wheels, its tough. I recommend using the silver elmers paint marker. Try to remove the sharpie first though, cause otherwise, it may bleed through.

8. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Update: Ok...so...thanks to all of you guys' suggestions, I've decided to dive headfirst into uncharted territory for me. Got myself a big bottle of Future, a big pack of assorted brushes, and a heaping dose of tenacity. I took the leg assemblies apart, painted that godawful gray plastic with some silver metallic paint, redid the back end and wheels, and brushed a good even coat of Future on the whole outside of the car, along with the white forearms. Waiting on stuff to dry now. How long does it usually take for the floor wax to completely dry and set? Pics forthcoming after it dries and I can put it back together.

9. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ok. I redid the rims, exhaust pipes, and grill with metallic silver paint instead of sharpie, repainted the rear end and windshield with acrylic paints (brushed on this time), added another coat of white paint to the forearms cos it seemed to be lacking, and mixed up a nice pale blue for a little added detail on jazz's groin. I also brushed the metallic silver paint on every visible bit of that godawful gray plastic. Ended up using two coats of Future on the whole body, just to be on the safe side. All in all, I'm proud of my first attempt at this...and now that I'm no longer a Radicon virgin, I'm ready to try another. :D 

Attached Files:

10. Mechamits

Mechamits Twin Turbo Power

Nice, I think I'll steal a few of those ideas, already repainted the rims--United-Style and metalisized the grey and did a "weathering" on all the white and black robot-mode sections and detailed other sections like the reverse of the doors and feet, don't quite have the guts to re-paint or re-decal it. Looking for more ideas, I love this mold :) 

11. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

This is nice. Its simple and effective. Not all custom jobs have to be sweeping gestalts that look like the cartoon or grandiose scratch fabrication. Thats why there is a minor mods / repaint section. Some of the coolest customs Ive personally done are simple repaints. Keep painting and eventually you find yourself looking at something and saying...."I wonder if I can get the hood to open in car mode..or that arm could move forward in bot mode if I just trimmed it there....and those hands..." Next thing you know.....Youre Jin Satome lol!

Im not pimpin out Jim by the way...there are an awful lot of guys here that are Gods as far as Im concerned.