Heavy/Scratch: (Yet Another) ROTF Leader Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bovril, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

ROTF Leader Megatron *Photo Update*

5/3/2011 - Yeah, I finished this guy last year, but since then I've made him an alternate right-arm for better movie accuracy and I think it looks more in scale too. Enough blabbering, here's another few pics taken with a better setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my first serious attempt at a custom (as opposed to just paint touch-ups, parts swapping etc). I played through several scenes in ROTF at 1/8 speed and took loads of screenshots for reference, so he's pretty accurate to the movie.

Megatron now has an elbow in his right arm, which also allows the forearm to flip upside-down, imitating his retractable blade. The gun itself was heavily remodelled with putty and various blades and other details from other toys. Not child-safe!

The left arm was completely rebuilt, again using parts from many other toys. I'm particularly proud of this bit, as I went to town on little hydraulic details and suchlike. I'll try and get some better photos later as you can't see them too well. The 'claw' is articulated in six places, so you can get a lot of movement outta them fingers.

The gun sound in the right arm was toned down, it now only triggers when the shoulder is moved as if he was pulling his gun from a holster. Hard to explain but basically its much less annoying and only triggers once instead of repeating.

The firing gun still works, as do all the sound FX and lights. Additionally, various parts (such as the right shoulder) were re-sculpted to be more accurate. He transforms pretty much like he did before, and with no paint rub (thanks Future!). Even the chest gears work nicely :) 

Altmode photos to come later as he's still wet from last coat of future.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      492.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    would be cool to see the screen caps aswell :D  nice job!!

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Nice upgrades. I'd love to see sharper pics though.

4. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

I'll have to check and see if that's allowed by forum rules... copyright n stuff. Thanks though :) 

I'll see if I can manage better pics in the sunlight tomorrow. Crap camera + no tripod makes taking pics of silver pretty tough!

5. ^BumbleBee^

^BumbleBee^ Active Member

6. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Really appreciate the praise my friend, makes the months of planning + work worthwhile :)  I see you're becoming quite the Radicon too, I have no doubt you could put my effort to shame!

7. ^BumbleBee^

^BumbleBee^ Active Member

Nah, if your Megatron is displayed beside my BBBB, my BBBB is literaly THRASHED by Megatron haha. Love the colour of Megatron's body. Very nice

8. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Great job. Mad skills.
    Looking forward to the alt mode pics.

9. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Updated with better photos :)  Hopefully you can see the new arms and paintjob better now.

10. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Added yet more photos, though somehow forgot altmode again lol.

11. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Photo/progress update in OP

12. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

I don't like the left arm, looks really out of place and doesnt suit the undersea aesthetic of the rest of the design, but everything else is great especially the murder arm.
    Doesnt it look a bit strange in alt mode though since its been sized down?

13. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

The left arm was just the best I had available to me (and that claw was bloody expensive) - so if you can think of a better suited 'bit' I'd be happy to revise it. I spent weeks looking for something to do the job. The thin bits are supposed to look like the hydraulics you can see in the movie... I may yet wrap them with various cables etc. for detail.

The cannon does look smaller in altmode, but looks just as good in my opinion. At the end of the day there's only so much you can do with this mould, never gonna have both modes movie accurate without spending a lot of money on it.

14. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Have a look for Spawn cyber units blue battle unit. They are action figures and some of them come with claws that look exactly like megatrons, that would work perfectly for the left arm and they're not too expensive.