Yes, The Myth is True.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Getter Eagle, May 22, 2006.

1. Getter Eagle

Getter Eagle Banned

I'm sorry if this isn't the right board for this (I think it is, though!) I was just so annoyed by this that I decided to post.

I work at a Target in New York, on Long Island specifically. I was in the warehouse, supposedly doing something very important, but in reality I was drinking a soda and looking around the toy racks for anything new that hadn't been put out on the floor yet. I noticed that we had about 400 boxes of Marvel Legends Legendary Riders. I moved on. I went into the delivery bay to throw my cup out, and I saw a box labled for defects. Defects are any product that we find in the store that's broken, missing pieces, spoiled, etc... we file a claim for them in the computer, and toss them in a box to be sent back to the corporate office for "proof."

I'll occasionally peek in there to see what kinds of WACKY things the customers have destroyed (90% of the defects are items that have been ruined by customers, NOT shipping errors) There's usually a lot of spoiled dairy products that have been left out by the registers. These are usually empied out and put in a plastic bag to keep the container from stinking up the box. We're not really supposed to be playing around with anything in the box, but I will because I'm tough shit like that (I mean, I'm in good with managment so they don't care.)

So I look inside earlier, and what do I see. Variant Wonder-Man, Scarlett Witch, Variant Sasquatch, a Hobgoblin figure, and a bunch of Star Wars Classic trilogy figures that I've NEVER seen on the shelf at my store. EVER. What's worse is that these items were marked to be thrown out, and NOT to be sent back to the main office. There was absolutely nothing wrong with them. Coupled with the fact that they were all pretty rare toys, I can safely assume that someone wanted to dig these out of the garbage later on that night and sell them on E-Bay or something. So I got to talking to some of the stock guys, and they said that they keep track of what toys are popular on Ebay so they can sell them.

The ones that I talked to said that they didn't participate in this stuff, so they'd say it was Ok for me to take the figures. I took them out of the boxes, signed them all into the store computer, picked up the variant wonderman and sasquatch for myself, and put the rest out on the shelves.

I was pretty annoyed by that! I just wanted to share the story and let everyone else get mildly agrivated!

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, that's pretty lame of the other employees. I mean, they weren't even going to pay for them before ebaying them? Just steal them? That's basically what it amounts, too.

What losers.

Good for you, though, for actually putting them back on the shelves.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No surprise, dude because its also happening in my country too. If it can happen in Asia, it will definately take place in the USA where things are more advanced and sophisticated...

4. Optimus Law

Optimus Law Pending Court Order

I just feel robbed after reading that. Thats good to know.

5. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

um...whiskey tango foxtrot? whoever did that sucks.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's just pathetic. Scalping toys doesn't even make you that much money. (Ok, maybe SW stuff and chases can...) But for, say, a new TF deluxe, you'd make like $5 profit tops. Thankfully the overnight people in my store are way too dumb to do anything like that. Except me, but then I just buy the stuff I want anyway and make sure the rest it out on the floor.

7. SFGMaster

SFGMaster Owns a Juvisy

It does if you frickin' STEAL them from your employer rather than pay for them.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Right, good point. Getter, you should AP on their asses.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    whattheeff, whattheeff, whattheeff...

*head explodes*

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That sucks. I know there can be thieves in any workplace, but this sounds worse...taking joys away from toy collectors (not to mention kids).

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    And we wonder where all those Alt Swerves went off too.

12. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    there is a guy who has an in with the stock guy at my local TRU, whenever I go there on the day after shipment, I would see the same two guys talking, and often times the conversation goes something like "so did you get (insert toy name here) that I hid for you?" The stock guy would hide them in various locations in TRU for this guy. I've also heard about them talking about e-bay many times, so I don't think he's doing it for personal collections.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    someone else from long island awesome! I hope thats not the target I shop at!

14. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

Ahhh, I always love these stories coming from Long Island.;) 

But seriously, I guess these "inside jobs" are commonplace, and although very unfair to the customer, I guess people would dismiss such claims because they would argue that these are just toys. :( 

Then again, whenever I go to Target, I always get the "whatever's on the shelf" answer when I politiely ask if there's other stuff in the stockroom. Only time staff help is when I get the DPCI #.

15. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I don't. They were all at one of my TRUs (5 on one day and a few here and there after after that). I asked around if anybody wanted one, but never got any replies. *sigh* If only my time machine worked instead of shocking me....

16. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

That's not cool.

17. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Well that explains all the times I got screwed looking for new TFs at Target.

18. Getter Eagle

Getter Eagle Banned

I work at the Target in Westbury by Roosevelt Field Mall. I've reported them to the warehouse manager, and he was furious. He said that he wouldn't say that anyone told him about it, though. I have a feeling that won't styop the toys from sitting and rotting in the back room, though.

It really pisses me off, because I've NEVER seen some of these toys at retail. Ever. Yet, when I go out to some of the other Targets in my area, they're always so much better stocked. I don't know why this area is so piss poor when it comes to toys and games, and keeping them in stock. Its supposed to be the "commerce capital" of Long Island.

19. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As disturbing as this is (and it is)... I am not shocked by it at all! I am shocked that these employees feel that stealing from the company that pays their cheques is a good idea. Personally, I tip off the manager and watch their sorry ass get fired for a few bucks profit of the bay! If someone was stealing from me... I would definitely want to know about it!

Just my two cents.

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing the story. That's some evil, low down shit. Kudos to you for helping put a dent in their plans. No telling how often that goes down though. Probably quite often, and I bet it's definitely widely practiced. Sucks for the collectors who buy just for the genuine appreciation of the product, and in a way it hurts the kids out there looking for cool new stuff to play with even more.