Yes or No to Classics Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by j.a.f.o., Dec 17, 2008.

1. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

My soon to be 4-year-old is becoming a Transformers fan, although he's still too young to play with the more sophisticated toys (he's getting some Universe Legends figures and Animated Powerbots Bumblebee for Christmas).

That said, I'm currently on the fence as to whether to buy Classics Optimus to hold for him until he turns 5 or 6 (or 7), or just wait until the next toy incarnation of Prime comes out.

Any opinions?

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about something like Universe Silverbolt? Lights, sounds, easy transformation, cool futuristic plane thing going on.

Classics Prime is a solid figure but I think it might require just a little more dexterity to transform. Even I (not saying much) have some difficulty getting his arms/arm panels to click into place while getting him back into truck mode.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yes, kids break toys no sense in worrying about if he'll do it now or later. When I was four, I went through at least 3 G1 Primes because I kept breaking off his legs. Classics Prime is made of sterner stuff.

4. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

5. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Don't underestimate the tike. I've told this story here before, but my youngest son at 2 years old could transform many of my figures. I'd come home to a "honey he got hold of your toys," expecting the worse, only to find that he'd transformed most of them 100% correct. It's quite scary how the mind can work, he figured out Classics Prime early.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to pick him up a few Power Scouts! *recalls "Stompers" thread* :D 

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My 4 year old has classic prime, but he likes powermaster Optimus prime alot better (just the cab).
    He can transform him by himself and its a good looking toy as well. Plus no need for extra stuff, but you could get a the trailer for him too. when he gets a little older give him the head and guns to form powermaster prime. Find one cheep on ebay!

Anyway thats my 2 cents, you'll really save yourself lots of time if he can transform him himself.

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

3 Things Every Young Boy Should Have:

1. Red Ryder B.B. Gun

2. A Loyal Dog

3. Optimus Prime

'nuff said.

8. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

2 of those 3 things will poke an eye out. (on subject) my nephew was 4 or 5 when i let him play with some scout class figures and he figured them out within minutes. that christmas i gave him optimus primal for christmas ( for some reason i had an extra one:crazy: ) he LOVED it. his folks thought he wasnt ready for something that complicated and instead bought him power rangers figures. he played with primal for days at a time, and he never touched the PR figs. so i think tha answer is weather or not YOU think hes ready,

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I got G1 Prime when I was 3 (Christmas 1984). And he didn't take any significan't damage till his arm broke off. 10 years later. But perhaps animated Voyager Prime would be a good option too.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I broke every toy I ever had when I was a kid, no lie. but just because I broke them and los all their parts, doesn't mean I still didn't enjoy them to the point where I wanted them all back 20 years later. I enjoyed the heck out of those toys.

Buy him some fun ones!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  11. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Powermaster Prime was one of my favorites as a kid... I was so excited to finally have a show-accurate Prime (lol in retrospect...).
    But seriously, it's a solid toy that is still fun after having lost the Powermaster many years ago. It's also one of the very few TFs that survived my childhood, and is still in great shape.
    The same can't be said for Rodimus:
    [​IMG]

But yeah, PM Prime for the win!

12. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    I was thinking Animated Prime as well. Pretty sturdy feel to him. Not overly complex, poseable, up to date with the media and if the kid would accidentally loose the accessories, it wouldn't harm it as much as say...loosing Classics Prime's guns would ;) 

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Buy him Classics Prime. Sorry, but Classics Prime is a more solid and better made figure than any version of Animated Prime.

14. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    WOW.....3 G1 Primes? You were a very lucky kid.......I didn't even get one G1 Prime when i was a kid. It was always too expensive/sold out.

15. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My only hesitation on Voyager Animated Prime would be the waist gimmick. This may just be me, but after owning him for a few months I still find it a bit tricky to rotate his waist back into place when going from robot back into firetruck. Of course, you could always nab a deluxe Prime (though I'm sure he wouldn't find a smaller Prime nearly as :bay ).

Sadly, I am still waiting for my Classics Prime to arrive so I can't really comment on it.

16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy him a classics Prime now.

17. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I only just got a classics Prime myself (well, Ultra Magnus...) and after fiddling around with it for a while I can safely say yes.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics Prime is great. The transformation's a bit harder for Classics figures then the original G1's, but it's not by much and they're much sturdier. Classics Prime will probably be able to take a beating more. I do also like Animated Voyager Prime. The figure's slick and very playable. My only qualm is the stupid ax it comes with.

If you're getting him a Prime you should try and save a Megatron for him too. Prime will need someone to fight!

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I definitely recommend Classics Prime. It's not too difficult and it's totally solid. Even if he is a little young, you can have some fun transforming it for him and watching play with it :) 

20. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I'd definitely buy him a classics prime......Why not do both? Buy him a classics Prime while there's still plenty available and if something else comes out later on when he's 7, buy him that too. He'll love you twice as much!!