Yes, another Beast Wars debate

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ShinMusashi44, May 6, 2006.

1. ShinMusashi44

ShinMusashi44 Well-Known Member

But how is that any differnt than the way he talks to alot of other people here? He makes smart ass comments to people all the time. I see it everyday with the way he talks to people. I know that hes hurt some peoples feeling here before. And it gets on my nerves. Im not attacking the guy. I know the guys not an idiot Its just that the pointhe made was so stupid i had to say something.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I believe Nevermore was being facetious though.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Who are these "most people"?
    Birds lay eggs. Mammals don't. seems pretty obvious to me.

4. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Banned

Monotremes do :wink: 

But yeah. Even children know birds =/= mammals.

5. ShinMusashi44

No, i dont thing he was. If you read the other comments, he doest sound humorous at all.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I think he does, he gets his point across, sometimes in a condesending way, but I often find he's sarcastic, ironic and facetious. People just don't seem get it soemtimes.

7. ShinMusashi44

Go ask any "billy bob joe" that walks down the street and i bet you money they didn't know that. I've heard it a million time in my life.

8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    While there are some who would dearly like to forget Beast Machines (and some who don't), it's worth noting that a key plot element was the idea that the Maximals "brought the organic back to Cybertron." This implies that they didn't have it before. Whatever reason they had for being called "Maximals," instead of "Autobots," they weren't organic before coming to Earth.

9. ShinMusashi44

I know this, i never said they were organic before earth. I was saying that they more than likely all had or were mostly robot animal forms on cybertron. Yeah and that whole plot in the show ruined it for me. I liked it up till that point. But it still better than the stuff we get now days:lol 

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I didn't knew that. Seriously, I though birds were mammals. :stick: 

Back to the topic: I guess Primal and the other could have vehicles modes.
    BUt I have a question: in "Beast Machines" Primal said that the reason of the "Beast Wars" was too bring back the organic element to Cybertron. ¿Does that mean the beast modes were lost for years?

11. zotmogronn

zotmogronn TIGER JAWS OF DEATH.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You can have beast modes without organic material. G1 did it just fine.

Their transmetal forms were bio-mechanical though. transmetal II brought their organic content even higher. so when they came back to cybertron, they brought organic/biomechanical technology with them via those forms.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Umm... they did say MAXIMIZE when they transformed. You know, to become larger. I figured since you know all about Maximus being a roman route word than you must know all about the related terms as well. :redface2: 

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I don't think the writers declaratively stated "WE SHALL CALL THEM MAXIMALS, AS IT IS A DERIVATION OF A TERM MEANING 'THE HIGHEST OR GREATEST POSSIBLE." Nor do I think they decided, declaratively, "WE SHALL USE MAXIMAL SOLELY BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE MAMMAL." Arguing for these extremes, so far, has made a lot of folks in this argument sound rather silly.

Now, this is simply a far-fetched guess, but I assume that the Beast Wars writers were aiming at the same clever wordplay for a faction name that brought about the terms "Autobot" and "Decepticon," one being a fusion of the words "Automobile and Robot," the other being a play on the word "Deception."

"Maximal" can be, cleverly enough, a play on the term "mammal" and a usage of the term "maximal" (to be the greatest, to achieve a maximum) at the same time. OHMAHGAWD AMAZING!

Similarly, I figure "Predacon" just came as a natural follow-up to a term like "Decepticon - " Take a menacing term, like "predator," and add the conjunction that the Transformers continuity has now established for its evil robots - "-con" - and add it to that term. Worked for "Terrorcons" and the "ultracons" in the DW comics.

In my opinion, though, trying to justify these terms within the continuity of the show is pretty silly. I echo what's been said before and point out that, yeah, a lot of the names the Transformers have seem pertinent to their alternate modes while only on Earth.

...well, that's because it just matches up well. It's word association for the kids who watch the show. Cheetor, the Chetah robot. Fortress Maximus, the Fortress robot. Bumblebee, the yellow VW Beetle robot. Optimus Prime, the first leader robot. (Okay, so they might not know what "Optimus" and "Prime" mean, but at ages 4-8, at least this gives kids a strong hint!) Megatron, the mega-powerful Decepticon leader. I don't think it's much more than that.

15. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Much like any other show that MUST involve lanaguages other than the one one hears them in wrere they to be happening for real, I have always simply figured that the names chosen by Transformers on Earth or for use in English were either A) Directly influenced by the alt mode in some way, either as a reference, derivative, or joke on it (Camshaft, anyone? Who happens to be a rotary engine car that hasn't got one?), or B)the closest approximation of the meaning of their real name as was possible. So Ratbat, to use him as an example, is not really called "Ratbat" normally. His true name would be Cybertronian terms that have a similar meaning, or reference Cybertronian fauna that fulfill such roles for them. We're merely seeing/hearing the translated forms.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, we speak cybertronian. Cheetor taught it to our ancestors.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Is that part of the Beast Wars story? If so, that's pretty clever. :D  I like that.

18. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    Actually Cheetor just manages to teach a few words to the early hominids. There's really nothing to say that any of it was recalled later.

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From that quote, I'd say it implies the opposite. To bring something back, it has to be there in the first place. We know there was some organic whatever on Cybertron before BW, as seen in BM by way of Nightscream, the organic goo, and all that jazz.

It seems now to me that animal alt modes may have been the norm for Maximals and Preds before the start of BW. The evolution from Autobot to Maximal and Decepticon to Predacon may have simply been that change from mechanical alts modes to animal-based modes. If you go by the theory (I think it's theory) that the Preds are all descended from Predaking and the Horrorcons, it can make some sense there. Plus that would be a change large enough to warrant a new name for the race. Then when they arrived on Earth, it would simple be scanning new alt modes like they usually do every time TFs crash our party.

20. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    This only holds if you interperet "back" in the sense of returning it to where it was before. But one can just as easily bring something back to a place it never was when they return to the place they come from. Just as you do when you "bring back a souvenier" from a trip. Except this was a little more important.

Mind, BM does seem to indicate an organic past to Cybertron before Primus and/or the Quintessons arrived.