Yellowing on newer figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Thenames9, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Do any of you worry that some of your newly purchased figures will yellow over time? I display my figures in my room, and I try to keep figures with white plastic out of sunlight. So, do you think that on some new figures the white plastic will yellow? Such as Turbo Tracks, Special Ops Jazz and others?

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    it is nothing diffrent with new as with old ones, keep them out of sunlight (UV rays baisiclly) and dont keep the room to hot. Then the figures would be fine.

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    But which of the newer figures would be particularly prone? Just all figures with white plastic, or just particular ones? Which of your figures do you worry about?

4. godbomber

godbomber Henkei != Hentai

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plastic yellowing occurs due to oxidation of a fire-retardant chemical added to the mix (I think), so yellowing can, and has, effect any color of plastic, but its more obvious when its on white plastic, so any figure with a lot of white (Drift) could be susceptable to yellowing.. IF the plastic used still retains that fire retardant chemical.

All that being said, I haven't heard or seen any major yellowing on toys since G1, other than toys that were actually *played* with & left in direct sunlight by kids.

You can get UV tinting film at Lowes/Home Depot, and take care of your windows that way, get heavy curtains that block most natural light, or keep everything sealed & in AFA archival cases & put in a dark closet never to see the light of day. You have many, many options!

5. Weitat1988

Weitat1988 Well-Known Member

i think better not display ur TFs in the room that much
    i had some TF displaying on my desktop for sometime , they get yellow real fast
    most of my collection are in the glass cabinet they tends to have very little dust and almost little yellowing

6. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll keep the white figures away from the light..