Customs: yellowing - how to remove

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ghost Prime, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i know its been asked a million times before but how on earth do you remove yellowing on White Transformers?

im getting a Grand Maximus soon but have noticed odd spots of yellowing on the figure. is there anyway to remove this and bring back his white original color?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Try Bleach-White. It;s made for tires with white walls (you might be too young to know WTF these are) anyway, spray that shit on a rag or Q-tip.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Try Bleach-White. It;s made for tires with white walls (you might be too young to know WTF these are) anyway, spray that shit on a rag or Q-tip.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I hear whitening toothpaste works, but I don't have anything yellowed to try it on.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I hear whitening toothpaste works, but I don't have anything yellowed to try it on.

6. VaporwareII

VaporwareII Active Member

Yellowing is actually the breakdown of the plastic. It is most often caused by UV radiation, but it can be caused by caustic chemicals that destroy the plastic itself.

Abrasion is the most effective method. Typically yellowing is very shallow into the plastic itself and can be fixed by sanding the parts, then working up in grit like a car's paintjob.

Sometimes you can remove yellowing chemically by dissolving the top layer with acetone or another solvent.

7. VaporwareII

VaporwareII Active Member

Yellowing is actually the breakdown of the plastic. It is most often caused by UV radiation, but it can be caused by caustic chemicals that destroy the plastic itself.

Abrasion is the most effective method. Typically yellowing is very shallow into the plastic itself and can be fixed by sanding the parts, then working up in grit like a car's paintjob.

Sometimes you can remove yellowing chemically by dissolving the top layer with acetone or another solvent.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    White paint can cover it up.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    White paint can cover it up.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I've made some significant yellowing "reductions" by simply doing this.
    Get some harsh dishwashing liquid and put it on the spot or all over the figure, I depends on how much yellowing there is. If it's parts then put in a cup with detergent. Let it be so for about 3-4hrs (but check it each 30min not all plastics may react well with harsh detergent) and here after you clean it off with water and dry it. Next you take some Isopropyl alcohol and with a piece of soft tissue or something else you put it one the yellowed spot and start rubbing it gently. Do this till you sense the yellowing either doesnt get off any longer or is gone.
    I've done this on several figures quite succesfully, that both being wheeljack, jetfire, searchlight, slingshot etc.
    However complete yellowing to near brown wont get white. It helps on things that are slightly yellowed.

11. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I've made some significant yellowing "reductions" by simply doing this.
    Get some harsh dishwashing liquid and put it on the spot or all over the figure, I depends on how much yellowing there is. If it's parts then put in a cup with detergent. Let it be so for about 3-4hrs (but check it each 30min not all plastics may react well with harsh detergent) and here after you clean it off with water and dry it. Next you take some Isopropyl alcohol and with a piece of soft tissue or something else you put it one the yellowed spot and start rubbing it gently. Do this till you sense the yellowing either doesnt get off any longer or is gone.
    I've done this on several figures quite succesfully, that both being wheeljack, jetfire, searchlight, slingshot etc.
    However complete yellowing to near brown wont get white. It helps on things that are slightly yellowed.

12. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

Both of my parents smoke so this is something I have to worry about to. I hate it so much. Cant stand the smell, cant stand hte stupidity, cant stand the yellowing of all of my stuff, and i cant stand how it even makes me and all of my clothes smell regardless of whether they are washed or not. Sucks.

When I move out I'm going to have to de-yellow everything I own so I'm always interested in topics like this.

13. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

Both of my parents smoke so this is something I have to worry about to. I hate it so much. Cant stand the smell, cant stand hte stupidity, cant stand the yellowing of all of my stuff, and i cant stand how it even makes me and all of my clothes smell regardless of whether they are washed or not. Sucks.

When I move out I'm going to have to de-yellow everything I own so I'm always interested in topics like this.