Customs: Yellowing / Dying

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SOUNDCASTER, Dec 21, 2005.

1. SOUNDCASTER

SOUNDCASTER CreativeIntelligenceAgent

I am aware of a process called "Dying", where one can Dye the plastic of a figure a different shade or color. I was wondering how this process would affect the "yellowing" found in most older figures due to smoking/sunfading. For example, if one had a G1 Jetfire, Banana Yellow from smoking and sunfading, and soaked it in white dye, would it restore the whiteness of the plastic, even a minute degree?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the reason smoking yellows old TFs is because in the smoke itself is a residue of nicotine and tar... this residue settles on your transformers, your wall, carpet, etc, and after time, enough buildup of the residue shows the residue's color which is yellow. honestly to do a good dye, you'd like to be able to clean some of the film off the toy first!

Andy

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think that only somke causes the yellowish appearence on the tf's plastic. I have an original G1 First -aid that was stored in the attic for more then 10 years in a smoke and pet free house and when I took it out, more than a year ago, I noticed that its white plastic parts became yellowish.

4. SOUNDCASTER

And for sunfading? Just ignore the cleaning process?

And could you elaborate some on the process of "dying"... seems being, I haven't done it before?

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    go to the kitbash forum, there's a big guide to kitbashers pinned to the top, which includes dying :)  and yeah, for sunfade, just wipe it clean of dust.

Andy

6. SOUNDCASTER

Thanks! *sighs and smacks head for not noticing*