Minor/Repaint: Yellow Stripes? No paint needed!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jametron, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    This is certainly nothing special, but last night I decided I wanted yellow stripes on one of my Universe Ironhides... for detail (break up some 'o that red!) and a little more G1 homage.

Anyway, I didn't have any yellow paint available and have limited funds... what I DID have laying around though was basic yellow electric tape.
    I think it worked just fine (or at least better than I expected)... and obviously it was very simple. I just applied the tape in vehicle mode, trimmed to size and then CAREFULLY cut into the grooves of his different panels, so the tape could seperate with the rest of him while transforming.

On a side note, most hardware stores have a variety of different colored elec. tape to use on other projects if need be... red (ironically about the same shade as Universe Sideswipe), green, blue, white, orange... and of course good 'ol black.

Anyway, thought maybe this could come in handy for anyone wanting stripes, but not having paint OR not WANTING to paint!

Oh, and the alt. mode pics are kinda blurry... my apologies, but you get the jist of the stripe just fine regardless

//peace.

Attached Files:

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Electric Tape? I suppose it works and isn't messy. Not exactly permanent though. Then again, I suppose it isn't any different from using Reprolabels.

3. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I can't speak for reprolabels as I've yet to get any, but I can say this, that electrical tape will endure much longer than most of my G1 stickers have. I mean most of them are still in pretty good shape, but after years of transforming some of them have started to get "caught" by moving pieces (the stickers on Prowls legs for example) and are barely hanging on... this tape will last as long if not longer I'm certain if applied properly.

Besides, I surely don't "play" with my TF's anymore, so I'm not really worried about them coming off per se either. Every once in a while I'll "manipulate" him I'm sure, but mostly he'll stand displayed with the rest of my collection.

Anyway, I doubt many will go this route, but it worked just fine for me and thought maybe it could be helpful for others.

4. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

Another thing you could use is the "pin stripe" tape you can find at most automotive sections. All different colors and widths.

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Word. Or check your local hobby shop. Mine has a pretty nice selection from pactra, which I think is owned by testors. The tape comes in a huge role with like 6-8 sizes of stripes to choose from (1/2'' to 1/32")

Anyways this is a good solution if you can't find the model detail stripes (usually run you $10 each role but they'll last for tons fo customs) Also the yellow looks sweet in bot mode since it gives him more color, good job

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I've used tape for a long time some times if there's an over priminent screw hole I cover it up with tape.

And remember Action Masters had those gaps in their forearms I used to cover that up with tape as well.

I also use the seperation dividers from the sticky labels for VHS cassettes I paint them black and apply them to give the illusion of seperation to G1 characters that have their legs welded together. such as those Pull Back and Go Powermasters. or various late 80's Transformers.

Its an not intrusive and simple way to give an effect.

7. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Hello, new guy here. I just got my Ironhide for Christmas and I'm really digging how yours looks. If you dont mind me asking, what paint did you use for your windows? I'd like to try a repaint of my own.
    Thanks in advance!
    Later

8. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh crap I need to get me some very creative

9. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Jametron, again, good work on your Ironhide and I would love to know what colors you used for your repaint. I've done the spine and head mod, and repainted some black and silver on my own, but cant seem to find a blue that I really like for the windows. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Later