Yellow Box Line "Classics vs. Movie" Angst Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yes, but some people get confused over things like "is Seaspray Classics or Movie?" and then need Hasbro hold their hands and officialize things. Other people aren't as rigid in what they consider Classic style.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, if a person is so anal about the definity of a line of transformers such that they need Hasbro/Takara to tell them what goes where....

I would definitely say that HasTak have your soul. Because they can induce emotions from you according to their will (you get pissed because they put something in an ambiguous line).

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    If eventually you can't tell which universe a figure belongs to, I say **** yeah. It's best to appreciate a figure for it's standalone qualities than discard it based on which line it's packaged under.

4. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I think it's stupid to make such a big deal out of where to display a toy. If something works as a Classics figure in your eyes then good for you.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

My issue isn't figuring out which toys belong where, as that's based more on personal preference, but rather all the different names these lines are getting. I feel that it's getting a little disorganized.

We've recently had Generations, Hunt for the Decepticons, and now Reveal The Shield. It can become confusing for someone that's fairly new to collecting and not nearly as savvy as the rest of us.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    they should just stick with one line then: Transformers: The line

7. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Yes, exactly. They're confused about packaging and official classifications, not about "classic aesthetic" itself.

8. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

My opinion is: If there not G1 enough for you, don't buy them. Does it really matter if Classics and movieverse are shipped in the same waves. It's not like you have to buy all of them.

9. Abrogate

News Credits:
    HFTD and RTS are the same line, the "Yellow Box TF2010" line. The only difference is the cross-promotion.

It's not just that. Aesthetic itself can be ambiguous. Remember that thread where GC was absolutely convinced that Seaspray was "movie aesthetic" and was brow beating people that put it in their Classics shelf, because they believed it was "Classic aesthetic or close enough?"

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Some people will just bundle everything together, others will do it on a per-line basis. Personally, I think it looks quite nice to see people's collections when an entire shelf is Beast Wars and a different shelf is entirely Animated, but I myself like to do some mix-and-matching.

Now, some people just say "screw what -continuity- it goes in, just put it with the box it came in," and for those people it's easy. Generations goes on one shelf, Universe goes on one shelf, Yellow box goes on one shelf, ROTF goes on one shelf. But, other people -are- interested in continuity, and when a line like the Yellow Box is ambiguous, they're left wondering, "well, IS my Seaspray ROTF continuity, or is he Classics continuity?"

It may be illogical to you, but I don't see why people are being called out on how they like to organize things.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, I agree with you Abrogate, that no one should be called out on how they organize things. But I believe complaining about Hasbro's way of organizing things, is just as bad as someone complaining about someone elses' organization setup.

If people like to display their lines "by the line" so be it. If people like to display their transformers "by the character" so be it. But why crap about what Hasbro is doing?

The fact remains that we are getting great toys.

11. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Because Hasbro's what creates the continuity, and for people who organize by continuity, they're following Hasbro's releases. And this was easy when everything was its own line. A shelf for Beast Machines, a shelf for Cybertron, simple. But, when Hasbro suddenly changes a policy that's lasted for over 20 years and decides to go ambiguous, it can be confusing. Some people aren't good with change.

And, like I said at the beginning of the thread, that's what makes the "United" line convenient. It's a guide to follow to see what "belongs" with Classics and what can stay in the Movie line.

I myself am not following that guide to the letter, since according to that guide, Seaspray would go out. And I like my Seaspray on my season 2 shelf :p  But I still think it's nice to have such guides.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    What about Lockdown? He's clearly a movie character but he's appeared in the Drift mini-series...

13. Abrogate

News Credits:
    And he did so under Hasbro's mandate

14. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    For a bunch of grown ups collecting toys that change from one thing to another, this fandom has serious issues with change. :lol 

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    So basically there are fans who tries to organize lines like Hasbro and because of Hasbro's ambiguous lines/where the design is placed, the fans are having a frenzy about it.

My question is who is the problem? Hasbro? or those fans?

Tbh, it baffles me a bit to see fan-rage on the issue of "lines".

16. Abrogate

News Credits:
    heh, yeah. When I read that issue of the IDW comics where Thundercracker is contemplating how "change is the very nature of our race," I just kept thinking "he's in the wrong fandom."

17. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't give a damn about package color/design. The package could be pink, mauve and lime, If I like a figure I will buy it.

Amen to that brother. And some refuse to let it go regardless on new names for the lines.

18. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we've all been in the situation at least once where someone tells us were idiots for having this figure with that display and vice versa. Sometimes it gets ridiculously out of hand. I do like to know what line a figure comes from but in the end the way its designed and the line its released in have nothing to do with how I display it.

Take for instance that I display my universe 2.0 Hot Shot with my Unicron trilogy shelf because he is very clearly meant to be that character.

And likewise I have my 2.0 and henkei Dinobot on my beast wars shelf because I just feel like he belongs there. If someone else doesn't feel it works then that's fine.

I guess what matters most to me is that character the figure is meant to represent. Placement on a shelf as to the supposed" proper" line the figure comes from does not matter to me. I mean there are plenty of people out there now posing thee FP Bruticus wit their classics. How dare they?! Those are Energon toys. Lol

19. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you may be generous in assuming some of these grown-ups can cope better on issues that don't involve what colored packaging their toys come in.

20. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I don't care about the name of the line while the toys are being released but a year or two down the road when I'm trying to quickly scan thru pages and pages of people's "For Sale" threads, searching thru each of the terms will be annoying.

Currently, I look for the word Classics rather than Universe or Generations. Now add Reveal the Shield or RtS to the list.