Yellow Box Line "Classics vs. Movie" Angst Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We fans dearly love our categories. The Generations subline was greeted with rejoicing. On the other hand, the Classics-styled figures in the Reveal the Shield subline...while being individually praised...seem to have provoked a wave of confusion. Some posters, in fact, seem genuinely upset over issues such as "is Lugnut classics or movie?" The fact that RotF molds (only of non-movie characters so far) are being redecoed into apparently G1 characters seems to blur things even more.

To avoid the issue being brought up again and again in any thread discussing the 2010 "yellow box" line, I have started a thread for use to discuss the issue, with any attendant angst or confusion.

My Personal Opinion: Many of the figures that have been released recently, from the "NEST" subline onward, are suitable for inclusion in a "G1 redux" or "Classics" styled collection. Others (i.e. RotF Mindwipe) are a near-total blend of both styles. A Hasbro rep has stated to the TFCC in a recent interview that they have released "legacy characters" in several different lines and try to do so whenever there is an opportunity. So I'll just use whatever works for me and never mind the packaging. :) 

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    my personal opinion is that it does not matter as long as they are good designs, they will be in my collection.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    To be honest, I don't really keep track of what toy goes in what line. To me, they all look good together. They are all being jumbled up together lately anyways. In the end, the name of the line is on a box I threw away.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

No angst for me.

I'm an out of package collector so they could sell them in brown paper bags just as long as I get cool new toys for the collection.

I'm a fan of the hybrid figures because for the most part the hybrids lack the things that I don't like about the movie toys while at the same time it brings something just a little bit different to the updates of Classic characters.

The very best part though is that uniting more things under one packaging label means that Hasbro has more freedom with what they can release. No more waiting around for a subline to open up, they can just release any cool new ideas under one label.

In an odd way they also feel kind of good because it feels like no one is being left out. With Lugnut for example Classic fans get to add Lugnut to their collection, movie fans get to add them to their collection, or you could use him for an Animated collection.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    For one thing, Hasbro said from the start that the Yellow Box is designed to be "ambiguous about continuity," which is why it just says "Transformers" on the box and no subline, other than the cross-promotion. They were basically setting it up like this all along. It also means a way to get more Classics-style Deluxes on the shelf without limiting how many waves Generations can hold.

The easiest way to measure what was "meant for" Classics is to see which molds end up in the Japanese "United" line. For instance, Lugnut made it in over there, so he is Classics and not Movie.

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Well put! My thoughts exactly!

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    All Transformers go with whoever they go with. Movie characters are only such if they were in the movie. Everything else is fair game, as long as it doesn't look like a vagina in the face around my other Classics. So ROTF Lockdown, Bludgeon, Lugnut can all fit right in.

However, stuff like:

[​IMG]

Nope.

In the end, it's just a matter of opinion and preference. Specific line-labels be damned. They are just code names for marketing initiatives.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

At 1st I was a little annoyed because I do keep one Sealed and one open and now it will be odd having Tracks and Jazz in Reveal the Shield boxes and Thunderwing in Generations.

Then I realized that it was a good thing because now we are getting double releases of classic style figures instead of the limited amount we would get in just Generations. So it's a win win really.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It's always been clear to me what figure has a "Classics" aesthetic and what is a Movie aesthetic figure. No angst for me.

10. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Packaging is immaterial to me.

The only 'intriguing' thing for me is.... what molds will be or won't be available for FunPub to use as club/con exclusives?

Supposedly 'movie' molds are off limits due to licensing with Dreamworks/whatever... but how far does that go? Certainly on-screen molds aren't likely, but what off-screen 'movie-style' molds would be possible? No off-screen guys from Movie1 & ROTF have been used, but would guys like Movie1 Incinerator or ROTF Bludgeon be possible? For yellow box, would Seaspray, Terradive, & Tomahawk be possible? Hopefully Tracks & Jazz being on a yellow card won't prohibit FP from using those molds.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think it can get a little confusing, especially for newer collectors.

12. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It's not confusing. People are only making it confusing because they're attached to that stupid CHUG acronym for some reason.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exactly what gets me edgy about it. FunPub runnin' outta unused molds, people. If I'm speculating about what could potentially be used as a Botcon figure, I'd like to know what's on the table and what's off.

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ This is my totally uninformed thought, but I doubt that they would be barred from using non-licensed vehicle molds of non-movie characters, even if they first showed up in the RotF line. And most of the Reveal the Shield line are new, blatantly Classics-style molds anyway. Doesn't really make sense to me that they would be blocked from using them.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with this so much that I will hug you.

I just went and looked at the toy galleries that I took for the site. The yellow box ones do not have a Dreamwave logo on them anywhere, so I'd say they are fair game for funpub. Tracks and Jazz will be on a Reveal the shield card that more than likely won't be affiliated with the movie either. I would imagine that unless any of the upcoming toys have "revenge of the moon" or whatever the new movie is called then Dreamwave won't have any rights to them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  16. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    My understanding is that while the 1st movie molds are an unclear issue, everything from ROTF onward is open to FP.

17. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Interesting to hear... so possibly even on-screen ROTF molds?

If I speculated on an 'answer' to the 'question': I know FP had mentioned this past year Hasbro gave them a lot of 'freedom'... so perhaps the 'off limits' bits have mostly been Hasbro being cautious and/or FP not choosing to use movie-style molds, like they've not chose to use Animated molds until Cheetor/Blurr.

Tracks/Jazz & the like shouldn't be in much question, just interesting where the 'gray area' bots will fall in the decision making process of Hasbro & FP decision makers.

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    It's not the acronym they're attached to, it's the "Classics aesthetic" of how the toys are designed. Of course, that's mostly irrelevant, because engineering has increased so much since 2006, that the new Generations toys look quite a bit more intricate than stuff like the Classics Seekers or Rodimus.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    If the "classic aesthetic" is all that matters, it shouldn't be confusing at all. It either looks classic or it doesn't.

20. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

It'd be simpler if Hasbro just did what they did with the Universe stuff and put the series of origin on there. "G1 comics series", "G1 cartoon series", "Live Action Films series". Kids will play with the G1 guys and have Scourge fight movie Bumblebee or something, but us picky fans will need a little bit of help from Hasbro to tell us how to play with out toys. XD