Years From Now, What Will The Legacy Of The Transformers Animated Line Be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jan 16, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I started this conversation in another much older thread and it wasn't getting very much attention. I think this discussion deserves it's own thread.

In your opinion, what will the legacy of this toyline be? It'll be interesting to see 5-10 years from now.

I wonder how fondly the TFA toyline will be looked at in the future. Will it be beloved like G1, Beast Wars, and Classics or will it go by the wayside like so many other toylines and be forgotten?

Just some food for thought. I for one LOVED the toyline and cartoon an I hope it will leave some kind of legacy and will not be forgotten and cast aside.

What do you think?

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Animated definitely left a impact on the Transformer community. Even those who hated its look will reference it when trying to describe some new and unsettling sculpts or animation art style.

Those who love it will perhaps remember it as the last dance for Transformers cell animation. Incredibly deep characters that are explored day by day rather than in a single biography blurb. Writing that knew how to make a interconnected grand plot work while remaining fun with episotic seemingly self contained episodes.

The Animated toys will be remembered for changeing the way takara designs Transformers. One of the most tremendous leaps in engineering. Clean and well thought out cuts for transformations that did a lot without feeling daunting or overcomplicated.

On top of this accuracy to the on screen models was successful. These leaps in engineering can be felt positively in every new converting Transformer toy since then.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think it will be anything more than a footnote.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Don't make me laugh.

Animated seemed to be the wake up slap that the Brand needed after the jumpstart of the movies. It was like the franchise told itself "hey fiction side of things, stop sucking." Regardless of first impressions, it appears a good majority of the fandom regards it highly, namely do to actual thought being put into the characters and an incredibly thoughtful universe that was homage-tastic. We have new characters that are already making their mark on newer parts of the franchise (Hello Lugnut, Lockdown, Bulkhead) while giving entirely new twists to oldies. The toys proved that the engineering stylized toys was very possible, and their accuracy was astounding. Deluxe Prowl is the supreme champ of motorbike Transformers, and freaking Rodimus Minor is a shining example of nearly EVERYTHING done right on a figure.

After the shakiness of the Unicron Trilogy and three solid series with Japan at the helm of the shows (aka: the worst of the worst in animu tripe) the fiction took quite a nose dive. Armada only got remotely less bad near the end, Energon rivaling G1 in overall quality control, and Cybertron ending in a lukewarm DBZ esque effort.

Animated had something none of those series did. Besides giving a damn about quality, it had soul. The fandom saw that, appreciated it, praised it, and allowed it to bury itself with their other treasured pieces of the franchise. Heck, lot's of people want even more. When's the last time your heard that? Outside Beast Wars or G1? I didn't see anyone hoping Armada or Energon would make a comeback and continue on in comics or a Japanese Headmasters type deal. There was, and still is an incredible amount of potential in series. For once, there weren't enough toys as every single toy character was featured in the show. It was the non toy characters in the show that were sadly never given one. So many loose ends to fill and the entire premise of season 4 was all planned out. Many would say it was canned before it's time.

5. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    playskool toys.

/thread

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Hopefully, long forgotten.

7. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Wow I didn't realize that there were this many haters out there.

8. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    not haters...it was just a crap storyline and crappy playskool toys

i like transformers...

not transformers for 3 year olds...

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Just ignore them.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I know I'll be loving it for years. It's pretty much a G1 reboot done absolutely right. It brought back ideas that would seem silly in other continuities, but somehow meshed them together in a bright, compelling package. I'm really, really disappointed in myself because I wasn't really a fan of it until the very end of the toy line.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Animated is my 2nd favorite toyline. The engineering and style are amazing. The clean, cartoon style was well needed after the "alien" movie style. These things look just like the cartoons. I agree, they killed the line too soon.

12. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i hated it when i first heard about it and saw the toys. then i was bored with other crap hasbro had coming out like the movie toys and gave it a watch. now i own all the toys and wish more were on the horizon.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think Animated will always be a line that's looked back on with both fondness and a sense of sadness for how it died too soon. It had major advances in engineering and design that gave us some surprisingly complex figures that still had easy to understand and accomplish transformations resulting in probably the most characterful robot modes in the franchise's history. Animated managed to pull off screen accuracy to a degree that no other line has ever managed, especially compared to its movie design contemporaries.

Yeah, there will always be the "dur-hur playskool crap lolz" crowd that hates everything to do with Animated, but what Transformers line doesn't have a few haters? Eventually they'll mostly stop caring and move on and most discussion of Animated will be fond memories of a toyline cut down in its prime in favor of crappy movie designs and five million Bumblebee variations (see, I told you the other lines have haters, too).

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure. Let's just ignore any opinion that is different than your own. I hear that makes for great discussion on a discussion board.

I think Animated will continue to be a very polarizing series as is already evident in this less than 2 page thread. However, it is the most accurate when it comes to animation and toy models. I jumped on the Animated bandwagon at Botcon 2010 and had 90% of the toys in less than 3 months.

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Not different, just ignorant. An opinion based on a piece of promo artwork and unchanged in the years that followed is not one worth being listened to.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Ironic post is ironic.

17. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The show appealed to both the kids and the hardcore, great storytelling, wonderful characterisation and voice acting and many well integrated nods to the fandom.

The toys managed to look like they'd been ripped out of the TV, the highly stylised look of the cartoon not proving an issue and producing some very well engineered Transformers, Blurr and Rodimus standing out.

Then you have the Allspark Almanacs - an absolute treasure trove of delights that highlight just how much thought, effort and genuine love of the franchise went into producing Animated.

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Completely agree. This was the series tht me back into transformers. I completely surprised myself and have almost every mold released (missing a few characters, but mostly skipped the repaints and activators).

The storytelling is exactly the kind of thing I want out of the franchise and I'm fond of the aesthetic.

Really gonna miss it.

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How can you possibly know how someone's opinion was based? And if someone didn't like Animated 3 years ago and still doesn't like it now they are ignorant? I fail to see your logic.

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because they're still using the same exact words used to describe it. No new thought into it, just "Nope, playskool, done."