Year One

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Switch625, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Anybody else see this over the weekend? I admit, I was really looking forward to it. The trailer had me laughing very hard so I had pretty high hopes. I found parts of it funny, but afterwards I kind of felt like "That's it? Really?" Year One had kind of a History Of The World, Part I feel to it, just without Mel Brooks' genius. Jack Black was basically playing himself. Michael Cera played a character very similar to the kinds of characters Michael Cera is known for playing. I really like him but I think he's even more typecast than Christopher Mintz-Plasse is. He's really got to get out and play different characters. Anyway, I really hoped Year One would be funnier than it was, but it wasn't.

2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I was so disappointed. Expected so much more from a Harold Ramis movie. And yeah, it felt like Orange County and History of the World, Part I mashed together and one was negating the other.

3. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I read a review of this where the guy said he would have preferred to have been mugged before getting to the ticket counter than have actually sat through the movie..

though the commercials looked funny .. everything else I've heard about it sounded terrible though..

I dunno maybe put it low on my netflix list..

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    There were funny parts, but the disappointment was extreme. Made me realize How much of a classic History of the World is. I thought it couldnt be as bad as it was, but there was little laughter (maybe a few snickers) in the theatre for at least 15 minutes. In a comedy film, that's a very bad thing.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Dumb story? 2 actors that dont know about acting? Nah, thanks.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Lost me as soon as I saw Jack Black in the trailer, his screen career needs to go and die in a fire.

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Wow, probably the worst movie I've seen in the past 5 years. I've never been more anxious to get out of the the theatres.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I won't be watching it. The trailer didn't impress me, and Jack Black just seems to play Jack Black in every single film he's involved with.

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

...wow.

I wasn't going to see it in theaters, but I was going to wait for the DVD, but now, I'll just go ahead and skip it.

I had read some harsh reviews (and they were well deserved, I see) I just never thought it would be this bad.

How do you take Black, Cera, Mintz-Plasse, Rudd, etc and end up with this? I mean...they should be able to take the material and make it good with their performances alone.

=( This sucks to hear.

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...You've been reading my girlfriend's mind haven't you?

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It takes a lot for me to actually see a comedy in theatres, and even though the previews made me laugh, I still was going to wait for the DVD. Despite the poor reviews I will probably still watch it. I don't think Jack Black is that bad as a side character, but he just can't carry a movie.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Raiding her pants actually, but close enougth.

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Oh I don't know about that. He's a likable enough guy. He's genuinely funny, but just not what you'd call...photogenic. He was great as Po in Kung Fu Panda, and I thought his performance in Shallow Hal was handled quite well. (And it did make me laugh.)

o_O ....

SNAP.

Shh... listen for a second folks... that there's the sound of a set of nuts being cracked, but good.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

When was the last time we saw a truly funny movie directed by a director over 50?