Yay! I got my first curio cabinet!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, May 24, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I could only afford a cheaper one just now (stupid transformers taking all my money...hmm wait...), so I had to assemble it carefully, but it's done and here's how I've stuffed it, at least for now. It opens with magnet click lock/unlock doors (2) on the right side.
    I love the curio cabinet idea for storing display tfs, I might have to add a lamp with a few small bulb outside the left side though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Very very nice. How much was that? Not that I have the money... or even the space for one now... but I want one...

3. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a very nice cabinet, I wouldn't mind having one myself. I have to say, though, that your arrangement of figures could be better; a lot of the shelves have figures that can't be seen well and so on. The bottom all-Optimus shelf especially, with everything jammed in next to each other, and Alt. Prime on top of G1 Prime's trailer, hiding Cyb Prime in the back....just doesn't look good. Take some figures out and work with your arrangement, and then you'll have a great display.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

yeah I hear you, I just assembled it today so tonight I just sort of stuffed figures in it, to see how much I could as much as anything. Plus the movie guys won't be staying in there long so I'll have more space to loosen up the g1s.

5. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    nice!!

im building myself a glass cabinet over the next couple weeks, entirely made of glass (well and these really cool metal clips that hold it all together)

can't wait to get it finished, but im having a really tough time finding the parts I need to make it. every cabinet I've seen, they are all WOODEN cabinets with glass windows, I dont want that. I want a GLASS cabinet. NO wood. wood is garbage and just decomposes

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Wait til I show you my new setup. One of these days, I'll get around to taking pics.

7. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    That's one before/after shots I can look at over and over again :thumb 

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ikea has a good glass case that is a cheaper alternative to your average curio cabinet. My local comic shop (Heroes Aren't Hard To Find) displays various statues and busts in his...but they hold action figures really well too. I'm planning to go to the GIJoe convention in Atlanta this fall so I'll swing by the Ikea store on the way back w/ a couple of these.

[​IMG]

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11638&langId=-1&chosenPartNumber=10011055

9. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah that one looks ok, no lighting included though and it looks a bit unstable/like it could get top heavy.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Nice! That is a great space saver, and it also keeps them dust free. And wow are those lightning bolts on your walls? I want to see the whole wall!

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I need one of those

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ???

There's a light on the top of it. I think it runs an extra 8 dollars for it.

It also has a bracket on the back side to secure it to a wall to prevent any possible top heavy scenarios.

13. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Didn't take long to fill that mother... nice addition.

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

???

Well then lighting's not included (as I stated) then is it (despite being pictured). Yeah the one I got here has a wall mount on the top/back too, but with the heavy wood (-like material) and mirrors on the back, no need to drill a hole in my wall.

15. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got this one for... are you ready ...you may want to sit for this ...only $163 from... BIG LOTS! My mom hired a guy to put together because we didn't really want to f*** it up. It came with an awesome under cabinet light fixture too(cable on top). I still need to clean it, stick the shelves in, then load 'er up! The great thing is that this curio is fantastic quality, and you would pay $400-$1000 at a furnature store.
    [​IMG]

16. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah that's great looking and a great deal, larger than the one i got too (i'd have rather gone larger but...) It had to be assembled to did it? I wonder if all such cabinets do. The $1000 range ones I was looking at at the Brick opened by sliding the front glass surface to the side, which was padded around the edges so almost no air/dust at all gets in. This one you got seems to be half way between those and the one I got. Nice score!

17. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Between the wire cutout and the sidedoors, some occasional dusting will take place, but I'll probably use a compressed air can. :rolleyes2 

18. Paradigm-Shift Prime

I was thinking of dusting that way in the cabinet when the time comes (I have them for my computer), you think there'd be any risk of damage with the low temp air?

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You made it sound as if there was no lighting available. When you buy this item, you buy the light with it, there's really no point in doing so otherwise (as there is a big hole in the top for the light).

That's how alot of Ikea furniture works, you buy the pieces and put it together yourself, so to say that "it doesn't come with it" just doesn't make sense to me when we are talking about something from Ikea.

20. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have 8 of the Ikea showcases. They are very stable and an excellent value for the money.