Yamato's 1/15 Bubblegum Crisis Motoslave

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Vangelus, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got mine yesterday, thought I'd put my thoughts here as well. :D  Hopefully will be able to take some pictures later.

The Motoslave/Priss package is like a really nice toy that's trying it's damnedest to be a bad toy...odd explanation, I know.

The transformation is intricate, but not painful IMO. Nothing felt like it'd snap in half, though there are some -very- thin parts. And some other very thin parts on -tight- joints. However, the bike does need to be pulled into 4 separate components for the transformation. What surprised me was, I didn't mind the parts-forming all that much. Though it's not as cool as a perfect transform, it doesn't feel like a COMPLETE hemmoraging of bits.

Also, the front hood piece is held on with a magnet. Um. Cool?

My major problem with the Motoslave's robot mode is that its shoulders don't really seem to lock into anything, and this is -after- a lot of other parts rather painstakingly lock together for solidity. Once again, it's like it wants me to hate it or something. It also has non-round pegs on the various hands, which means no easy wrist swivel.

It does hold the huge gun better than I expected, though. There's a little droopage due to the shoulders not locking in much, but I've gotten decent blamblamblam poses without much trouble.

Priss is decently posable, except for her completely limited shoulder joints. That is, completely limited while being double-balljointed. Yeah. o_O  She does, however, ride the bike mode rather well! This was nice to see- I find it's rare to easily get a good bikin' pose on toys like this. She also comes with a few extra hands and a weapon arm, but the lack of an unmasked head is a bigtime shame.

The real kicker for me where I do dock serious marks is the way Priss wears the Motoslave. Now, again, it almost does it passably well. But the true ludicrous moment comes when you realize the differences between the shoulders and the knees.

See, you need to remove the double-ball from the two shoulder sockets, and plug in one with a slightly longer stem between the two balls, so her hands can reach the Motoslave's forearms. I can dig that. Okay.

But her knees also need such an extension, and what do the instructions tell you to do?

Pull out the pegs on her knee joint, but only kinda.

These pegs have no notches whatsoever, so this part is REALLY irritating. More often than not, her shins simply fall off, which looks rather embarassing. Why Yamato chose not to include a second set of kneejoints with stoppers on them to elongate Priss' legs, I cannot tell you (outside of "We just invented this improvement for the repaint!").

It's the fact that you get completely new shoulder joints to plug into the figure WHILE having to halfways-dissassemble the knees that really bothered me. By far the worst aspect of the toy, IMO. Hell, even a peg-and-hole on the shins would have made this less irritating.

Anyway. The stand is really nice, and solid! Not to mention easy to plug/clip the two figures in place. However, the rotating joint on the Motoslave's flying stand...doesn't rotate. It has gear teeth to hold it in place, but if you want to change the angle you have to physically remove the clip and plug it back on at a different angle. I assume this is for the sake of not having the stand flop.

Overall, I...don't feel ripped off. But only just. That said, my knowledge of Bubblegum Crisis lineart and whatnot is rather nonexistant. I just liked the show when I was little and this toy gave me a huge pang of nostalgia, as when I was a young'un I always thought a Motoslave toy would be awesome.

That said, the toy is riddled with niggling irritations that may put you off. Particularly the insane oversight on Priss' kneejoints for the Motoslave combination. For me, it's an enjoyable desktoy that worked REALLY hard to push itself away from being an excellent toy overall.

Plastic masochist?

---

Small epilogue- this is my first Yamato purchase! And a version-1 of one of their designs at that. I feel so fortunate that nothing ripped itself apart during transformation. XD

2. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Too...many...words...imagination...not strong enough...to put mental pictures...to them...

My God man, you know better than to post a review without pics.

3. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    How dare you, insect? How dare you interrupt my ascendance? You are nothing. A wretched bag of flesh... what are you, compared to my magnificence?

<cough>

Anyway. Yeah. The whole almost-there-but-just-said-"fuck-it-leave-it-as-is"-so-close-but-yet-so-far design mentality seems systemic (ha ha!) with Yamato's releases. Ah well.

Someday, maybe, they'll "get it".

5. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I was always iffy about these releases. small scale for that price and to me, the motoslave never looked too HQ in the retailer photos. But in the end, I never picked em up cause they don't have the human heads like the original four did that came out a few years back from Atelier but those older ones used Atelier's 'S-M-S' style and articulation, and the Yamato looks much better than that. If only these Yamatos had the human heads. Best of both worlds. Ah well.

6. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    +5000 points

I am still in...utter disbelief at the oversight on Priss' knee joints. It's such a backhandable screw-up, I almost want to say it was on purpose just to have something notable to add to the next repaint.

I mean they go so far as to include alternate shoulderjoints for that setup, random magnet for one of the pop-off parts during the Motoslave transformation, all these tons of little details...

And then make one of the combination steps "disassemble the toy here, but only kind of".

Graah.

Still, it is a REALLY nice desk toy. For all my complaints, I like it a lot more than I expected, and am getting tempted by the other three. In summation: screw you and your god damned brainwash plastic, Yamato. :cry 

7. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I was going to pick these up but once I found out they don't come with a human head part and it's all hardsuit all the time I decided against it.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Umm, I think you overdid it on my side. I appear to be wielding The Force whilst simultaneously channeling the One Power, humming a merry Wishsong, and for some reason, I am also wearing the One Ring now.

Yeah, I don't know all that much about Bubblegum Crisis beyond the absolute basic stuff, but Priss really needs a couple of human heads. A neutral one and a "I'm gonna kill you!" angry one.

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine finally showed up today, and I'm definitely un-impressed, as well as glad that I canceled my pre-orders for the other 3.

The knee joint irritates me. Yamato knows better than that.They included extra joints for the shoulders, why not the knees? I seriously spent at least 5 minutes trying to dock priss into the motorslave, with the only real issue being the knees.

"oops, too long. damn, pushed it too far. cool got one leg sitting on the stand right, now the other... crap bumped the first one" etc etc.

The motorslave itself is decent quality. Pretty solid as a bike, a bit fiddly when transformed, but that's expected. HOWEVER, the shoulder joints and overly tight neck joints during transformation(bike to bot or vice versa) make it totally frustrating. But, it could have used some extra paint somewhere for some detail.

Considering the fact that the other 3 figures come with the same motorslave, except a different color, and I can't justify buying the whole set. If I could get the other 3 figures without the motorslaves, I'd consider it if it wasn't for the crappy knee joints.

At least one alternate head would have been nice, but it looks like we got shorted in that regard too(I'd have figured it was about mandatory for them to do this, she had her helmet off a lot while wearing the suit, looks better without the rabbit ears on the helmet too).

I like my valks, have been considering picking up a megazone 23 bike since those are pretty nice, but this is pretty damn lackluster and not what I expected of Yamato. In the end, this thing is gonna find it's way back into it's box and in the closet somewhere. Which sucks, since I'm a bgc fan.

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Eh, I'll wait until they release the Tokyo 2040 version of the Motoslave.

11. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
  12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never heard of it before, but it looks neato.

13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Very nice indeed. How much is that piece running at?

14. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This this this

That said, I pulled mine off the shelf after a month or so of inactivity and...well, I'd say the toy is worth it for the bike. Priss is a flawed-but-passable figure, and really you're paying for a transforming Motoslave. It does that well, with two very nice forms, and some partsforming that honestly isn't all that bad given how solid the final connections are either way.

Also, one way to work with the Priss knees is just leave 'em fully assembled and hanging there. Or extend them out a little bit, and hold eeeeverything together a little tightly when posing.

Definitely not going past the one I already own, especially since the other three may also get metallic paintjobs (I assume).

15. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
  16. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Depends on your perspective. Good price compared to other places selling it? It's alright, LAF Toys has the other girls for cheaper if you just wanted any ol' motoslave/hardsuit combo, but if you wanted priss it's a decent price.

Good price for the toy itself? I wouldn't say so, but that's just me. I've gotten fairly soured on Yamato's overpriced stuff lately.

17. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Finally opened mine. Played around with Sylia, Nene and Linna I didn't bother so much with since the motorcycles are the same. (My Priss is on backorder or something.)

You had better luck with that than I did. Getting those hands on the bike handgrips are difficult, at least with Sylia. They all have different hands.

Frak yes.

I couldn't get the join out of her shoulder with my fingers and didn't feel like running for pliers, so I just left in the short one.
    I also didn't bother pulling the knees out. She still went into the motoslave okay, though maybe I cut down on the range of motion a little, I don't know.

Whether in or out of those motoslave though, her damn arms kept coming apart above the elbows. See, the elbow is a revoltech-esque joint, and it plugs straight through the piece for her upper arm and into the shoulder piece, which means there's only 2 or 3 mm of peg keeping it in that shoulder. Turns out it's not enough. Ultimately the entire toy is good for posing but bad for actually playing with, which, well, I guess is okay but it's far from ideal. Especially since I bought four of them.

But, you know, Transforming Motoslave! That's right up there with the transforming Escaflowne from a couple years back as "Oh crap they made a toy of it, here take my money!"

18. ZeonikFreak

ZeonikFreak Genom's Finest...

Im getting Priss Motoslave from HLJ soon. Ive been looking forward to this since i heard about it last spring.

According to what im seeing, i could just swap out the Yamato Priss with the Altier Sai Priss i got when they first came out a couple of years back.

Ah, i still cant wait...

19. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I dunno, that motoslave just pales in comparison with the 2040 one. They release that, and it looks amazing, they get my money.

20. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    The Altier Sai Priss is a fair bit bigger than the Yamato one. The Yamato Priss (while standing) only comes up to about the hips on the Altier Sai figures - so I think it will be too big for the Yamato Motoslave. :(