yamato vf-1s--a sweet figure?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I just saw that bbts has preorders in for a re-release of the 1/60 vf-1s with all of the armor for $155. is this an awesome figure, especially for someone who doesn't have any macross figures, but thinks the skull leader is the sweetest deco of them all? I was thinking that if I like this one, that I might eventually justify getting the vf-0s as well.

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    It shouldn't be a reissue. Yamato is redesigning the 1/60 from the ground up with a perfect transformation, etc..etc..

If what they have listed IS a reissue, don't buy it, for the exact reason I just stated. Yamato is making a better one.

That said, I think Yamato is out of their mind demanding that kind of price for the new 1/60 considering how much smaller it is than the rest of their pieces.

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure BBTS misspoke about it being a reissue.

4. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's a new mold. Look at the shape of the nose.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    What the fuck?>! $155? Damn the economy must be going bad, if its going for that much. I'm not sure if its that, or Joel doing high markup, but from what I understand, the msrp is close to the $130's range.

6. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yeah, Yamato's prices are getting more and more expensive. I had read earlier that this figure was supposed to be priced under $100, now look. Ridiculous. You can get a larger 1/48 VF-1 for LESS than that. Of course, some of that is BBTS mark up. Guess with no local toys to scalp, they have to make profits elsewhere.

7. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

Yeah a 1/48 VF-1 is far superior at that price. I think I paid $130 for my 1/48 VF-1S by comparison.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I'm curious to see the actual yen price before I accuse Yamato of robbing our wallets. From what I heard over at Macross World, the bundle with Strike and Super armor will cost about $130.

9. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    The 1/60 is a bit Meh for me. After spoiling myself with the 1/48, they are the way to go.

10. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

My SV-51 Nora is on the way.

Roy's VF-0S will finally have a playmate.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I have 4 1/48 VF-1s and even I can clearly see the definite improvements that this new 1/60 has over the 1/48. If all you want is a larger VF-1 than sure, go for the 1/48. But without a doubt, the 1/60 is just improved all around.

12. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so for someone like me who doesn't really know anything about these, what are the improvements that this one has, both over the v1 1/60 and the 1/48? pics would be great, too, if you know where they are.

14. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. But for a company that has trouble getting a mold to not snap in your hands until a third revision, I will not be picking this up at this ridiculous price. I do like Yamato Valks, I have several and have a 1/60 YF-21 on the way. Their later releases have been better. But even with slight mold improvements, that is way too much for that figure. Even the uber fans over at Macross World are surprised at seeing that BBTS pricetag, as we all thought it was going to be much cheaper. There is no change on that mold to justify that hefty a price on a smaller figure.

With that said, I love the mold, and hope to get one one day, as I do not have a Focker VF-1S figure yet. I hope TO GOD that that price is some ridiculous markup that BBTS often does, and that the figure will be commonly available for ~ $30-40 less than that. I would grab one in a heart beat (pending QC reports, of course).

15. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Sorry off topic, but I just got a VF-0S with ghost fighter last night and I opened it up to find a leg broken off. It was broken right at the swing arm is that a comon problem with that mold?

16. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Supposedly the later VF-0S releases like those with the ghost booster had improved QC, but that mold overall is notorious for being fragile and flopsy-mopsy. Is it possible to get a replacement from the retailer? You might even try sending a complaint to Yamato USA. Even though it's not a US released product, they might be able to hook you up with a repair/replacement leg for the cost of shipping at the very least.

As for the improvements over the V1 1/60, a few of them are as follows:
    - Perfect Transformation (the original had you remove the legs and reattach them)
    - Better posability (double jointed arms, etc..)
    - Some other stuff. I dunno. Better sculpting, one would hope.

Improvements over the 1/48:
    - Wont take up as much room on your shelf?
    - Hopefully wont have the backpack piece shatter like glass
    - Double jointed elbows. Woo?
    - Can be made into two-seater variations to sell you more variations once this defective first batch clears the market
    - Don't have to worry about changing your budget because it'll cost you the same amount to get one.

I'm being jaded and cranky to be sure, but every report up until the latest ones had this puppy being priced under $100, and for that price, I can see it as being worth it. Getting up and over that price though, probably with the die cast legs of the original 1/60 being thrown out the window (yamato loooves their plastic nowadays), I just don't see it as being worth it, personally.

That said, I'll still be canvassing ebay and the online haunts for one on the cheap after they come out. I'm weak like that.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh? Yamato is releasing a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1S Roy? Is this confirmed? SMy apologies but I've been out of the loop in terms of Yamato products for quite some time! I got rid of my 1/48 ages ago because I felt it was too fragile.

18. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I have not seen the 1/60 in person, but I reckon it is too small for me, 1/48 all the way man....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yup. Confirmed. They say it's been specifically designed to allow two-seaters, so expect the full slew of S's, J's, A's, and even D's and probably Elintseekers and Ostriches as well.

20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Also, the arms in fighter mode do not hang below the legs, they are hidden better on the new 1/60, so the underside is much more flush. Basically, by looking at it at any angle, the fighter mode gives no indication that it even transforms, unless you look at the head.