Ya know what sucks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

When a 20 minute job turns into a 2 hour one and then u say "screw it" and go inside to worry about it t'row or fix it on your off day.

Car lost a pass frt brake line, it's leaking from a split in the line.

So I go get a brake line, jack it up, pull the tire, clean all the brake fluid up, break all the fittings free and low and behold the damn hard line on the car is seized and wont come off. So after trying everything under the sun and even trying to heat it up and break it free, nothing.

So now I get to cut brake lines and flare them after work t'row or my off day on Wedns...........

Sometimes I hate being a cheap ass and driving beaters for daily/work use, but its hard to beat the no car payment and cheap insurance on them lol

Just got to do some mild repairs and get dirty every now and then.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I've done both, constantly fixing beaters and owning a nice, new car. The latter beats the former if you have the resources, no contest.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Shit happens, but at the end of the day, anything you can do on your own is worth dickin' around with. Worst case is that you fuck it up even more, in which case you've learned how not to do it the next time it happens.

4. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats why I don't drive. I'd get to stressed to deal with that crap. With my anxiety people would stay off the rodes.

5. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Glad I'm not the only one. I don't drive either and I don't think I ever will. I often get paranoid as a passenger to begin with. At the same time, I worry if this will hinder my chances of finding a mate in the future. That's my number one fear as a matter of fact.

6. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I actually get a feeling of accomplishment after completing auto repairs.

I do hate dealing with anything related with brakes, though. It's never an extremely difficult job, but something always goes wrong with them that requires more work than initially anticipated. Bad wheel cylinders, toasted roters, drum brakes, master cylinders... I've had to deal with them all before and really detest it.

7. 3.8TransAM

lol

I love cars, I'm perverse like that.

Spun wrenches in dealerships for 10 yrs and made a lot doing it. Gave it up cause the whole industry went to hell and service managers like their pets only anymore so its hard to get a fair shake unless your kneeeling under a desk anymore.

I do my own cylinder head porting, ecm tuning, I've built complete transmissions and engines. I can pretty much do it all if I have access to a machine shop and I'll try anything I haven't done.

But, I like having my money free to have some to put away after the bills are paid and have money for my toys, 89 TTA, 91 Formie, 91 GTA and buying Transformers when I want :lolol 

So I can put up with some repairs every now and then.

I was kinda pissed, but screw it, I can't do anything about it till t'row and I'll have plenty of time to swear at the car then

8. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    My least favorite automotive task is replacing the heater core. I've done it 4 times now one my truck and the last time was the biggest pain in the arse, since the core is now discontinued from GM and the only locally available replacement does not fit. Had drive down to WA state to get one that fit (luckily it's only about 1/2 hour away). And even though I keep swearing I'm never doing it again, it beats paying someone $400 to do it for me.

Anyway, still love cars. Wish I had better place to work on them though.

Btw 3.8TA, love those TTAs. And I know it's only connected via the same powerplant but a GN is high up on my car want list, just under a GMC Typhoon.

9. 3.8TransAM

Heater core directly depends on the car..... Some are 20 minute jobs, some are disassemble entire dash and remove then tear out the bracing and heater/evap core box.....

10. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

This.

11. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

231TA:

It's an enjoyable vice, sometimes infuriating, but one that just keeps pulling you back to it. :) 

Brake lines suck. One of those jobs that's more tedious and annoying than difficult. There has to be a way to invent a flare nut that won't stick to the line. Brakes in general are annoying, if you get into anything beyond slappo pads, slappo discs.

I keep right on doing brakes, though. Addiction, but also, I just can't get them fixed right at the garages or dealers. I don't care if a car's 10 years old, I want the brake pedal to feel like a *brick* and I want the brakes to let *off* when released, not dragggggggg.

This week's happy fun project is a Neon, which lost its water pump and is now waiting for a camshaft to come in. It did snowball a little. The good part is that the parts going back in won't be *entirely* stock. :ev: 

12. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neon? SRT-4?

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Out of extreme curiosity, where would one acquire a beater-type vehicle? I've always fancied trying my hand at restoring an old classic muscle car if I ever got the chance, but do you just get them from classifieds or maybe even junkyards?

14. 3.8TransAM

Unless thats an SRT-4, save your money for a real car and keep it for a mileage beater for daily driver duties. Wish I would have done it way sooner than I did being dead honest.

U modify cars, u never do it expecting money back, but at least do it to something that has some type of value so u can get something back if everything else goes to hell

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'd give just about anything to drive again.
    even the daily hassle of fixing my old 82 Toyota Corona wasn't so bad compared to the freedom it gave me.

16. 3.8TransAM

When I say beater/daily driver I'm talking about my 93 Skylark or the 96 SL2, both are cheap to run and repair along with decent mileage.

If your going after muscle cars, the entry price is climbing for most of the interesting stuff nowadays, although way down from about 5-6 years ago.

U can find lots of good stuff out there 80's GM G body cars or F-bodies(Camaro and Firebird). If Ford is your thing there are always Mustangs and the like as well.

Bout the best bang for the buck out there right now is to find a 6spd LT1 Cam or Birdie, can get nice ones for next to nothing, drive it, beat the shit out of it and when its ragged, sell for another lol

17. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

Keep your eye on Craigslist. My old Sgt. got a 68' mustang that was sitting in a barn for over 30 years. The paint was flawless and it had low mileage. The seller just wanted it out of his barn. Sold it to Sgt. for $3000.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

3.8T:

It's not my car. :)  If it was, though, I'd probably do the same thing. It's a neat little engine in its way; I can't seem to work on anything without falling in love with it a little. :D 

I don't worry too much about resale value. The hacker dividend is what I'm after. I design machines for a living, and playing with these cars helps me be a better designer. I try to figure out what led to a failure, think of how it might have been avoided. As an old engineer said once, always take apart the broken toaster before you throw it out.

The car I drive every day is a '93 Cavalier with about 158000 miles, so it's old, but I treat it fairly well and it treats me fairly well, so I can't really call it a beater. :) 

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My girlfriend has owned a parade of shitty cars that break down ten times a week and she has to fix them. She's pretty good at it actually, but occasionally she'll take something almost completely to bits to fix a problem and then find she can't get that last bit off to do what she needs to.
    Personally I'm crap at fixing cars and I'll just take mine somewhere and get them to do it instead. Also I'll not buy a shitty car that will break down every five minutes. It's great to be able to fix breakdowns yourself but I'd rather spend a little bit extra and not have to deal with getting stranded anywhere or spending my day deep in the guts of a car trying to wrench a part out to replace.

I wish I was rich enough to just throw money at all life's problems. :)