ya know what, looking back at it, bm had a terrible toyline

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bro The Jackal, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

Sure I had alot of the figures but I was a kid & didn't realize most of them sucked. Half of them weren't scaled right/designed properly. I remember the day I got the nightscream figure(my fav character on the show at the time) & on that same night I tried to transform him and his leg broke off. Nevertheless I got him again and the same thing happen so I said the hell with it. Night Slash Cheetor & Blast Punch Optimus Primal are the only figs from that line that I recall being any fun.

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I only bought the vehicons. I thought they turned out excellent. Cool Chrome, decent articulation, Mech Detail, though the transformations abused ball joint movement to get the armor lined up. Probably just the limits of engineering at the time.

Mirage, Strika, Tankor, Tank Drone, Spy Streak, Thrust, Jetstorm (deluxe), Obsidian, Blast Charge, and Scavenger are the ones I have. All recommended.

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    For the longest time I didn't know how to transform Geckobot properly.
    When I found out, I was right all along and was disappointed.
    I agree, BM overall was a terrible toyline.
    I bought the massive Jetstorm on clearance (I was 12 or so), and was pissed off how tiny his arms were, and how you could basically do NOTHING with them.

4. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the vehicons that I had and the toys that weren't in the show. I liked Geckobot a lot, and Battle Unicron is an amazing toy with a terrible name. Night Viper is totally great too. And Hammerstrike! basically: the vehicons and the basic maximals.

5. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

the actual show Maximal toys sucked except Black Arachnia. The Vehicons on the other hand (with the exception of Ultra Jetstorm) and the non-show Maximals were very nice. I still use the Vehicons in my toy universe to this day. They make the perfect cannonfodder bad guys.

Out

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The non show characters were pretty cool. And hell, most of the vehicons were decent despite scale issues.

But that maximals were shit. All of em.

And BM is one of my favorite TF cartoons :( 

7. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Blackarachnia and Night Viper (goes great with BW Cohrada!) are the only two I've kept of the 5 I bought. Better for me than, say, Armada.

Overall, yeah, not to so good. I like the cartoon more.

8. AMG

AMG Old School

The BM toyline wasn't all bad, there are some bots I do like. But it was definitely a let down (for me) compared to the Beast Wars toyline.

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Yeah, the series has plenty of potential material for my videos... I just reviewed Blastcharge with plenty more waiting in the wings. It came after Beast Wars that made Hasbro a few boat loads of cash so they figured they could experiment and make really wild designs and concepts like the Beast Riders and Deployers.

10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    You mean Battle Unicorn lol.

I always liked the deluxe Jet Storm. Though disappointed his hip balljoints were so long. They had Mega Cheetor and Rattrap here for only £5. Maybe I should've bought them....

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    It sounds like I'm joking or being sarcastic, but in all honesty, the McDonalds toys were pretty good. They got the looks of all the Maximals right, including a decent Rattrap and Nightwing, that aren't all horribly out of scale to each other and the Tankorr makes a good tank drone next to, uh, the official Tank Drone basic figure as a real Tankorr. Furthermore the small figures look like they're not that badly out of scale when you put them with figures from other lines, given how small the Maximals were. BM McDonalds Primal looks apt next to Classics Prime.

In the lines defense, it did produce some nice toys, Blast Punch Optimus Primal and Sonic Attack Jet while also getting some nice "screen accurate" figures like the aforementioned Tank Drone. It's also always really hard to not judge a line when many of the figures look nothing like it's associated media. While we know now that the show is driven by the toys, it's still hard to sometimes wonder why the two couldn't be in the same book, let alone on the same page for some of the characters.

However, bottom line, no, the figures weren't very good. (I also wasn't a fan of the show by the end.)

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    yeah, the BM Maximals are some of the ugliest Transformers out there, but I really like the Vehicons. Blackarachnia wasn't bad.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a few too many good toys for me to dismiss BM as a 'terrible' line, but I'll grant it has a lower batting average than many. I'll chalk it up to not enough communication between Has/Tak and Mainframe, for some toy/show disparity at near-G1 levels, and some nutty picking of size classes. (Nightscream and Rattrap get the big toys, while Optimus and Megatron don't? ... srsly?)

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

PP:

No, you're exactly right, these were fantastic for Happy Meal toys! I remember a few people who used the McD Tank Drone in the way you're describing.

I haven't really gone for the BM Maximals. I've got Nightscream and Mega Cheetor, and I haven't thrown them against the wall, but I can't say I'm thrilled with them. On the other hand, I think the Vehicons are great toys, and the Dx Jetstorm mold (I've got U-Skywarp and RiD Jhiaxus) is my favorite tech-jet Transformer ever.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  I was just gonna say, someone has just finished watching the Plastic Addict, Blastcharge review.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Vehicons were often excellent, but I understand people's dislike for the Maximals (even if I don't share it).

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It did seem like a line that could hold potential but they just couldn't seem to get consistently good figures out of the line.

18. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah BM toylike sucked, but it was down to inaccuracies for me. Most of the first wave looked nothing like there onscreen counterparts. They semi recovered but the scale was shot to shit. Really would love to see some of these in the uni line, a voyager Tankor would be awesome

19. Pulverize

Pulverize Predacon

a thing i love about the line are the basics. The others i don'tt care much for.

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    or a new Jetstorm. I loved his head design in the show, and it would be awesome to see that in toy form properly