Xovergen Trailerforce TF-01 Pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Sioce, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Legal stuff first as always. The Trailerforce Masterarmor is not an official product released by Hasbro or Takara-Tomy, thus not legally a Transformers item. It’s a third party upgrade set for Classics Optimus Prime from XOvergen that pays homage to G1 Powermaster Optimus Prime / Masterforce Super Ginrai, but for legal reasons it can’t be called by that name.

Trailer Mode: Much like the Powermaster upgrade of Optimus Prime, the Masterarmor has three different configurations. The first (randomly numbered) is the trailer mode. Now the G1 Powermaster trailer managed to more or less look the part, if you ignored the many, many guns it sported. Once you removed them, the thing actually did look like a truck trailer, at least from the sides and the rear. The Masterarmor trailer, well... let’s just say that even if you removed the guns, not many people would think it to be a run-of-the-mill trailer for a normal truck. It’s a bit like a mixture between a normal trailer and Armada Overload’s vehicle mode.

Not much you can do here, naturally, except having the whole thing be towed by Classics Prime in truck mode. There are some add-on parts included so that the trailer can also be towed by the original Powermaster Prime’s tractor. All the weapons can aim forwards and upwards, though not sideways. So bottom line here: a serviceable trailer mode, but clearly not the main focus of this upgrade kit.

Base Mode: Nine times out of ten a trailer towed by some guy called Optimus Prime will include a base mode of some sort or other. Same here. The trailer unfolds into a kind of battle platform in much the same way as the G1 Powermaster trailer did and the layout is more or less the same, too. You have a kind of base module in the middle, with platforms on each side and out front. All the various weapons can attach here, with the big double-barreled ones once again having a ‘seat’ of sorts where a G1 Nebulon figure can sit (such as Hi-Q / Ginrai).

The truth is I was never a big fan of Powermaster Prime’s base mode. It was just something that came with the toy and I did use it for city-building now and then (there were a lot of Transformers with base modes in G1), but otherwise it held little appeal. Same goes for the Masterarmour’s base mode. It’s something that’s there and it doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t really do much for me, either.

Armor Mode:
    The main reason for getting this upgrade set is, of course, that it serves as a big suit of armor for your Classics Optimus Prime or – alternatively – for the original G1 Powermaster Prime figure (the small one, naturally). Though armor might actually not be the correct word, as the smaller figure (whichever one) does little more than fold up and plug into the chest of the larger one. Once completed, Masterarmor Prime (I made that name up, just so you know) stands eye to eye with Masterpiece Optimus Prime (the first, really big one) and can believably go one on one with Hercules, too. This is just a massive, massive figure and it’s bristling with weapons. Double-barreled guns on the shoulders and forearms, boxy launchers on the legs, plus two giant rifles for his hands.

Despite the size, Masterarmor Prime is far from the boxy brick that Powermaster Prime was. The figure is big, yet lean, and fully articulated to boot. It features a full range of motion including double elbow joints, individual fingers and articulate toes among others. The leg joints are very, very stiff (to the point where I start to sweat in fear of breaking something), while the wrist joints are somewhat loose, but overall everything moves and holds together very well, so no complaints here at all.

While he’s patterned after Powermaster Prime / Super Ginrai, there are also some elements of the upgraded God Ginrai present, which was called Apex Armor for the US release. There are the blue gauntlets on the arms, which include extra cannons, as well as the fact that he has guns on his legs as well. Interestingly the chromed chest plate of God Ginrai actually fits into this figure (see picture), but sadly the rest of the God Bomber parts don’t.

As I mentioned above you can either use Classics Optimus Prime or the original G1 Powermaster Prime figure in combination with this upgrade set, both fit quite well. The only real difference (apart from the look, of course) is that Classics Prime is a bit larger, so he can’t simply flip up his legs and still fit. For him, you need to open up a panel on the back, so his legs can stick out the back. It sounds awkward, but it really isn’t and you barely noticed the legs out back. Oh, and in case you want to stick the original G1 figure in here, you can also use the G1 Powermaster Prime head, if you want.

Finally there are some left-over parts from the trailer mode to deal with, mainly a set of blue panels that actually form much of the outer shell of the trailer. While it is possible to attach the panels to the back of Masterarmor Prime, it doesn’t really look good, so your best bet is to do as the instruction sheet suggest and put it up as a “Gun Garage”. Basically a shed where you can store whatever weapons Prime isn’t using right now, which also has attachment points for storing the parts of Classics Optimus Prime you’re not using. Not the greatest idea on how to deal with leftover parts ever, but fully okay.

So the bottom line: this giant, armored, upgraded Optimus Prime figure is well and truly epic! Great looks, great articulation, armed to the teeth and not prone to falling apart or toppling over, either. What more can a G1 fanatic possibly want?

Remarks: For a long time in my childhood, Powermaster Optimus Prime was THE definitive Optimus toy. While I did own the original Prime figure from 1984, too, I much preferred the vastly larger Powermaster, because he could go one on one with the likes of Galvatron (I never had a Megatron back then). To many German fans Powermaster Prime is actually regarded as the original Optimus toy, simply because by the time the Transformers cartoon and comics finally made it to German screens and stores in 1989, the first Optimus (released here in 1985) was long gone from the shelves. So Powermaster Prime it was, to the point that the German translation of the Transformers comics was adapted to repeatedly call Optimus a Powermaster, despite the fact that he was depicted in the form of his original toy.

Also, ever since Fansproject introduced their City Commander upgrade, I’ve been clamoring for a Powermaster trailer for Classics Optimus Prime. Now I’ve finally got it and if the shadowy outline on the box is to be believed, XOvergen might bring out their version of the Apex Bomber for upgrading this bad boy even further.

Once all is said and done, though, the XOvergen Masterarmor has one big flaw: the price point. At around USD 180, this thing is expensive even for a third party item. So my bottom line here is simply this: if you’re a big fan of Powermaster Optimus Prime / Super Ginrai and really want to upgrade your Classics Optimus this way, then go for it. But if you’re lacking that nostalgia factor, then I’d think twice about dishing out this much money.

Rating: B+

2. XxsnipersnakexX

XxsnipersnakexX the G1 prick

[​IMG]
    Just got mine :D 

I coupled him with my G1 Prime as i dont line Classics Prime leg sticking at the back like some sort of backpack. I applied superglue trick on that leg ball joint and the hand, its as awesome as ever. my only gripe is the extremely poor kibble on the gun that makes him difficult to hold the guns firmly. anyways, awesome figure. he is definitely in line with my masterpieces.

3. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have compared 3 units of this toy, the powermaster big head does not seem stay into the body firmly. To solve this, my friend and I actually have to apply nail polisher on the male button on the bottom of the big head.

Not sure if it is mass production desgin issue or only certain batch having this issue?

Anyhow, I enjoy this toy very much!

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Mine stands proudly on my Masterpiece/Really Expensive Transformers shelf xD

[​IMG]

Love it! I hope they do end up getting around to that God Ginrai type armor they teased

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Given I usually get anything Optimus Prime the day of the release or even before, I can believe it took me 10+ months to finally cave in to get this thing...

6. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Have you gotten it yet or just ordered it? My daughter wants this for Christmas and I would be interested to hear what you think of it. I've heard many mixed reviews.

7. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    It's arriving today. I'm not expecting to be particularly thrilled, but I needed it for my Prime collection.

8. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Got it... Feels really cheap. Thighs feel like they're going to explode when you try to move them... Ball-jointed hands can barely support the weight of the guns... Ankle joints feel loose and soft... The combination is really lame and very amateur-ish... Jamming the cab inside the torso with no real secure connection... Really not worth the price.

9. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

If you are using classics prime he should click in pretty solidly. Do you have the plate (the one you would use if you use g1 prime) slotted in behind the cab? Locks everything in place.

I do have some issues with the design. I feel like it was about 3-5 slight changes from being a fantastic piece. I am a huge PM Prime fan and I feel like it does him justice. For the record the changes I would have recommended would have been....

1 a plate covering the hollow part of the inner shoulders

2 better clearance for the forearm armor and shoulder cannons. 1mm on each piece makes a world of difference.

3 the ball joint bars for the shoulders are about 1-2mm too long. A little too much space between the shoulder and torso. This can be somewhat mitigated by rotating the shoulders front.

4 There is a large blue piece that is unused in bot form that is about 2 hinges and a handle away from being a perfect sized shield.

5 Wrist could have been stiffer. Alone they feel stiff but the guns are long and to hold them with out sagging clear nail polish is needed on the joint.

Still he cast an amazing silhouette. I am glad I got him. But I am a huge fan of Powermaster Prime/ God Ginrai so your happiness may vary.

10. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Nothing clicks at all, unless you forgot to slide the torso halves completely, then jamming the cab in may produce a plastic-rubbing-on-plastic clicking sound. You just put the truck in there, add the plate (it's really just floating there) at the back and then compress the torso halves against the cab, that's it. Sure, it doesn't move around once it's in there, it's just how it's done that I don't like. Too crude.

11. daddytron

Disappointing. I was hoping you would love it and say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Your complaints pretty much mirror everybody else's that I've read. Still kind of on the fence. I'm pretty forgiving.

12. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

13. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

I still have mixed feelings about Trailerforce.

I love Powermaseter Prime. Had it when I was a kid. Was really, really looking forward to this. When I received it...unused parts, a few loose joints, and a QC issue (one of the leg cannons was pretty messed up, missing one post for the joint completely so there wasn't much I could do to fix it until I ordered the addon clips from Shapeways to just hold them in place) are some major disappointments in a design that otherwise is great.

I'm happy I have it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. Unless it went on clearance. Which is also the only reason I'm not all over that black repaint, because black Primes are awesome, and giant black Primes with a bunch of guns are even better.

14. daddytron

Now that my daughter and I have one, I regretfully have to conclude that this is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Pleasantly surprised by how much I like the trailer mode. Unpleasantly surprised at what a pain in the ass it is to get it into that mode...particularly the blue wrap around piece which is gut wrenchingly scary to get on. Also a big middle finger to the "instructions" which are without a doubt the most useless non informative instructions ever.

Also not thrilled with the way he cannot hold his guns to save his life. Maybe tightening the wrist ball joints will help. But the peg nubs on the rifles (which otherwise look great) are useless. Really a shame because he looks like a million bucks when combined. But he can't hold his guns, tends to topple over, and is scary to transform.

One final iteration of spit and polish would have done wonders for this guy. Might even have propelled him past City Commander and Protector.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sad to hear especially since encline et steed there's no qc improvements to the black version

16. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Which is untrue according to Ben's video review, he said the wrists are stronger he holds his guns just fine and the hip and knee joints aren't insanely tight.

17. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, different figures then.

18. daddytron

My biggest gripe by far with the set is that the blue wraparound piece for trailer mode is beyond hard to get pegged in on all sides. Does anybody habpve any advice or tricks they use to accomplish this?

Encline did a very thorough review but unfortunately did not show the transformation to trailer mode. Neither did anybody else that I can find on YouTube.

19. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

Dont forget the way that top-torso piece can plug into the top of Classics Prime and plug into the back of the TrailerForce torso now. It's a huge visual improvement to have that topping the torso where the head connects instead of the top of Prime, and it helps hold the torso together in combined mode. It's one of the primary reasons I'm strongly considering the black version, other than a love of black Primes.

20. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I said no mold improvements have been made. Which there haven't been. There are new pieces and some changes. I touch on those in my video review of the TF-01B.