Xovergen Mecha Warfare Grand Patriot (Green edition)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Detroa, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I really like the green version over the Prime one. Shame about the QC though!

2. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    the matrix looks like a Mentos

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'm so glad I don't own one now, I'll never be able to un-see that :lol 

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not intending to be rude but that plastic looks really low quality is it as bad as it appears in the photo.. it looks like KO plastic like something someone bought in General Dollar.

5. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Too bad about the quality, because in pictures it looks good. I also much prefer the green one, put the other head and we have a cool non-Prime Bot!

If you have any Fanproject product, can you put him beside some of them (Springer preferably)?

6. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that's just my pictures, I took them with flash so it appears to be very shiny/brittle. The plastic looks very good in person but it only looks good sadly and is fragile and very prone to stress. :/

What a coincidence, I bought the two figures together and took this picture right of the box. Would it do the trick?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow real nice pix man, together with FP Springer the whole military theme makes them go hand in hand.

Btw Detroa this was a good review, informative & I enjoyed reading it. :thumb 

8. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Perfect! They do go very well together, this green patriot with the alternative head would make a good Wreckers member! But due to the "not excellent" quality, I don't feel like spending that kind of money on this.

9. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    was browsing the resources and ran across this guy: Roughstuff

would make a cool repaint for him I think

10. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had to use your pic and photoshop the head from mine on it to get an idea of what I am going to do to mine...

[​IMG]

Coming from someone who understands what it takes to mass produce a fig, I give these guys props and hope they can bring us some more G.I. JOE crossovers...

11. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, that looks killer, if you ever happen to cast that head and sell it, I'm in for one. :D 

12. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my Xovergen Grand Patriot. Do not buy it now. It'll surely go on clearance. Pick it up for $50 or so with the understanding the quality is three steps below FansProject. Mine came with two left hands, stress marks out of the box. If I hadn't watched encline's video review, I probably would have broken something transforming it.

On the other hand . . . It makes for an excellent base for Starscream's Brigade . . .
    [​IMG]

13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The bland patriot (as we dubbed it earlier today at Nerd day ii) is ok, but moving the legs it sounded like a nice tight ratchet joint, looked at it though and it's a ball joint!!!!

I'll be passing on this I think.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having had a Green Grand Patriot in hand, I'll offer my thoughts:

First impressions:

Grand Patriot is really well-presented, the box artwork is nice and as seems to be the norm now the instructions are in the middle of a comic that introduces the character and his setting.

The vehicle mode is big, almost satisfyingly so. Looking at it, you could be forgiven for thinking you were getting great value for money. However, once you remove it from the styrofoam insert, you'll notice that the plastic quality doesn't feel up to much. To be honest, it didn't feel much better than your typical pound shop/dollar store KO - it seems very soft.

The big shock came when removing the trailer from the insert - it's insanely light! It probably weighs less than your common or garden Scout, and I'm not exagerrating. First impressions are that it shouldn't feel that light, and it only underlined my earlier concerns about the plastic quality.

Concentrating back on the cab section, the cab section doesn't fit together very well - there's a lots of gap, particularly around the sections that make up the arms.

Transformation:

This REALLY isn't for the faint-hearted. In both directions, transforming the front section/upper torso left me terrified I was going to break it (terrified mainly because it wasn't mine!). Getting it back into vehicle mode involves forcing the thighs into the lower legs - there didn't seem to be an easy way of doing it.

The instructions could be better too - they really don't offer much explanation on the rather fiddly backpack/front wheels. This leads me to another concern - the backpack/front wheels. Once you figure out potential transformations, then I wish you the best of luck getting it to stay in place. It's only held in place by a poorly-designed clip that allows it to freely rotate. A little too freely.

The robot mode is arguably the highlight - it feels quite reminiscent of Classics Voyager Prime - it's about the same size, but alas isn't as posable. The hip joints were a source of great concern - among those of us taking a look at the figure, we thought the hips were ratcheted due to the regular crack/click noise when moving the legs. It quickly became apparent that it wasn't a ratchet - the legs are ball-jointed. Ball joints are not supposed to make that noise! I was constantly worried I was going to snap the joints off. I like the guns though! Opening the chest reveals what was dscribed as the Autobot Mentos of Leadership, behind what looks suspiciously like a speaker grille.

Summary - honestly, I can't recommend this. It might be worth picking it up once it goes on clearance, and it'll be rare among big 3rd party items in that I fully expect it to go on clearance.

15. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    :lol  I'm sorry, but you are totally exaggerating.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Apology readily accepted, but that's how it felt to me. I expressed an opinion, rather than putting the trailer and Sunspot, Windcharger, or whoever on scales to measure it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I also held it in my hand and I have to say, it is extraordinarily light. I'd genuinely be very surprised if it was heavier than a scout figure.

18. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Well, I handle it regularly and even without the use of scales I can absolutely guarantee you it's heavier than a scout figure. In any case, yes, it's lightweight.

19. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    I just got mine the other day. I must say I haven't had any of the problems mentioned in this review so far. No stress marks and no problems with the backpack after watching EmGo's video review. I really love this guy so far. I'm glad BBTS finally split up the pair as I was able to grab the green one for $50. I think $50 is just about right for this guy. I don't think it's worth the original price of about $70 ($140 for the pair). It doesn't seem like a cheap KO though. The figure is light because it's hollow at points. The plastic seems good quality to me, but to each his own I suppose.

Attached Files:

20. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    got this guy today (from BBTS after it went on clearance). Wow, pretty cheap quality. Definitely not worth the original price tag. Barely worth the clearance price tag.