Xovergen Mecha Warfare Grand Patriot (Green edition)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Detroa, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi everyone, this is my first review and I'm not a native English speaker so, sorry in advance for:

• Bad pictures
    • Language mistakes
    • Everything I'm missing :p 

So, I fiddled a lot with this guy since I got him and here's everything I have to say about it:

Vehicle mode

First contact with the figure: it looks killer IMO, a simplified version of the Rolling Thunder GI Joe vehicule with very nice colors and detailing. The trailer can obviously be removed, the guns over the cabin can rotate and so can the ion blaster on the side of the trailer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only cons I have with this mode is that nothing holds in place very well. The cabin detach way too easily from the trailer, the arms that can holds the missiles or the ion blasters are super weak and if you ever have the bad idea of moving something, you can be sure everything is going to disassemble, missalign and give you a headache replacing/retransforming everything into place.

Transformation

The transformation is pretty simple as you can see in this video:
    YouTube - Xovergen Mecha Warfare Grand Patriot (Rolling Thunder Optimus Prime) green edition transformation (video speed has been fixed)

...but carries a few problems. First, the plastic quality seems very poor. I didn't notice it at first but after transforming this guy a few times, I started to see stressmarks appearing at various places, some being very weird like in the middle of an arm, where there's no articulations or anything like that. It's like the plastic will stress if you ever slightly bow or pull it. Not a great find actually. :/

Then, some parts of the figures are not well though transformation wise like that whole robot backpack made of the cabin wheels that's supposed to rotate (I didn't get it the first time and thought it was missassembled...) before pluggin into GP's back... Supposed to stay plugged. that upper legs assembly that's on a balljoints leading you to unplug GP's legs almost everytime you want to extend them. Sure you can hold the upper legs while doing it even if it still feels a little off IMO but that's not really that much of a PITA compared to that constantly unplugging backpack.

The transformation of the trailer was so simple I didn't even took a video: you just split it open and tada. You can flip up a few panels if you want, it doesn't really help making it looks good. As much as I like the trailer mode, I really hate the "battle station" one which of top of not looking good adds the same problem the trailer had: flimsy weapons holding arms and not holding well parts.

I had a hard time making it pretending to hold well on those pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robot mode

A nice Voyager sized Prime figure. The articulations are the usual except for a few restrictions: the head can barely rotate due to the balljoint being short, due to the backpack (that will fall as soon as you move the arms) you can't give a full rotation to the arms. There's a waist swivel, rare enough to mention it I think. I don't have problems with the legs like many seems to have but- WILL THAT BACKPACK STAY IN PLACE ONE DAY? Err, sorry. So, the legs are pretty stable and the figure can stand most poses, pretty good balance actually. When you give him his guns, the balance starts to change a little: the guns are pretty heavy.

Yup, I totally forgot to fully extend the legs.
    [​IMG]

One nice touch to this figure is the fact that almost all of its weapons can be exchanged and placed at different places with different configuration.

I HAVE A GUN... No, look lower... Lower... Lower I said.
    [​IMG]

If those weren't so heavy, I would have shot you already.
    [​IMG]

I am Megatron!
    [​IMG]

Jean will be mine Cyclops!
    [​IMG]

You can also reveal a removable Matrix from his chest (I didn't read the comics this comes from but that Matrix actually doesn't look like any Matrix I have seen until now). And finally, you're able to change his head for a slightly different one (which doesn't look like Prime to me) but please, be carefull while doing it since the pin holding the balljointed neck is very fragile, I had to replace mine with a screw.

[​IMG]

To summarize

I do like this figure but it could have been way better. Simply using better materials would have been a great idea. A second version with a sligthly revamped engineering and better plastic quality would definitely push this in the top 3rd party figures list but for now, it's just a not so bad first product from this new group, Xovergen. So in the end, would I recommend it? Maybe. If you like the design as much as I do and you buy TF for displaying mainly, go for it, it looks great in person but if you're looking for a toy to transform or to play with on a regular basis, don't buy this one, you would definitely regret it.

And the backpack unplugged again, nevermind, I don't care about it... No, really, I don't.

*cry*

If you want any specific picture, do not hesitate to ask.

Attached Files:

2. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    thanks for the review. I'm not really feeling this one. Not really liking the robot mode, though the vehicle is quite cool.

3. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for the review and the pics. Will you be able to take pics of the matrix at some point?

4. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Well, it's good to see reviews of this figure surfacing - I really do like the look of it, just a shame about the various faults. Still, for a first figure from Xovergen it seems like a good attempt. The green one is definately the better looking one - just a more natural and unified colour scheme, IMO.

Thanks for the review and pictures :D 

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review! I kind of wish they would have released only one variant of the Rolling Thunder Prime first, got feedback from fans and then improved on the design on the second one (like Knight Morpher Commander.) It definitely looks cool, and better than I expected, but the quality control worries me on such an expensive toy.

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. Looks like I'm going to pass on this one.

Also, I swear I would've never guessed that you're not a native English speaker. That review was very well done.

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Good review, I still like encline's better....

8. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you pushing in the backback all the way like the pictures on their site show?

Anyway, thanks to giving a great overview of the figure. I appreciate it. I've sworn off the red one due to the milky plastic in the back, but the green one doesn't look so bad. Just not $90 temping if it doesn't hold together like you have said.

Oh and can a mod merge the topic in the toy discussion thread with this one here?

9. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gonna split a set for the green one with someone, probablyt not the best use of my money but I don't think I'm gonna regret it.

I plan on using him as a backup for my FP combaticons and ultra-sized Onslaught drones They need a base.

10. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for my two.... anyway great photos and review, thanks very much !!

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks you saved me $100 bucks

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Too bad about all the QC.

I'm really curious to see the matrix! Please post a pic when you get a chance.

Also, your english and photos are fine man! :thumb 

13. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent review Detroa. Thank you. I wish that the quality of the figure had turned out better, especially when you consider the price. But, it will still look good on display.

14. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I updated with the missing pics of the Matrix and alternative head. :) 

Trying to fix the video speed atm.

EDIT: video speed fixed. :) 

15. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    thanks for the review, you confirmed all my fears... :banghead: 

16. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review.

I think I'll wait it out a bit...

Lets see what they do next...

Black repaint? Megatron repaint? Ha!

17. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    I love the alt mode on this..but im sure once the reviews get out this offering will probably get put on clearance then i may snag him and maybe even both colors..nice review man..

18. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

so glad i ordered and got these two...mines on the way:popcorn 

i never transform my bots anyway..and if i want 1 in vehicle mode i buy another or multi's....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Never thought I would say this, but the green version looks better than the Prime version!

20. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

A fine review Detroa, thanks! :thumb