Xovergen Grand Patriot Red & White

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by shinobi77, Jan 14, 2011.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    This could have been ssssso much better. I don't know if it's just me but IMO this just looks cheaply made. & the manufacturer wants $80 or so for it? I don't think so... *shakes head*

2. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Added some pictures Dave Tree from allthecoolstuff.co.uk has kindly taken of the Green version doubling up as a base for Action Force figures :)  they are on page 1

3. Tree-Bot

Tree-Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally this has grown on me and I really quite like it.

I think people are judging this at the same level as mass produced Hasbro products, which think is little unfair, especially given this is the first product by Xovergen and you think of the design, engineering and manufacturing resources that Hasbro/ Tomy Takara have.

I would compare this to a Bosou Shinki rather than a transformer. Bosou Shinki's look like action figures, but they are more display pieces than a toy. Same can be considered here, it's not going to be rolled around a carpet floor by those who buy one, it will most likely be displayed. With that in mind, it makes a good display piece with a whole heap of options and alternatives. As a Joe fan, it works nicely with the Joes and feel this has been more aimed at the TF community, although a lot of the features lend themselves more to the Joe fans.
    There are a lot of nice touches and features, like the twin shot Prime blasters giving a nice contrast colours on the barrel etc.
    Granted it's not for everyone, but makes a very nice compliment to a collection.

Dave

4. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Exactly. It seems hard for people to draw a distinction between the two. Then again, when I was posing mine and transforming it last night I realized that the plastic quality, paint applications and overall "feel" isn't really much different from any recent TF deluxe toy. That's more of a compliment to Xovergen than it is to Hasbro. ;) 

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Given the pricetag, I think it's fair if they are judging it however they choose, but I think this apologetic reproach to criticism is silly. If you like it, more power to you. I seriously doubt the engineers behind this are hoping for a pitied review stance from people - it's a product for sale, not an amateurs attempt at a custom that has room for improvement based on positive criticism. Mine, and many others I have seen comment, seem to dislike this figure based on the engineering choices of it, not because it's not made by Hasbro/Takara. And if they used cheaper plastics, that's something worth mentioning in a thread reviewing the item too.

Whether it's your first release, or your hundredth, that's generally going to be the standard for any purchase. Glad you guys love the figure, but to suppose a rationale on everyone else who doesn't is weird.

6. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    If this came out as a (NOT) Zeta Prime then I might have had interest. The price, and now serious doubts about its quality has turned me off totally.

7. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    All I've tried to do is offer opinions from the point of view of someone who actually has the thing. Your admonition is puzzling to me.

8. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    the price and the reviews just convince me more not to buy it. Thanks

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got mine in, and I think a lot of the criticisms are extremely justified. However, I'm glad I grabbed it, because it is a unique piece and I think I can play around with it and make it a bit better. My comments:

* Plastic isn't terrible, but everything is so dadgum loose. Especially the missiles, the way everything fits on the extensions, the toes, and the chrome flip out guns are AWFUL.

* Heads sucked. Took the spare head off my black knight morpher and it looks a lot better. Neck is a bit long but I can fix that later.

* Like the transformation, very nice.

* Red is a bit brighter than I would have liked, but the paint apps on mine were pretty spot on, and the blue looks sharp.

It's not for everyone because of the quality issues and price tag, but it's going to be displayed and not played with so I'm glad I grabbed it. If they can work on getting parts to fit better, the design aspect was very cool. Would like to see them continue and maybe figure out the flaws and come back with something on par with MMC.

10. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Oooh, I was wondering what to do with my spare KMA head. Are there any modifications needed to fit it onto GP?

11. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    You will need a small screw, and I need to figure a way to trim the KM neck down because it's too tall. but it still is a massive improvement. You just pop the plastic ball off the pin, then screw from underneath onto KM's head. I would suggest screwing it in first before you put it on the GP, then unscrewing and attaching to GP's neck. It's a tight fight, which is good. I wanted to find a ball joint I could attach to the GP neck then put the KM head directly on it, but I didn't have one that matched.

12. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Awesome, I'm going to try that. I don't think the GP heads are awful (well, the one with painted eyes kind of is) but I don't think they're that great either. The Knight Morpher head is far better though - it's actually one of my favorite 'Prime' heads.

13. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

With the KM head. See how the neck is a little bit long? That is what I need to address. Otherwise, much better. sorry for the poor pic, took with my iphone. Hope that helps.

14. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a video coming of how to transfom this guy properly and the good, and not so good... I will have it up on my youtube channel soon...I am a little biased because ROLLING THUNDER PRIME is one of my favorite designs by Don Figueroa, and the concept has always been appealing to me.

I have been reading many many thoughts on this guy.. I was a little on the fence when I first saw the pics a while back. I felt the Torso was too long, the thighs to short, and the heads were not very appealing, and was concerned about the quality of the plastic.

I have this guy in hand, and yeah, I really like it.. now, I am also a guy who really likes Knight Morpher Commander( choo choo Prime), and I like Faith Leader for what it is(although, the price on that guy is bit much)...and pretty much everything FP has done, other than the Rodimus upgrade.

[​IMG]

I am also looking at it for what it is, a piece for adult collectors, and feel that this piece should only be compared to the 3rd party pieces in my collection.

My BIGGEST issue with this set, is the instructions, or lack there of. They are not very detailed. It does not even describe that the wheels rotate 3 clicks and then collapse together to get the wheels to snap into place on the back..I also feel the white stands out a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When transforming the legs back into R.T. mode, pressure needs to be applied to the back of the knee to help dislocate the piece holding it in place.

Also when transforming the torso, it is better to pull up just a little to help with the tension placed on the joint/plastic.

My initial concerns were shot down once I had this guy in hand. The torso looks much better in person. The thighs look fine when transformed properly. Yet, the heads are still the weakest visual point.

[​IMG]

The plastic on this guy is the same ABS as knight morpher, and FP City Commander. Other than the joints. I did a little test and gave Faith Leader and R.T. Prime to a friend who does not know anything about toys, and they agreed with me that R.T. feels more solid and heavier than Faith Leader, even though it is a larger toy. I have no stress marks on any of the figure, yet, I never tried to force anything with out looking it over and working out in my mind the best way to transform it.

The lack of paint apps I feel take away from the design. Also, no ratchet joints on the knees could be a weakness for some. The ball joints hips do squeak, but that is just bound to happen with the type of plastic used.

[​IMG]
    So my final thoughts: I really like it. I admire the fact that these guys invested so much into a huge piece as a mass released figure.....

I think most guys, who are Prime, and JOE fans will like this figure. The fact that the base can be used with Joes is cool.

I am glad to have one of these. I think for what comes in the box, the price range is better than what comes with other 3rd party pieces I have spent more money on...

Hate it, love it, it is up to you....but if you can get a chance to see this guy in person, it may change your mind... It makes a cool display piece, and is fun to mess around with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  15. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Still quite tempting, but I'm not sure.

16. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if anyone had noticed it, but they sell these individually now, and the green version is down to $49.99 at bbts (red one still like $90). I just snagged one. I didn't want to invest $180 in these toys, but for $50, I thought it was worth exploring.

17. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I did the same yesterday. I'm still not sure which deco I prefer, but for $50 (the cheapest of any 3rd party product close to this size), I bit the bullet.

Not before checking this thread first though ... I needed to read about the QC problems people were finding in their Grand Patriots before shipping the Pile of Loot. :D 

-airfox

18. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the QC issues scared me a bit, but for $50, I figured it was worth it (like you said, its a huge third party item for a low price). Can't wait to try mine out.

19. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

I saw that a couple of weeks ago, but I'm holding out for the Red/Blue one to be marked down more.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I wonder if there's some way to get a Junkion Blacksmith Optimus head stuck on it - the green one might suit that Headrobots Cobra headmaster too? Possibly with a shapeways conversion kit.

And if his trailer looks good with something like Classics Legends (like Rodimus or Cosmos) and if because they are also 3.75" tall like Gi Joe a Cyberverse Commander figure.