Minor/Repaint: Xeno's "movie-accurate repaint" project

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Xenomrph, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I'll say it up front - I've got no pictures to show you folks (yet). I don't have a camera worth a damn, nor do I really have the money to buy one.
    However, my sister is a photography student with a lot of super-expensive cameras I don't know how to use, and she's coming to visit sometime soon, so she'll take some pictures for me.

The principle for my project is simple: repaint the movie toys and make them as accurate to the movie CGI models as possible. With a handful of minor exceptions, I'm not resculpting the toys at all, but all of them are getting extensive repaints. I'd started working on this little project of mine after I got Leader-class Megatron and said, "Goddamn is his paint job ugly," and saw some really awesome repaints floating around on eBay.
    Now, I've got mediocre painting skills, craft supplies I bought at Michaels (except for a few things), and basic knowledge about painting stuff after making a very expensive army in Warhammer 40,000. I also kinda get "the shakes" when painting super-small details, which works against me.
    I know for a fact that the quality of my work isn't really anywhere close to other stuff I've seen on eBay or on these forums, but I've got one thing going for me: a really good eye for detail, and over 200 files of source images, taking up over 60MB of space.

To date, I've done extremely-movie-accurate repaints for Leader-class Optimus, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, Scorponok, and Barricade. Of course, there are some differences between the repaints and the actual CGI models, given the limitations of the toy sculpts, but other than that I've gone to ridiculous lengths to make these as accurate as I can, up to and including things like the correct angles on the screw heads on Ironhide's knuckles, the correct colors for the rescue gear racks on Ratchet, and the correct number of eyes for Barricade.

However, I've reached some problems, and I figured this was a good place to post and ask for help - I haven't really found any good-quality images of Brawl (Devastator, whatever) and Bonecrusher in robot-mode. I've got concept art for them, but it's not exactly high-detail, and even then I'm not entirely sure how accurate to the final movie versions they are.

Anyone got any thoughts or help they can offer? Thanks in advance! :) 

2. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    3 hours and 60 views later, and no replies. Let's not all speak up at once, folks. :poke 

3. Bluestreak420

Bluestreak420 BS42O Prod. Inc.

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :D I will speak up. We all think you are a liar.
    I KID I KID!! I found a couple, which I am sure you have in the movie thread about high res pictures. I used the one of brawl to repaint him. I don't get it, brawl and bonecrusher had some realy cool parts, and they get no love. I for one can't wait to see yous. Everybody else is waiting I'm sure. Are you doing these for ebay only, or for your collection?

5. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat you are, as I can fairly safely say is everyone else. the only images out there, are the few concept art, and screen cap images in the gallery. That's just all there is out there right now for those two guys. :eek: 

off request a little bit, but one thing that really has helped me as I work on my improvements is the poster set from walmart. It doesn't show bonecrusher or brawl, but for the others it's a good helper. They are pretty much the same images you can get from around the web, but you can actually hold them up and see them in detail in person. For me at least it helps, and it's not a bad investment for 10 bucks.

hope that helps some.

6. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    They're for my collection at the moment. However, I'm really happy with how my Scorponok came out (and believe me, painting the gold patterning on his tail was a pain in the ass, since the toy's sculpt doesn't quite line up with the CGI model's design), so I might end up buying another one to repaint and sell.

Which thread about hi-res movie pictures? I'm pretty new to these forums, and I've mainly stuck to the Kitbashing forum, and the ToyArk section.

I haven't seen the poster set from Wal-Mart, but I have seen the Transformers Movie Guide, which unfortunately isn't very good. It's got the same images I've been able to find online, and it's missing a bunch of characters (including IRONHIDE, Bonecrusher, Brawl, and STARSCREAM. That's right, Scorponok gets a multi-page spread, and Ironhide and Starscream aren't in the book at all).

7. encline

News Credits:
  8. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Awesome, thanks! :) 

Edit-- the Bonecrusher pics are new to me, but the Brawl one is one I already had from the Proctor concept art stuff. Thanks again, though. :) 

9. encline

News Credits:
    That will be $5.00 via paypal. Or some photos:p . HAHAH, I have been trying to figure out when to use the licking lips face. But for real, no problem bro. If you get a chance, you can check out the two primes I did here http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=148369

10. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Well, I needed to touch up some paint on my movie-accurate Ratchet repaint, because I realized I'd mis-painted part of his face.
    So I go to Michaels, fully expecting that I'll need to buy 4 different bottles of paint and mix them up to color-match the neon green I needed to paint, or something stupid like that.

Nope, Michaels had the exact color of green, bottled. It's "Citron Green", by Americana. I'd popped Ratchet's axe off and brought it in to Michaels with me so I could get an employee to help me color-match it, and even he was pretty blown away that they had the exact same color.