Xbox360 overheat issues?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm asking about this because a friends brothers 360 has exploded... twice now. which means he's on his third right now. And by explode I mean bang, lots of red indicators (whatever they mean) and the inside charred out.

The first time he ran it on carpet and in a tight bookshelf, so obviously it overheated on a long session. The second time he treated it like gold, it was put in the middle of a room, stacked up so there was bottom clearance and plenty of side clearance, but it still blew up. However, the second time it blew up it did so pretty much straight away after turning it on.

So. Thoughts? Opinions? My 360 chucks out disturbingly hot air out of the back, and it worries me. I have to DEFINITLY do the warrenty tomorrow just in case. I've also ordered a base thing which has two built in fans, which shoot more air through the base of the 360 to cool it down better... I'm quite paranoid about this thing overheating.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3296477/Freezer_360_External_Cooling_Fan_for_Xbox_360/Product.html

While I'm on the subject whats overheating like on the PS3? I know it was conking out at TGS (I think) because of overheating, but what is it like now that some folk have had it a few months?

2. MrBigFeathas

MrBigFeathas My rocket pack?!?

Did he have it plugged into a surge protector? Or straight into the wall? Sounds like something is wrong with his 360 if it wasn't a power surge.

3. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well thats just it, I reckon the 2nd 'explosion' was a fault in the 360, not necessarily due to overheat... but even so, the hot air being pumped out the back is a real worry for me.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Hot air coming out of system = hot air not staying in system = cooling. If you had cold air coming out, or no air, then you might have a problem, but the air coming out is supposed to be hot, that's why it's being sent out in the first place.

And how does your friend no the insides are all burnt since that would void any warranty he had? I've never heard anything about them exploding, just dying and having the 3 red lights.

5. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    After taking his into the shop, they opened it up in front of him, assessed the damage and arranged new 360's for him. But due to policy they refuse to actually say why the 360 failed in the first place.

And yeah, the hot air shows its cooling down the insides, but currently the air being expelled is HOT. If my PC was that hot I'd install more fans to increase the air flow so the overall temperature would lower.

My major concern is that the 360 won't cope on a hot day in summer, and then POW! Red Ring of death.

Isn't anyone else concerned about their 360's and the inordinate amount of heat they churn out?

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lack of circulating air is probably what killed the first one, as for the second one i would guess he was just plain unlucky or got a poorly reconditioned console.

The 360 does run Hot, but you'd need to push it pretty hard for an extended period
    in order for it to develop any actual overheating related faults. 3 or 4 hours at a time shouldn't cause it any problems. Unless it's a freakishly hot day, the weather isn't too likely to cause any problems.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

HELLO!

Be sensible, both PS3 and 360 need to be in places where air can flow around it. No cabinets, no carpets, keep it away from the power bricks.

Good day!

8. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Doesn't the 360 have a built in surge protector. Could be wrong but I thought I read it somewhere that you should plug it in directly to the wall and not a surge protector. Only reason I say this because it was just odd to read that, cause I my entire home theater plugged into a surge protector.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

nearly everyone i know with a 360 has had it die - my first one did the day i bought it, i suspect that this may be why ms are releasing this new 360 with hdmi and the bigger hdd., maybe they've fixed the problem or are trying to with the new version.

but yeah, the cooling fan is probably a good idea if you're worried about it.

10. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Haven't had a problem with my 360 in the short time I've had it.

I use it to heat my living room.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Contraptions that people add to the machine to try and make it "Cooler" only make things worse. Stand it on its end, like you should and give it some space, i.e off the floor but with a clearing behind it and it will run fine.

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    They are re-releasing it with different chips and all new geeky stuff I know nothing about in the 4th Quarter of the year, which is supposed to run quieter and cooler.

13. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

The X-Box 360 we have at work has been running for at least 6 months continuously. I dont remember the last time it was actually turned off. So far we've had no problems with it

14. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I have mine on my entertainment center with about 5-6" of clearance on all sides. It runs hot, especially if I've been playing games or DVDs all day, but I've not had any problems out of it.