Xbox360 HDVD player

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl2000, May 7, 2007.

1. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So I need to know, people that have this, what are your thoughts on it? I have the 360 Pro system and just purchased a Samsung DLP set and I was thinking this might be an inexpensive way of upgrading to HDDVD but I wanted to get thoughts from the people here who have it first.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't own the 360 HDDVD player, but have had the chance watched King Kong on it. It looked really nice. I also saw Superman being played on the 360 HDDVD at Circuit City. It also looked really nice. However, most reviews seem to indicate it's a good, but not great, HDDVD player.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There is a really strong rumor that the price is supposed to drop to $129 by the end of the summer.

I plan on buying it then. Personally, I don't have it yet.
    There are some pretty good reviews for it on the forums on Xbox.com.

4. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

If there is a Sams club in your area check there. Supposably the drive is only $73.00 there.

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

I've heard it's horrible and that you're better off just getting a standalone player.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Not trying to argue, but it would have to be pretty bad for you to just get a standalone player. The prices have come way down, but they are still between $400 -and $500. Retail is currently half that, a $70 price drop is right around the corner, and if that post about Sam's is right, it's a steal.

Again, I say this is not an argument, because I don't have a case to make for or against it. I don't have it -I don't know. But most of what I read is favorable.

I can say that I had occasion to work on a high end media PC with an HD-DVD player and a Blu-ray player in it and the HD-DVD movies started almost instantaneously. Blu-ray had a noticeable lag. The menu interface on HD-DVD is pretty slick, too.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really up to date on HD stuff, so bear with me:

What makes an HD DVD player good/great/bad?

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Sounds like me. Except what I've read and heard from friends has been pretty negative.

I'll see if I can dig up a few links later.

Just a note, if price is your only motivating factor, irrespective of quality, features, etc., then yes, definitely the add on player is the way to go.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The most obvious reason is the picture quality.
    The storage size of the medium enables HD video playback.
    You could probably only get about 30 miutes of HD video playback on a standard DVD.
    It also enables several 5.1 or even 7.1 audio tracks.

HD-DVD content is enormous as far as raw data is concerned. My DVR can record 120 hours of regular TV or just 12 hours of HDTV.

Plus, all the storage space lets the studios put the special features and all that on one disc. (This is more true of Bluray than HD-DVD -it has more storage space.)

If you don't have an HDTV though, I wouldn't bother.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have an HDTV and didn't bother. I use and fully recommend an upconverting DVD player. It helps to make your DVD's look even better on an HDTV than a standard progressive scan player. Plus the upconverting DVD players go for under $100 now, many being under $80. And no matter what you do, do some research and find a cheap HDMI cable. You shouldn't have to pay more than $15 - $20 for one.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, I meant the hardware (player). :lol 

Thanks though, this is good to know too. :) 

12. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The $73 as Sam's is very store dependant. My local store still has it for $150 (which it has been for a few months now) while the other doesn't have any nore any of the games listed for super cheap clearance over at CaG.

The 360 will up convert DVDs but it has to be through HDMI or VGA. As far as I've heard its going to be about the same as any other HD DVD player. I'm sure you can get a stand alone unit with more bells and whistles but the 360 drive is cheaper and most units still have King Kong included as well as the Universal Media Remote which is a must if you use your 360 for vide playback.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had the HD-DVD drive and enjoyed it. However, I returned it after I purchased my PS3. After seeing the quality of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, I made the decision that Blu-ray, for me, was the better option. But if you can get one at Sam's for $73, I'd say it's totally worth it.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Oh, well in that case, I suppose it would be drive speed, video display, and supported audio outputs.

The 360's player seems to be on the mark on all of that -last time I checked.

7.1 audio is not there -but it could come in an update.
    1080p used to not be there, but it became available in one of the updates.

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Considering up to this point HD-DVD has by far had the better quality, how did you make that decision?

Not that it's necessarily the wrong decision considering the exclusives Blu-Ray has, but as far as being based on quality, I can't see how Blu-Ray could win that, not at this point in time.

As for my take on the HD-DVD add-on. I like it a lot. Picture quality is great, and certainly much much better than an upconverting DVD player, though it does that too with VGA (and HDMI on the Elite). Main problem is going to be movie selection. Just see what's coming out for it, and what's already out and see if it's worth it to you. But as far as quality, it's exactly what I expected, maybe a little better.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm running DVD's through my 360, and its upsampling them to my TV via my VGA cable, and it does make a hell of a difference when compared to a standard RGB signal.

As to HD-DVD... I'm still looking at the add on drive, but it more expensive over here, £150 I think, which would be around $300.

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My eyes told my brain that Blu-ray looked better on my set up. And I'm not saying that HD-DVD isn't good. I just personally felt BR looked and sounded crisper. FYI: I based my direct comparison on The Last Samurai, MI: III and Superman Returns.

18. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have to say, after my trip to Best buy the other day, I was tempted by the Blue Ray player as the movie selection seems to be better. But a co-worker mentioned to me to hold off as there is a grain of salt rumor going around that Wal-Mart is going to make a big HD DVD push for this christmas season. So for now after I get the TV set up I think I may pick up an upconverting DVD player.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There are currently more movies available on Bluray and it does seem that the market may be shifting towards Bluray, but I think the numbers are inflated for a couple of reasons.

1. Sony is the controlling interest in Bluray. They are also a movie studio. Subsequently they are putting out a lot of movies on Bluray and none on HD-DVD.

2. The Playstation 3 does not have a large software library yet so all those people who bought a PS3 are buying Bluray movies to give their system something to do.
    (They may have bought the movies anyway -this is just conjecture.)

In the end, I think the winning format will be whichever format pr0n decides to support. I am not kidding.

20. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member