XBox question ....

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DeceptiKreep, May 20, 2007.

1. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to get an XBox 360 and currently have the regular one. Do the stores like GameStop or EBGames take this as a trade in towards the 360? If so, any idea how much? I want to trade the old system in along with some games.

I left the original box at my parents house in Indiana, I am now in California. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this goes in Games and Anime.

3. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    This will get moved. But I can answer this for you.

When I traded in my old Xbox for the 360, they gave me 100 bucks trade in. That was when a promotion was going on. Now I've heard that they only give 50 bucks trade in. You may want to wait until they have another promotion like that.

4. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    Thanks Sixshot! So they kinda rip you off huh? I doubt they are going to have another promotion.... not sure how likely that is. But I guess any amount off of the amount is good.

Now, the basic 360 plays all the new games, that is it right? I have to look into this more.

5. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    the core system, for $299, is that even worth it? I mean, do I have to buy other things that come with the more expensive system?

Just a little confused....

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the core system itself is a horrible purchase, because it has no way of letting you save your progress (no hard drive). you'll have to buy a memory unit, and they're pretty damn expensive. you need a hard drive to play original xbox games, and if you download any arcade games from xbox live, expect to fill up a memory unit after a few days.

there's no reason anyone should buy the core system. go for premium or elite.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Does anyone still buy the Core? I know some people are tight or poor, but buying a version of a console that completely misses the point of its best features seems absurd to me.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The core system has absolutely no way to save games.
    So, you have to buy a memory unit or a hard drive.

The memory unit is $40, so you've really only saved $60 by not buying the premium.
    Go ahead and pay the $60 (you have to spend the $40) and get the premium. The HDD and wireless controllers are worth it.

The 360 is about 90% backwards compatible with xbox 1. Check Xbox.com for the full list of backwards compatible games.

9. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT TRADE IN AT GAMESTOP!!! They completly rip you off. Gamestop is a pawn shop, they give you a dollar for a game and sell it for 15-20. I have been a victim of them before, and seen people lose hundreds of dollars on trade-ins. Use eBay, Craiglists, web forums, anything is better then Gamestop.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hell, you could probably sell the Xbox here if it's in good shape.

11. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Privately selling game systems and games is always better than trading them in unless they offer some massive deal like that $100 trade in.

12. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Where did you get a 90% backwards comapatability? There are about 328 games listed on the backward compatible lists, & Gamespot.com lists about 1163 games available just for the original xbox. Thats a bit more than 28% compatibility. Be SURE to check the list cuz you're favorite games may NOT be compatible.

As for trade in, yeah, Gamestop isn't going to give you much at all...& now that Microsoft itself is no longer making games for it & has thrown it's support to the 360 fully, there is little to no demand for the original system...the best time to trade it in for value was right as the 360 was coming out, people couldn't find the 360 so they were settling for an original..., now that 360 is available everywhere, they aren't going to give you any good trade in amount...

Now because the majority of original games aren't compatible w/ the 360, there may still be some demand for used original systems...but again, not much.

Which to get...I agree w/my fellow board members...don't touch the core system...If you have an HD TV w/HDMI capabilities & plan on downloading tons of movies & TV shows, go with the elite....If you are like me & bought the 360 just to play games & don't have an HD TV yet, the Premium system is just fine ( Actually the premium is also HD ready, it just doesn't have the HDMI support. If you read the gaming sites & mags the difference in quality is so negligible, it doesn't make a difference, basically the Elite is for a cheaper 120 gig hard drive & black case).

13. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    Well, if anyone wants to buy an XBOX, the original version, 2 controllers and 5 games... let me know :D 

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it would probably help to say which games, and make a topic in the junkion exchange.

15. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Justice League Heroes
    Superman Returns

... and some others, cannot recall them

And already did make a thread :D 

16. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

I would recommend getting the Elite since that way you can have the HDMI support and have a huge Hard drive and the better color version of the 360 all for $80 more than the Premium.

17. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    the demand is still high for an original xbox since it can be easily modified to run other media center software, DVD upscaling, and emulators, not to mention the games that still won't work on 360. This isn't the like the gamecube where all functionality is taken up in the wii.

18. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

Ummn, can you tell me how, or rahter point me to a website where I can find out how to get my Xbox to upscale DVDs? I have been trying to do that for a while now, but I could never find out any info on it.