Xbox Live -now with more ads?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'll admit that I haven't updated my console yet and seen the new ads but Microsoft had seriously better lower the price if they are adding advertising to a service that I pay for.
    I can understand Sony doing this because they charge nothing for PSN, but for Microsoft to include advertising in something I pay for anyway -unacceptable.

They don't look too intrusive, but it's the principle of the thing.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

That's absoloutely fucking disgraceful.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i already can't stand the fact that ads are the first thing you are shown when you boot up. take me to my games godammit, and as smasher said, i already pay for xbl, why do they need to advertise?

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    No ads on my dashboard. *shrugs*

EDIT: Saw one. Don't see the big deal. If they get money for putting up a little ad, then fine. They use it to improve XBL.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I have long said that I don't mind paying for Live because it is the best in class service.
    But Sony have recently made huge strides in the quality of PSN and it is still free.

I pay for Live -why do I have to see advertisements?
    The revenue is going to improve Live?
    Let me see it -what is the plan?

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nothing on the UK NXE that I could see.

I had seen film trailers occasionally (Day the Earth Stood Still, the latest Harry Potter) but they didn't really bother me.

However, if there is going to be a constant stream of adverts, then it will probably start annoying.

Just wish I could start my Xbox and go straight to my profile page.

7. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. If PSN can be kept free, then they have an excuse to have the ads in place. XBL is NOT free and we shouldn't have to be forced to see ads, even if they aren't intrusive.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    if it is anything like my experience on 1 Vs 100 all I will ever see is a static ad for the newsletter...

9. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    :lol 

You mean you don't like staring at that ad and the overly-happy avatar on it?

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Except the PSN still doesn't have anywhere near the functionality of Live! or the multiplayer integration with most games. Heck, didn't it *just* get text messaging?

I am by no means promoting advertisements on a pay service, but this isn't news. The only new aspect are the full motion videos that are part of the NXE content. We've had advertisements for a while now on Live!, they are just disguised as contests and promotions.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I get annoyed when the pane I'm on suddely starts making lots of noise, like the trailer for 'The day the Earth stood still'.

You can always navigate away, but it does noticibly slow things down while videos load which narks me a bit. I'm still annoyed about the way games are going (DLC, DL only) because I prefer old fashioned 'in hand' games and these ads are sort of invading my TV.

Or am I being old?

12. smangerbot

nah man, i have the feeling of invasion too. the BBC doesn't have adverts, we pay a tv license. this is just cash grabbing at its most basic level.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    True.
    But I never said that PSN was a free equivalent of Live.
    I said they have made improvements while keeping the service free and without resorting to advertising.
    If anyone's model makes sense to include advertising it's Sony's.

But Microsoft did it first -and they've done it for a service I pay for.
    So, I say "Okay, but how do I benefit from this?"
    I still don't know.

I'm supposed to have a shortcut on my dashboard where I can go to 'Game Library' and launch my recently played games.
    But, the system spends so much time thinking about the ads and other content that I sit there and wait while watching pulsing graphics until a list of my local games is populated.
    Yet, I see no such delay in loading the ads.
    So, I have yet to see any benefit -but I do see a detriment.

By the way, I still haven't updated my dashboard so I may end up going "It's not so bad". :lolol 

14. smangerbot

it i$ bad! $crew it! $crew micro$oft!

to be honest i wouldn't give a shit if the first thing i saw when i turned on my xbox was what disc was in the tray. as it stands, i'm immediately greeted by something related to the marketplace.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think you can still set it to launch whatever is in the tray when you power it on. It's in the system settings.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, "anywhere near" is starting to sound like the people saying "PS3 has no games FTW". I agree that the chatting capabilities aren't as good, but I have jumped in and out of games, gotten invites to online games, checked on movie downloads while in a game, and I have yet to be kicked out of an online game. The only thing I don't have on my PS3 (that I do have on my 360) is the ability to voice chat anywhere, so"Nowhere near," and "didn't it just get text messages?" indicates that you haven't been playing on a PS3 to see the difference, and ads are ads, and when (not if) all the functionalities of the LIVE are on the PS3, will you still defend ads as being justified by the "nowhere near?" I will totally accept ads in the respective stores, but fuck sony or ms putting ads in the interface. That's where my personal gaming takes place, and if I'm already sacrificing a game to pay for live each year, then why saturate me with ads? Websites allow you to bypass ads if you are a paying subscriber.

I played Mass Effect this weekend and some Castle Crashers and I didn't notice anything intrusive, to be honest, but I still can't stand the messy interface with panes and panes of crap I don't care about, just to get to my library of games.

17. smangerbot

yeah i know - but i don't want that either, i just want it to go right to the "my xbox" tab, so i can play whats in the tray, or look at my library of dlc. these are the first things i want to see when i turn on my xbox.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But you can set the Box to launch automatically what you put in it, so it's kinda the same. I do agree about the DLC. I have to tab to my library and then I couldn't find my DOOM game, Doh.. I had it set to recent games... I was like, "just give me my foking list of games, please."

19. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I don't get this complaint. Getting to your library and current game once you log into XBL is as easy as pushing the analog stick up once. I don't see what's so hard about that. *shrugs*

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just saying that I wanted to show my fiance Doom Coop, so I went over to my library and I went through the whole library, and I could not find it, so I thought "Shit I might have deleted it, why would I delete Doom," then I realized it was "My most recent games" which it defaults to.

Panning isn't the issue, because every system with menus has panning, it's just you are assaulted with images from the pane you are currently on and the following ones (with Jones Brothers) that you can't focus. It doesn't affect anything... It's just messy as fok. The text is white and the background it bright, so you can't initially see what you are reading, and all the menus run together. Of course, going through it multiple times, you memorize it, but I don't get on my Box a lot, so getting through that after being away for a while tends to be more daunting than it needs to. And I thought getting to my game was two presses to the right from my avatar? Up takes me to marketplace.