XBOX Live is Retarded.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, Sep 26, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes it is.

Heres the story. I bought Halo 3. I bought a wireless adapter. Whee.

I install it, I sign onto Xbox Live with my existing gamertag, but it says that there is already a gamertag online with that name. Would I like to create a new one?

Uh, ok. So everything goes swimmingly, I even get online and play 2 games of Halo 3, I got pwned the first time around, and kicked ass during the second game.

Then I go to my dash, and I wonder, where has my background gone? Where has my games gone? Where are my achievements?

Ah, its created a totally new profile.

So I can't use my old saved games and achievements with the new profile, I can't import them or anything. All I can do is cancel the old account, and start up again with a renamed (original) profile.

Except the helpdesk guy gives me 2 choices.

1) Cancel the subscription, but no refund.
    2) Start a new XBOX live account with the old profile.

Both are unacceptable, I would have to drop another £40 for 2, or lose £40 on number 1. Retarded.

I finally (after an HOUR ON THE DAMN PHONE) speak to someone who can cancel my subscription, and refund my money (so I can rejoin with the original profile). Hooray.

So I try and sign in with my newly obscurely renamed profile. But because my Hotmail ID is still linked to my old account (which is supposed to have been cancelled) I can't use it.

WTF.

Its like fucking Steam all over again. Piece of cake, IF IT WORKS. Anything goes wrong and BOOM, 'bad command or filename' all over again.

So yes. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if my account is fully removed from their retarded computer system and see if my Microsoft ID works with the old offline profile which should have gone online in the first place.

And you know what, after all this shite and piss the 'help' people have put me through, all this could have been avoided, if when I encountered the duplicate Gamertag, the LIVE service simply asked me if I would want to rename my profile.

But is that option there? Is it fuck. LIVE = shit.

At the moment. Once I get online properly I;m sure it will ALL be different but right now, Pretty much everything>Microsoft.

2. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I had that problem and what I did was:
    Change the name of your gamertag on your 360 NOT XBL
    I merely made it all caps and added a number at the end.
    Once that was done, I joined XBL and voila!
    All achievments, saves, gamerpoints, etc.
    I hope this helps.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate that they have to link your Tag to Hotmail. I know it's cool to be able to use MSN messenger on 360 but I never use it.

Haven't had that problem, but honestly, I hadn't used my tag since I bought the 360 almost 2 years ago, and I wrote all my shit down because I know what having an account with the BORG is like.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I am not sure how you do it, but I know you can link a Live Tag to a different profile. My nephew has had two different temporary tags and he never lost any of his save data, or even ended up with an "extra" profile on the 360.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should've chosen the option to recover gamertag, not create a new one.

6. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:

That would have been the best option but it almost sounds like this was tikgnat's first time on Live so if someone else had already taken the name he couldn't recover it. If that is the case then renaming his tag would have been a lot better.

7. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Why didnt you just hop online and create a quick e-mail?? Would have saved you alot of time and its not like the send you any good promotions.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thats exactly it, I've never been on Live before, and after creating my account, then realising what had happened, anyhting I tried didn't work. If I tried to recover my account, it would just recover the one I just created.

I tried to explain WHY I wanted my offline account as my LIVE account, but the help desk guy didn't understand. I want my achievements. I want my Save games. And most importantly of all, if my 360 fails in any way (which is highly likely, lets be honest) I would want to be able to recover my profile! A separate online profile would prevent me from doing this!

Bah. I ended up creating a new Hotmail account for this anyway.

I can understand having no control over minutia on this side of the 360, I mean, at the end of the day I'm just a user. But from that side you should be able to merge profiles, transfer save games, achievements, all that stuff. The whole LIVE account thing being exclusive to one profile on your 360 (and not to the 360 as a whole) totally reeks of crap.

Is the PS3 like this? I think the Wii, once online, is online, no individual user accounts? Cuz in this case, Microsoft really dropped the ball IMO.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

that sucks man.

10. Turtle Boy

Turtle Boy LORD, of nothing.

i never had that much trouble with live account or the purticular problem, but i did have a problem that was so anoying it made me almost smash my 360. i couldn't connect to live with a wireless adaptor..... i had every thing right, exsept my WEP key, th ekey i was using was wrong, but it was still connecting to my modum. i put in a different number that i had written down, and boom, it now works.... how the hell dose the work?

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Don't feel bad, I had some frustrating ass times with XL in the beginning.
    Was hitting every kind of problem. Soon it'll be a rewarding experience.

Hope it smooths out for ya, and add my gamertag , we need to play, i shoot u

12. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    This is exactly why they allow you to create a silver account for free, so you can have an xbox live tag right out of the box.