XBox Dashboard Beta

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Chrono Grimlock, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Anyone else in? I got the update message tonight. Nothing really of substance to discuss but I noticed it loads faster than the previous dashboard

2. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I got in. It's rather nice, and my custom theme works. I'd like to test out that Netflix option since it was just released here in Canada and I wonder if it will work.

What I don't like in the beta is how certain Avatar items don't work. I just unlocked one in GH:WoR and I can't even see what it looks like.

Edit: It changed my signature Avatar too.. Weird...

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm also disappointed Party chat and private don't seem to work. I've read they work in game but it hasn't worked for me yet.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm in it.

The ESPN app is pretty awesome. There's not a whole lot of NFL/NHL/MLB/NBA content aside from news stories, but the NCAA football selection in impressive. Looks like a good soccer selection as well. They have both live events and On Demand...looks like you can rewatch certain games from the last couple of weeks. Watched part of a DBacks/Giants game last night, the streaming is fast and smooth, it works well.

Netflix is faster and has Search.

Navigating around in general is definitely faster and smoother.

There's a new tab when you go to your profile, in between the menu and your achievements, that shows your MS Points balance and lets you buy more points. I thought that was nice to have, I always thought the interface for buying and checking points was clunky before.

You can now open the tab that shows your completed games, so you can see all the games you've completed all achievements in, not just the most recent ones.

There's more of an emphasis on family settings, it has its own tab and isn't buried in a settings menu now.

They told us up front Party/private chat wouldn't work. You even had to check a box agreeing that you understand you wouldn't be able to use these with people not in the beta. I'm guessing this is due to the improvements they claim to have made to voice communication on this update causing compatibility issues.

As mentioned, Avatar awards aren't working. I assume they have to be tweaked because of the redesigned avatars, but you'd think by this point they would have done that, considering the fall update goes live for everyone in 4-5 weeks. I don't remember them mentioning this as something that wouldn't work (unlike Party chat). But hey, whatever, it's a beta. You expect certain things to not work, that's the purpose of a beta.

I really just poked around in the interface for 5-10 minutes and then watched the baseball game, looking forward to digging in more this weekend.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was going to sign up to this, but losing party chat? I use it way too much to be rid of, even just for a few weeks.

Whats all this about redesigned avatars though?

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I want my N7 shirt damn it.

I love how they redesigned everything except the Facbook app. I never used it but it still uses the "floatey" panes from the old dash.

7. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

They're taller and slimmer, something they had to do to get Kinect to work with Avatars or something.

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    So now if you have Kinect and do a backflip or obscene gestures, will the avatar follow suit? :D 

9. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    any pics of the new dashboard?

10. seven

I exited back to the dashboard after a game of Reach and had another update.

When I went into the Avatar Editor a progress screen came up that it was adjusting my outfits. It ended up failing but my N7 shirt was usable, but no other purchased or award items (except the Halo Hornet prop that worked before) are accessible.

11. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Downloaded the update and was greeted with an Xbox Live tutorial... Some of the clothes I bought for my Avatar work now, but the pet Dragon and none of the Game Awards do.

12. seven

Also, Avatar Comparison. Old on the Left and New on the Right

[​IMG]

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Huh, thats a pretty drastic difference.

14. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking good. nice change there.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, they don't look horrible anymore!

I look forward to this new dashboard.

16. seven

They are taller than the older Avatars, Xbox.com displays them as the same height though.

There are new options for various features (hair, eyes, etc) and clothes. The Gamerpic option is a lot different. You can do it the older way or just pick a setting/angle and background.

17. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Damn. Didn't see the application notice before it was closed.

To those who have this, how is the ESPN 360 application? I'm pretty excited to use it for NBA games this season.

18. seven

Seems pretty awsome, except I'm not a big team/ball sports fan.

Really hoping they add Action Sports to it so I can get some use out of it.

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It's pretty sweet. When you open it you're in a room with avatars milling around, and 3 or 4 live events to click on to jump straight into them. From there you can go into a browse mode and browse by live events, upcoming events, On Demand events, and events by sport/league. You can also set up favorites, so if all you're interested in is, say, NBA, you can aggregate all the NBA stuff into your favorites tab. The streaming starts up surprisingly fast (easily faster than Netflix on 360, as a point of comparison) and was rock solid for me once it started.

A lot of the stuff Xbox Live has added over the years like Facebook and Twitter have left me cold, I'd rather just use those things on my laptop, but the ESPN one I see myself using a TON.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice, I've just gone from loathing the avatars to tolerating them. That's not half bad.