Xbox controller question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PrimulArchangel, May 10, 2012.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys :) 

I just got WFC for my PC , yeah i know im slow lol but Steam had it on sale for 8$ so i thought i would give it a shot.. Using the keyboard and mouse to control everything is killing my hands. Will an Xbox controler work on a PC ? Im guessing that if it does ill have to install some kind of driver? Or does anyone know of a good cheap controler i could buy ?

I never really played a PC game that required a controler so i just don't know lol

Thanks in advance :) 

-Curt

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You've got to buy a piece of Hardware, and RF base that connects to the PC. Unless you can find a wired controller. Which I don't know if it's still an active sku.

3. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

Well, a console 360 controller won't work with a PC. They did however, release an xbox style controller specifically for the PC. I always use WASD/mouse, so I can't help you much regarding another controller. : /

4. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm so then instead of going the xbox route i would probably have better luck buying a controler thats made for PC Gaming ? I was asking about the xbox controler because my nephew has them and i was just going to ask him if i could use one for a while... But if it means buying more stuff to use it then it sounds like a PC Controler will be the best thing to get..

Yeah i liked playing with the mouse and keyboard but i have carpal tunnel in both of my hands so it cramps them up after about 20 min of play..

I think i will look up some PC Gaming controlers
    Thanks for the replys :) 

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Xbox 360 controllers will work natively in newer Windows Environments. The only trick is that you need to buy the PC wireless adapter is you use a wireless controller. Wired Controllers should be recognized when you plug them in. You can usually find either in the PC Hardware section of places like Best Buy.

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Incorrect.

The XBox 360 controllers are designed to work with Windows. When you plug them in, they auto install and they're listed in the device manager as an input device and says "Xbox 360 controller for Windows".

No muss, no fuss, just plug it in and go. WFC auto maps the keys for you. I use a 3rd party, no name, cheapo Wal-Mart 360 controller worked like a charm. I still use it to this day. I use it for VALVe games such as Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc. If a game won't map to the controller, you can use a program called xpadder.

Buy a 360 controller, it'll fix all your problems, you'll be fine.

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

If you go the wireless route, there are many bootleg recievers out there on the cheap. They don't work very well, the one I have (which I thought was real at the time of purchase) has a range of about 6-12 inches and will randomly disconnect. It only works with one of my original controllers and not the newer ones, I also had to force windows to recognize the reciever for what it was. My friends has a better range (2-6feet) but also has issues with disconnects.

MS is selling black controllers and recievers again for $60. I've seen them at Frys and Best Buys in the pc hardware sections.

I also got WFC when it was on sale and have been using the controller. It works great, but you lose accuracy that some people can dominate with. Since I'm primarily Scientist with the EMP Shotgun it's not much of an issue.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't have any stock wired controllers, but when I plug my Street Fighter pads in my PC the OS automatically loads drivers for them.

9. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Look at the reviews, you don't always get the official one.

I ordered mine through Amazon from another company, box shot was the official product and the packaging looked official when I got it. Mine was still a knock off.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As said, if you have a wired official 360 controller all you have to do is plug it into the PC and it will be recognized by the OS. Many games even recognize that you are using a 360 controller, Skyrim for example, and change the in game prompts (I don't know about War).

If you have a wireless one then you need the adapter listed above. I have owned one for years and love the thing. Any 360 controller can be used on the PC with it. Avoid knockoffs though.

And no, the plug and charge cable does not turn a wireless controller into a wired one. When using that cable, data is still transferred wirelessly. Only power is being supplied.