Xbox 360 Wireless Ntwking Options?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rod, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Since launch day I've been using the original Xbox's Wireless adapter which works fine for downloads and such, but I see a bit of choppiness from time to time. My Wireless router (a/b/g) is less than 100ft away, and I dont see much difference in speed when using my laptop, Wii, or DS.

I'm considering buying the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, but I'm wondering what other WL options you guys use and the pros/cons

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 360 only worked with the MS produced Wi-Fi adapters.

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    USB Options:
    None. The only adapter that will work is the official 360 one. ($100)

You have the exact setup I do. When saying "choppyness", I think you mean netlag ... when your players start hopping around ... and the game becomes unplayable at times.

Since your Wii and PC are fine ... I'm saying that the Xbox 1 adapter works perfectly ... it could easily be a ISP network, a game server or a individual game player issue.

- If you're playing with someone that has a poor connection, you'll hit nasty lag.

- If you're playing something popular (especially Halo 3) during peak hours, you'll hit lag.

- If you're playing via cable internet, and your entire area is densely populated, you could see slow transfer rates.

- If someone in your home is juicing the bandwidth (downloading, uploading, streaming) while you're playing, you'll lag terribly.

For example:
    Last night during Halo 3, the population of Social Team Slayer was 90K. For the next 10 minutes, I couldn't even get into a game. When I finally did, the population dropped to 55K.

It looks like a game server toppled over, hit capacity, and died.

This happens.

Just know that your setup should work just fine. There's no issue with the RJ-45 Xbox 1 adapter.

4. FatMick Prime

FatMick Prime Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

News Credits:
    You can use a wireless bridge/access point, and connect to the 360 via ethernet. The 360 then just thinks it's on a wired connection.

Might be a bit cheaper than using the official MS 360 WiFi Adapter, but would be a bit messy to configure - i.e. you would have to connect the access point to a pc to configure it.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'm using the original Xbox adapter as well and I've never had an issue with it. I do get lag from time to time but its a natural occurance and nothing I would blame on it specifically.

6. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    The LAG might not be from your wireless but could be from your ISP. I know every once and while ISP goes bananas and lags out so much that I cannot even surf the web.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Up until last year I used a D-Link 802.11a -wireless bridge.
    That's right -a.

I very rarely had any type of lag.
    Then I got a new router that would not associate with anything below 802.11b so I bought a Buffalo Airstation that uses the wireless G standard.

I get lag occasionally, about the same as I did with the original equipment.

8. Spanky2324

Spanky2324 Member

That happened to me today. Looked at my connection speed it said 1mbps. I was saddened greatly.