Xbox 360 USB storage update now available

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While updates to other consoles have resulted in the removal of a feature the majority of people didn't care/knew about, Microsoft rolled out a update to the XBox 360 system that added support of USB storage devices from 1GB to 16GB in size.

Link

So, if you have any spare flash drives sitting about, you can now use them to store installed games, DLC and save files in one place. And you can use two flash drives at the same time giving you a total of 32GB extra storage space. You are only limited by the number of flash drives you have lying about. Now's the time to get those Mass Effect 2 installs, save games and DLC all in one handy place.

Course, you could always stock up on Flash Drives or splash out on the official ones when released (though they might be a bit pricey). Alternatively, there is the 250GB HDD available now.

Also of note from the Joystiq article is the addition of the screen grab, showing that the USB drivers are now enabled and that you can do the content transfer right from your XBox. So no more messing about with your PC and Xbox after you upgrade to a larger drive.

I'm sure some will see this are terrible that Microsoft are limiting you to 16GB and won't trust a big corporation since they touched you in the bathing suit area years ago, but personally, I think this is a great way to add additional storage to the XBox, and also allow you to easily carry stuff like your entire Rock Band track list and DLC to a friends house, or a large XBLA game you just couldn't fit on the previous memory cards.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's about time they did this.

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Now we can use these as legit storage drives, is it possible to move my music onto the xbox hard drive directly?
    Just me being lazy, but I really dont want to have to rip from CDs one by one, and the xbox takes ages to load from the USB drive.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am stoked!

So here's my vaguely related question:
    I want to use a new larger 360 Hard Drive. Can I forego trying to get a transfer cable by moving all my pertinent saves and DLC to USB sticks, plugging in the new drive, and transferring my Gamertag to it?

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Theoretically. Some saves are "stuck" on the hard-drive though and might not transfer at all.

6. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Better than nothing, more would be better but you take what you are given. I think it's funny that they'll try to sell their own overpriced flash memory. Either way, it's an improvement over their overpriced hard drives.

7. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Nice! I still have 13.1 GB free on my hard drive and no memory cards yet,so I am set!

8. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    fuck yea. now I need to get me 1 or 2 16g flash drives and ill be set

9. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think so.
    As far as I am aware, to use a flash drive on the 360 it need to be formatted and this will then render it unable to be read by a PC.

So it wouldn't be a case of filling up a flash drive on the PC with MP3, sticking it into the 360 and copying it.

At least, I don't think it would.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Balls, there goes the lazy option :( 

11. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    The 360 creates a memory card partition on the flash drive, so if you have a 32Gb drive, you'll still have a 16Gb partition that you can use with a PC. Additionally, I believe the 360 can read from both partitions at the same time, so you can play mp3s from the drive as well as an arcade game. Obviously, your PC won't be able to access the data on the 360 partition. Granted, I haven't tested this yet but it's what I've heard.

Also, yes the "official" 360 flash drives are overpriced, but part of that cost is because they are high speed. You aren't going to get very fast load times with a $5 bargain bin flash card, so if you plan on loading a lot of data directly from the card, you should invest in something with a bit higher quality.

12. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't own an X-Box 360, but I read the original post, and have to say that is so odd that Microsoft would restrict the usage of USB drives larger than 1GB for so long!?!?!

What's up with that? So you mean to tell me that you have a gaming system that can play media...but you couldn't use a USB drive larger than 1GB to move the files? I hope I'm understanding that wrong.

I bought a PS3 a while ago, and that was one of the first things I started doing with the system...playing movie trailers and movies I had stored on my 16GB USB drive. Did Microsoft do that to force you guys to buy their hard drive? Just seems odd that the company that brought us Windows, would restrict you guys in such a way...

13. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Um, no, you are completely confused as to what's going on. The 360 has always been able to recognize any sized usb storage for media access, such as music and video. The change allows up to 16Gb of a usb device to be used as a 360 memory card. This allows you to save 360 data on a usb device, which you couldn't do before.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  14. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Oh word. Good. I was really feeling for my friend...cause he has an X-Box 360, and it was a pretty snazzy system from what I could tell, and that restriction seemed so weird.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Question:

Can I use a flash memory card or usb external HDD to keep and play the XBLA versions of Perfect Dark and Ikaruga? Those are the only games I want for the 360, so I am thinking of getting an Arcade model just for those.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yarp.

17. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    You're better off playing games from a flash drive. Microsoft has said that while usb hard drives are compatible, the load times are pretty slow.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  18. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Nice. So is RROD still a problem? Does it only affect specific models?

Also, out of those 16GBs, how much space is used by the system for things such as settings and profile information?

19. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My 360 arrived in sept 08 [right before surgery] and it works great.
    No HDMI cuz its was refurb though.

So now i can use a usb drive to hold my XBLA games? HELL YEA!
    thatll free up some space, i have 3.3gb left...out of 120gb
    too many installs

20. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    due to mathemetics (1gb is sold as 1000megabytes, but in reality is a little more so you get less gb than advertised), an on my psp i get about 15.3gb out of a 16gb stick