<--- xbox 360 newb (GH question)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by frenzyrumble, Jan 9, 2009.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I got one last week along with GH3, awesome fun game, and as a guitarist, still can't beat anything higher than Medium level (though I have 98%+ and 5 stars on all songs)

I wanted to know if I can play GH2 and 1 using xbox 360 and the GH3 guitar. I know it might sound like a stupid question, but to be honest, I purchased a xbox game without knowing I'd need an account to be able to play it with the 360

Also, are there "hidden" songs on GH3?

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

It's probably saying you need an Xbox live accuont so you can connect and download whatever patch you would need to get the game be backwards compatible. I think if you sign up for a Xbox live "silver" account should be good enough. Gold is the one you pay monthly for.

Only some orignal Xbox games are compatable for the Xbox 360. I forget where the compatability list is at, Ill add an edit in later if I can find it.

3. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Alternatively, you can get Rockband 1/2 or GHWT. They all work with the GH3 guitar.

4. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can play GH2 using the GH3 Les Paul because there is a 360 GH2 game. There is no GH1 360 game so you can't play that. There were no oxbox GH games.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    do i need this "silver account" in order to do this?
    Also, how can I hook up my Xbox onine without running a long wire to the router? I would guess they have an airport type wireless way to connect? Can I create an account on my pc and activate from there.

What's good about being online with xbox? i don't want to play multiplayer, but hoping there are "extras" for GHWT if I do?

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Wait, I am extra confused now. There was no guitar hero 1 game? I honestly didn't even know there was an "xbox" and an "xbox 360" until after I bought mine.

What is the "GH3 Les Paul"?

7. Banshee

You can play any game without hooking up your xbox360 online.

A silver account is free. You can sign up directly from the xbox. You can download demos, buy online games, buy extra content (like songs for Rockband and GH), etc. buying things works with points, that you can get from cards at your local game store, or with a credit card.

A gold account is not free, and lets you play online against other players.

You can buy a wireless adapter for the 360, but I hear it's pricey. You'll also need a router or a wifi broadcasting device on your pc. (or a stupid neighbor eheh )

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think GH1 came out on XBOX360.

Also, a Les Paul is a type of guitar. The GH3 wireless guitar is a Les Paul replica.

8. DaggersRage

The "Les Paul" is just a style of Guitar Hero controller, but apparntly Guitar Hero 1 was never made as an Xbox game.

As for Xbox Live Silver, I dont know much about because I went straght for Gold, but I think you can use it to still download game content.

If you want to have wireless for you Xbox 360, there is a wireless adapter that you can buy for it.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I have a regular wireless router for my cable, I pull signal for my macbook with it, can I use this to pull a signal for the xbox, or do i need this adapter?

Thanks for the info guys!
    I can't wait to play gh2 haha.

one more thing, is it necessary to learn hammer-ons and pull-offs in order to play hard/expert level songs? I can't seem to strum any of the solos and I can't grasp the technique (i think playing an actual guitar hinders my GH abilities)

10. Banshee

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't hook up your macbook to your xbox to piggyback on a wifi connection. If you wan't a wireless connection for your xbox, you'll need the Microsoft adapter, or a compatible 3rd party (if one exists).

Not at all, but it is easier for solos. keep practicing! :D 

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I have a wireless router in my home, can my xbox pick up it's signal?

12. DaggersRage

Only if you have the Xbox wireless adapter.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  14. DaggersRage

Well the reviews are happy about it. Frankly, I'd just get a ethernet cord and connect if you happen to have it. Sense you dont plan to play it online you dont really need to have it connected all the time.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I checked local craigslist, saw some adapters for $40, but we'll see, I just wanna eventually maximize my xbox gameplay. It would be fun to play against other newbs on GH

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You don't need any officially licensed bullshit adapter, go buy any wireless g adapter and it will work just fine.

Anyways, if you like GH3, I highly recommend picking up Rock Band or Rock Band 2, which is a much much better game, and as far as the note charts go it is much more accurate compared to the song itself, whereas a big part of the reason the songs on say GH3 are hard is due to overcharted note charts. Rock Band is also made by Harmonix, the same people that did the first 2 Guitar Hero games, which are also better than GH3.

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    good to know. it's a completely different guitar and game though, isn't it?

I am quite pissed, the dumbasses at blockbuster....
    I rented GH world tour, got home, opened it and it was GH3...so I went back (30 minute drive)
    Got home with GHWT, disc had a major scuff mark on it - xbox won't read it no matter how hard i clean it. so, gotta go back AGAIN. a-holes.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Speaking of Rockband, can I get just the guitar and game or do i need the whole set (drums/mic/etc)?

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You don't need the whole kit to play it. Hell, you can even use your GH 3 guitar with Rock Band/Rock Band 2, though that is only on the 360 version.

20. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

Okay, here's the rundown:

GH1: No 360 version, but if you have the 360 version of GH2 you can pay to download some songs from GH1 to play on GH2. They come in packs of 3 for 500MSP ($6.25 US) each.

GH2: PS2 and 360 versions; 360 version adds 10 on-disc songs and the ability to download more, including several from GH1 and a couple new packs.

GH3: Not compatible with Rock Band guitar controllers. In terms of secret songs, you can use the money you earn in Career mode to buy bonus songs in the in-game store, and when you beat Career (on any difficulty, AFAIK), you unlock "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce. Beyond that, there's a pretty good selection of downloadable songs--a few freebies, mostly 3-packs that cost 500MSP, and Metallica's Death Magnetic album, which costs 1440MSP.

GHWT: Decent selection of downloadable songs; now it's only 440MSP for a 3-pack ($5.50 US) or you can buy individual songs from a 3-pack for 160MSP ($2 US) each. Has the same Death Magnetic album DLC as GH3; that is, if you downloaded it for GH3, it will work with WT, and if you download it through WT and then go back to GH3, it will work with GH3. You only need to download it (and pay for it) once to have it on both games. Compatible with all Rock Band peripherals (even drums; the game moves the notes from the fifth column into other columns to make Rock Band's 4-pad kit work).

Rock Band: Compatible with all Guitar Hero peripherals (except possibly GHWT drums, not sure about those). 55 of the 58 songs on-disc (all of them except "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, the cover of "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, and the cover of "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden) can be exported to the 360 HDD for a one-time fee of 500MSP (as I recall; I might be wrong on the price). Exported songs can be played on Rock Band 2. So if you have Rock Band 2, you don't really need the Rock Band 1 disc unless you really like the songs that can't be exported. (I suggest borrowing it from a friend, then exporting to your 360.)

Rock Band 2: Compatible with all Guitar Hero peripherals (even drums). Massive in-game setlist (one song short of being as long as GHWT's).

Rock Band DLC: All downloadable songs for Rock Band games are compatible with both games; if you get the first Rock Band and download songs for it then use Rock Band 2 those songs will all appear on the Rock Band 2 song list as well, and the same goes for the reverse. Costs 440MSP for a 3-pack or 160MSP for a single song; some songs are offered for a discounted 80MSP. Any song from a pack (including albums) can be purchased individually. Several full album downloads available. Also, there are some packs that are larger than 3-packs, like the Boston and Grateful Dead 6-packs and the Nirvana 7-pack. For large packs (such as albums and the aforementioned), pricing varies based on pack size.