Xbox 360 Elite + flat panel computer monitor = no movies/DVDs

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flywheels, Sep 12, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I finally decided to download a movie today off of the Marketplace since I had the day off...but unfortunately for me I found out that my computer monitor doesn't support HDCP. So I just wasted about $4.50 on movie download. All the more reason to buy that expensive wireless antenna and move the Xbox downstairs and attach it to the new Toshiba HDTV we bought upon moving into our new house.

Why does Microsoft gotta make things so darn complicated? The monitor works great on games and such, just the push of a button to toggle between the analog & digital signals...but no movie support.

Aggravated to say the least...

2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Then just use the analog connection for the movie.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I understand your frustration, but I hardly think it's Microsoft's fault.
    Microsoft has to put HDCP (High Definition Copy Protocol -sometimes called High Definition Copy Protection) on those videos on the Marketplace.

That is one of the reasons studios have let Microsoft have a Video Marketplace.

I am sure there are some monitors that support HDCP -not that that helps your situation.

And, Flywheels I know you know the acronym you used, I am trying to save some others from having to go to Google. :thumb 

4. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

I swear, this could be used in at least 70% of threads like this. :rolleyes2 

5. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And fixed for the rest of the threads. :tongue: 

6. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If only it was that simple.

I've got the Xbox hooked up to the computer monitor using the HDMI cable running unto a DVI adapter that is plugged into the monitor. Therefore you only get the audio via the analog signal...not the video.

The way I look at it I've got a couple of choices.
    1) Leave the set up as is and not worry about videos/DVDs
    2) Buy a wireless network adapter and move the Xbox to the HDTV in the living room

I'm OK leaving the setup as is, but since I got my wife's blessings to move it to the living room and possible buy the HD DVD player, I'd love to move it. Only thing though is I don't know how reliable the Microsoft wireless network adapter is. Currently I'm hardwired into the 'net and you just can't beat that. The way our house is set up, the router would be upstairs in the right front portion of the house and the living room is downstairs in the back right portion of the house. I'm not sure how strong the signal would be having to travel through the floor of the house as well as from the front to the back.

Before I had the a new ethernet outlet installed upstairs, the wireless signal was very weak when it had to travel from one side of the house to the other and up through the floor. On the upside, my wife's new laptop gets a great signal no matter where she's in the house...so I can't figure out all of this stuff. I don't wanna spend $100 on that MS wireless adapter if I'm gonna have a crappy signal. Last thing I want is to be booted out of a deathmatch of Halo 3 because the signal is too weak.

Has anyone here on the boards used the MS wireless network adapter before? Anyone have a wireless network in the house where your router and wireless devices are far apart from each other?

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I use a Realtek wireless router and then use a Buffalo Air Station wireless bridge\access point. The Xbox is wired into that.

I got the Buffalo because it has four ethernet ports so it is like a hub, only it has the wireless signal as the 'uplink'. I thought that would be a good way to be ready for future devices -but it turns out nearly everything is Wifi out of the box now.

I have a couple of friends who have the wireless adapter. I haven't really heard them say anything good about it, but I haven't heard them complain either.

I sent you a friend request, BTW.

8. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

:lolol 

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to tell you how to do your business, but why would you want to watch HD movies on your PC monitor (which I'm sure has a high resolution, before some PC lovers jump down my throat about 1600x1200 is WAY better than 1920x1080) when you can watch it on (I'm assuming) your larger HD television with most likely some sort of surround sound?

10. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not like I preferred to watch the movies on my computer monitor, but it's all I've got at the moment. Until I can figure out a way to get a good strong wireless signal downstairs, the Xbox will be staying hardwired upstairs in my office.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it helps, I have the Linksys a/g/b dual band router with the Microsoft wireless adapter and it works flawlessly on the A band through 5 walls accoss a 1400 square foot apartment.

12. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    So why not just put a 32" HDTV in your office? Problem solved...lock this thread up.

13. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Appreciate the feedback!

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Couldn't you just get an X-box 360 vga adapter? I mean it would bypass your need to go digital and you could leave the set up as is.